Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:19 PM   #76
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
Something tells me you don't deal much with CL. That's why people meet at starbucks rather than at home, to avoid intrusive weirdos who insist on taking pictures and copying IDs.
I was thinking more along the lines of receipt, proof of registration, etc. Photographing their license plate does nothing for you in terms of avoiding buying stolen property, and the people suggesting that or photos are not thinking. The best thing you can do is attempt to verify a valid purchase. If you can't verify that, it's perfectly fine to walk on the deal. You could even meet them at the genius bar if you're near an Apple Store. They can obviously verify registration and make the necessary changes.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:09 AM   #77
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
I hope you are being sarcastic!
Yea I am glad you caught it haha
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:21 AM   #78
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR45 View Post
In person transaction ?

1. Take a picture of the guy

2. Take a picture of the vehicle he is driving/Lic plate

3. Demand it be activated on the spot if its a phone

4. Demand some documentation for the product being sold

5. Demand his ID to be copied or photographed

OR NO SALE
Good luck finding someone who'll give all their personal information to a stranger.

OP you might be able to use the phone on AT&T.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:36 AM   #79
Hawtin
macrumors member

Sell the iPhone on a foreign website. Blacklisting only works in the country it was blacklisted in. You'll still get 900 for it in Africa or India.
Hawtin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:40 AM   #80
ET iPhone Home
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercsliberty View Post
just curious to why you ask him that...
I was curious myself why he asked that.
iPad Air
ET iPhone Home is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:23 AM   #81
Vinamra
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Vinamra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawtin View Post
Sell the iPhone on a foreign website. Blacklisting only works in the country it was blacklisted in. You'll still get 900 for it in Africa or India.
So, 900 in India.. where its available for 512 (to be precise), brand new! You think someone will by a "blacklisted" phone for almost double the price, keeping in mind that it'll be shipped from a foreign country?

Last edited by Vinamra; Nov 28, 2012 at 06:34 AM.
Vinamra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:56 AM   #82
SR45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
Good luck finding someone who'll give all their personal information to a stranger.

OP you might be able to use the phone on AT&T.
If one is in a traffic accident, one has to provide phone number/drivers lic/Proof of insurance, etc. Many take pictures with their cell phone of the damage as well. So if one wants to sell me an item that expensive, one better provide some information. If they don't, no sale. Everyone should do this so to prevent receiving stolen stuff. Only stupid people without half a brain takes the sale face value and no personal information. I live in the real world that has may pit falls and thieves.
SR45 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:04 AM   #83
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercsliberty View Post
just curious to why you ask him that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET iPhone Home View Post
I was curious myself why he asked that.
Uhh probably because that poster had his iPhone stolen in that area or knows someone whose iPhone was stolen? Burn a braincell, people! lol
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:18 AM   #84
fubaracing7374
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixMac View Post
Surprised no one mentioned doing the swap at a carrier store so they can confirm it is legit before buying
Only way I would do it with Sprint or Verion.
fubaracing7374 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:13 PM   #85
Switchback666
macrumors 65816

Op i offer you 400usd for that iphone, pm if interested
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:44 AM   #86
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:
If one is in a traffic accident, one has to provide phone number/drivers lic/Proof of insurance, etc. Many take pictures with their cell phone of the damage as well. So if one wants to sell me an item that expensive, one better provide some information. If they don't, no sale. Everyone should do this so to prevent receiving stolen stuff. Only stupid people without half a brain takes the sale face value and no personal information. I live in the real world that has may pit falls and thieves.
Traffic accidents are one thing, but perhaps.
Anyways, you won't be buying from me.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:12 AM   #87
617aircav
macrumors 68030

Op you didnt do the most basic thing when buying a phone - make sure the damn phone works. I buy phones on craigslist every week. On monday I bought a mint iphone 4s 16gb ATT ($200). Before I paid i tested it out. I put my sim card in and made a call testing the mic, speaker, headphone jack, camera and flash, gps, internet, wifi, compass etc. I am not just going to give some stranger my money and assume that he is honest.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:22 AM   #88
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
If one is in a traffic accident, one has to provide phone number/drivers lic/Proof of insurance, etc. Many take pictures with their cell phone of the damage as well.
You have your reality confused. Exchanging information is required for insurance purposes.
JayLenochiniMac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:39 AM   #89
617aircav
macrumors 68030

Quote:
No need for all that. If the OP had verified the esn with sprint before purchasing he would not be in this situation. Would you pose for a picture and give your personal info to a stranger?
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone