Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Recently many people have been complaining of bent iPhones. Well, considering how cheaply made the iPhone 5 feels, I'm not surprised. It seems Apple went for thinness and weight savings at the cost of rigidity and durability.

The video from 1:22 to 1:55 is the sole reason I prefer polycarbonate to cheap thin metal. Flex.

VIDEO

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Recently many people have been complaining of bent iPhones. Well, considering how cheaply made the iPhone 5 feels, I'm not surprised. It seems Apple went for thinness and weight savings at the cost of rigidity and durability.

The video from 1:22 to 1:55 is the sole reason I prefer polycarbonate to cheap thin metal. Flex.

VIDEO

How is aluminum cheap metal? It's thin and light but that doesn't make it cheap. The iPhone 5 is made with such precision that it's astounding, anything but the cheap crap that many Android devices are made out of. You're confusing cheap and light as the same feeling.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I prefer not to sit on my phone/iPad or bend it.

Well do you ever put your phone in your front pocket? It seems like a lot of people with a bent iPhone 5 had their phone in their front pocket. :rolleyes:

Besides, accidents happen, and the more your phone can absorb an impact and stress, the better. Makes sense don't it? ;)

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I prefer not to sit on my phone/iPad or bend it.

I'm guessing it's for people that keep their phones in their back pocket. Although I don't know anyone that does that. It could also be a concern for those that wear skinny jeans.

[/COLOR]

How is aluminum cheap metal? It's thin and light but that doesn't make it cheap. The iPhone 5 is made with such precision that it's astounding, anything but the cheap crap that many Android devices are made out of. You're confusing cheap and light as the same feeling.

Okay there buddy. Relax! I'm sure he didn't mean to offend the iPhone built with God-like precision.

Last edited:

KnightMan

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012

Tin foil is cheap aluminum. Not all aluminum is quality. There are different grades. How is something that is so susceptible to bends, scratches and nicks considered premium to you? Seriously. This phone and current OS has had such constant string of complaints out of the gate, I am surprised at how many defend it to no end. And all I hear is how android phones are cheap plastic. When's the last time you hear how current high end Android phones are bending and scratching out of the box? So if the iPhone is made of such premium materials, why are so many people having bending and scuffing issues? Wake Up!

I find it hilarious how the blind followers are now saying lightness does not mean cheap. When the iPhone was heavier than it's direct competition, it was considered something to be associated with a PREMIUM feel. And all the Android phones were cheap and too light. Now it's the other way around.

Not saying you're one of these blind followers of course.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
The flex test was pretty amazing.

Say what you want about Samsungs cheap crap plastic, but their phones are so comfortable to pick up and hold in the hand. Aluminum may give the phone that premium look and feel but how many threads are there currently in the iphone section talking about scuffs, dings, dents, scratches, exchanging, swapping, returning, waiting, repurchasing.. all because of the aluminum.

Then I read comments about, I got a flawless phone, going to slap a plastic case on it asap! What?

I love my iPhone 4. Still my favorite phone. But I love the flexibilty Samsung provides with a removable plastic back to switch batteries, add additional storage, or even just replace the back entirely and easily after wear and tear.

Cant wait to see what apple does if they include NFC one day.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I love the fake butt for the flex test. You gotta give samsung credit, they really do know how to make a great product with good quality control. The s3's shape is much more comfortable in the hand then the sharp edges of the iphone 5 as well. I have the same complaint about the ipad mini. The edges are very uncomfortable. I played with my friends mini for hours and it definitely is less comfortable than the rounded edges of the nexus 7.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

A material that scratches and stains easily is downright CHEAP irrespective of the cost of the material.

smellysox8

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012

The iPhone 5 is as thin and light as the metal from my $0.25 soda can. Hell, even the print on the can is harder to scratch than the black iPhone 5's coating. ROFL

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
...Aluminum may give the phone that premium look and feel but how many threads are there currently in the iphone section talking about scuffs, dings, dents, scratches, exchanging, swapping, returning, waiting, repurchasing.. all because of the aluminum...

I've said it many times before. You have these iOS users that say they "gave Android a try." And then bash it after one or two "bad experiences." Yet they will will go MULTIPLE times returning their iPhone for the "perfect one." :rolleyes:
Hilarious.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Don't sit on your phone. Solved. And lose some weight.

These :D plus get some loose pants.

----------

I've said it many times before. You have these iOS users that say they "gave Android a try." And then bash it after one or two "bad experiences." Yet they will will go MULTIPLE times returning their iPhone for the "perfect one." :rolleyes:
Hilarious.

Noooooo they say that is top notch costumer service :eek:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Aluminum isn't the cheapest metal but its buy no means a precious metal. The same could be said about the plastics used with certain android phones.

Apple and Samsung are businesses trying to sell the most buy spending the least. It's all about the end product and how the consumer perceives it.

I feel my iPhone 4S FEELS like a high quality product. I feel the same way about my Xoom and Nexus 10. All of which were made is some crappy factory under terrible working conditions. Also they are were absolutely pristine out of the box.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Aluminum is cheap. May look nice but it is cheap. Ever take bags of aluminum cans to a scrap metal yard? Yeah you need A LOT to make any money worthy of spending the gas money to get there.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
For those who aren't visiting the iPhone forums, here's "Bendgate":

iPhone 5's are getting bent due to weak metal?

Pics in both these threads:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1459792/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1452478/

This one is about a spontaneous separation of the frame and screen due to the metal bending:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1465403/

An explanation, supposedly:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1495796/

Some as minimal as a slight bend, crack:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Others as severe as the frame popping out:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1536.JPG
    IMG_1536.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,304

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
For those who aren't visiting the iPhone forums, here's "Bendgate":

iPhone 5's are getting bent due to weak metal?

Pics in both these threads:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1459792/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1452478/

This one is about a spontaneous separation of the frame and screen due to the metal bending:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1465403/

An explanation, supposedly:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1495796/

Some as minimal as a slight bend, crack:

Others as severe as the frame popping out:

All 100% user error.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
1) How is aluminum cheap metal? It's thin and light but that doesn't make it cheap.

2) The iPhone 5 is made with such precision that it's astounding,

3) Anything but the cheap crap that many Android devices are made out of.

1) I concur.

Aluminum in it's many forms (alloys) is an excellent material for a vast number of products. Inexpensive... as in aluminum cans yes, but even that material has superior sheer strength and a host of other good qualities.

2) The iPhone 5 I own, (the third replacement) is sadly lacking the superior build quality Apple was once known for. My iPhone 4 and 4S models are far better than the 5. I continue to hold out hope that Apple will return to building the high quality products of their past... instead of the current trend, which is pumping out a massive quantity per day, day after day with the highest priority being profits. There is a balance of both profit and quality which can be easily achieved, they've done it before, they can do it again.

3) You have lowered yourself to the _gutter_ when claiming that Android devices are made out of "cheap crap".
Sadly this comment reduced the credibility of your post to that of which you were responding.

It's a real shame that some Apple enthusiasts are so obsessed with trashing the competition, that it cripples their ability to hold an intelligent conversation.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
That changes the fact that the phones are made cheap how? Show me pics of past iPhones doing that.

It's not made cheap. People are just inept.

Ineptitude will undo even something as slick as an iPhone.

Some people should not have nice things.

crashed-ferrari-pic-cen-602680668.jpg

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Aluminum is cheap. May look nice but it is cheap. Ever take bags of aluminum cans to a scrap metal yard? Yeah you need A LOT to make any money worthy of spending the gas money to get there.

I'm not defending the iphone, but there is a reason aluminum is the metal of choice for structural members in planes, motorcycles and cars. And single block of billet aluminum is not cheap in either cost or material. That said, the S3 feels much better in the hand over the iphone. It is just more natural and organic, like soft grain leather or wood. The iphone feels sharp, cold and dead, like most metallic objects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.