Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FearTheD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
So I'm on my second iPhone 5. The first one I got on launch day, and since there were no cases out I used it without one. The next day it fell on concrete and the metal band was dinged to the point where the silver aluminum was showing, and there were a few scratches. Since then i put a black bumper on it. Thankfully, my iPhone developed some problems and after a trip to the apple store I got it replaced for a brand new one. This one currently has the bumper on it. Like a lot of other folks, I think the iPhone 5 looks amazing without a case, but in order to keep it in pristine condition like I like my things, I have had to put a case on it. My question is, if I put ghost armor on it, will that be enough to protect it from dings and scratches from drops? Or will a case still be necessary?

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
So I'm on my second iPhone 5. The first one I got on launch day, and since there were no cases out I used it without one. The next day it fell on concrete and the metal band was dinged to the point where the silver aluminum was showing, and there were a few scratches. Since then i put a black bumper on it. Thankfully, my iPhone developed some problems and after a trip to the apple store I got it replaced for a brand new one. This one currently has the bumper on it. Like a lot of other folks, I think the iPhone 5 looks amazing without a case, but in order to keep it in pristine condition like I like my things, I have had to put a case on it. My question is, if I put ghost armor on it, will that be enough to protect it from dings and scratches from drops? Or will a case still be necessary?

I appreciate how Apple will accept a phone with issues that can so obviously be attributed to being dropped on concrete. I however, don't appreciate the culture that this is promoting. If you drop your phone on concrete you do not deserve a replacement if any defects occur after the drop. You're lucky. Side note a skin will not protect your phone from a drop on concrete.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I appreciate how Apple will accept a phone with issues that can so obviously be attributed to being dropped on concrete. I however, don't appreciate the culture that this is promoting. If you drop your phone on concrete you do not deserve a replacement if any defects occur after the drop. You're lucky. Side note a skin will not protect your phone from a drop on concrete.

Agreed considering apple will just start to pass off this cost to the consumer and not eat it themselves.

FearTheD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Agreed considering apple will just start to pass off this cost to the consumer and not eat it themselves.

I was having reception problems. The phone would say 4G but I couldn't make calls not was the mobile network working. And those problems started happening about a week prior to me taking it to the apple store, not from the day I dropped it.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
To answer your question about Ghost Armor. I put it on 3 of our iPads and I have th full body on my new Nokia 920. It will protect you from scratches but not from drops. If you drop your phone and it lands right then you may be ok without scratches. But dings,probably not. If you're prone to dropping your phone and don't have insurance I suggest you get a case. If you really like the look and don't want a case, at least get insurance.

Personally I have never had insurance and never needed it. But my son goes through at least one phone on his insurance very time. It's not that he isn't careful, just unlucky. Kind of like his cars, he never causes a wreck but if he parks on the street it's assured someone will hit his car, even if nothing else is near it for blocks (happened twice). Then there's the times he has been rear ended sitting at a light...sigh. Thank goodness for insurance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.