Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Hi

I have an old 3G iphone(running 3.1.3) which I want to take all my contact list information to my second iphone which is 3GS running 6.0.1.

What should I do to transfer the contact list from my 3G iphone to my 3GS iphone?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
The most straightforward way would be to sync your old phone with your computer. And then sync the new phone.

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
The most straightforward way would be to sync your old phone with your computer. And then sync the new phone.

I connected my 3G iphone to the computer - iTunes pop and says: "Set Up your iphone

This computer has previously been synced with an iphone or another iOS device.
* Set up as a new iPhone
*Restore from backup of ____

what will happen if I choose set up as a new iPhone?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Can you sync between different devices same data?

Not sure what you are asking here. If you are asking if you can sync multiple devices with the same computer, the answer is yes.

If you are asking if you can sync between two iPhones directly, the answer is a bit more difficult. Obviously, you could do this easily with iCloud, but the OS on your iPhone 3G is not compatible. You can probably do it through Google, but I'm not sure of the process.

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Not sure what you are asking here. If you are asking if you can sync multiple devices with the same computer, the answer is yes.

If you are asking if you can sync between two iPhones directly, the answer is a bit more difficult. Obviously, you could do this easily with iCloud, but the OS on your iPhone 3G is not compatible. You can probably do it through Google, but I'm not sure of the process.

I'm in a tricky situation due to the fact that I'm running iOS 3. Furthermore, I haven't backed up this phone lately, so it's a problem to syn the up-to-date contact list.

Hmmm... If I choose the first option, which is set up a new device, all my data will get erased.

Problem, I'd say..I think I'll take the take and do it manually. Thanks anyway.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.