Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:45 AM   #101
anvikapur
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Belgium-iPhone.Lesoir.be claims that Apple will be delivering the new 21.5" iMac to Apple Premium Resellers in Belgium starting on Wednesday. Meanwhile, the 27" iMac model is still believed to be scheduled for December.

The site also believes that the new iMac would be available for online orders at approximately the same time.

Separately, we received an unconfirmed tip saying that the new iMacs would be ready to order tomorrow, Tuesday, November 27th. We're not sure if the time difference (6 hours behind U.S. Eastern) explains the conflicting time frames or if one (or both) are simply wrong. Neither sources has a track record, but both guesses are certainly realistic. Apple originally claimed that the 21.5" iMac would begin shipping in November.

Update: Purported email sent to resellers from a distributor:

Article Link: New iMacs to Go On Sale as Early as Tuesday?
thanks for sharing the info as new iMac to go on sale as early as tuesday
anvikapur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:48 AM   #102
F1 Fan
macrumors regular

So if you're planning to upgrade your iMac, what do you plan on doing with all those extra millimetres of space behind the display? Maybe put a poster on the wall behind your desk?

I still can't believe that Apple think anyone cares that their desktop is a bit thinner.
F1 Fan is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:50 AM   #103
JayJayAbels
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Fan View Post
So if you're planning to upgrade your iMac, what do you plan on doing with all those extra millimetres of space behind the display? Maybe put a poster on the wall behind your desk?

I still can't believe that Apple think anyone cares that their desktop is a bit thinner.
I care. Welcome to the future.
JayJayAbels is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:02 AM   #104
MacDouble
macrumors member

Seems like no iMac today.
Perhabs tomorrow or friday or next month or 2013. Who knows...
MacDouble is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:04 AM   #105
segovius
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to segovius Send a message via Yahoo to segovius Send a message via Skype™ to segovius
Quote:

Apple don't think anyone cares or doesn't care - and they're right. Apple knows that they have a zombie legion of blank canvasses ready to be implanted with whatever Apple desires.

If they turn up next year with a 2 metre thick iMac on a tripod then people will be 'realizing this is what they wanted all along' and welcoming the brave new world while kicking out at that luddites who don't recognize the inherent divinity....
segovius is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:08 AM   #106
Monkeydude
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkker007 View Post
21.5.......You know what?... even the "OLD" Mac was generations ahead of the PC. Anything with the "Apple" logo on it, is Miles ahead......
I'm so tired of the BS Negative's..........

Dont like the new Mac?..... hate the iPad Mini?........... Iphone 5? such a disappointment...???

well...... hey, the Alternative/ Competition is right there....!!!

Shut your mouths and vote with your wallet's...

Jesus!!!! its nearly 2013..... there are more important things to crap on about...

" the new Mac isn't 'this" it isn't "That".......... Get a grip! its just a computer.
So i think a computer-forum is NOT the place where you should be. Cause this is about discussions and that means, there are people with different opinions and a forum is the place to share exactly that. So if you don't like it and want to care about something more serious - vote with your mouse.
www.unicef.org
Monkeydude is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:14 AM   #107
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:

Let me help un-confuse you. Desk space is a premium for me. The further I can push my machine to the wall, the better. The iMac was already pretty much user unserviceable, so what confuses me is why so many non-iMac users are getting their panties in a bunch over the current design.

Honestly, if Apple "goofed" it was in removing the discrete graphics in the mini. The mini was my first choice until I saw they gimped it for no good reason.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:24 AM   #108
jmgregory1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post
Apple don't think anyone cares or doesn't care - and they're right. Apple knows that they have a zombie legion of blank canvasses ready to be implanted with whatever Apple desires.

If they turn up next year with a 2 metre thick iMac on a tripod then people will be 'realizing this is what they wanted all along' and welcoming the brave new world while kicking out at that luddites who don't recognize the inherent divinity....
For Apple, thickness is a feature they are marketing in much the same way that being made of aluminum is. To some people these things matter, or at least are something that appeals to them. It's not much different than car companies touting the use of high strength steel or aluminum bits and pieces in their cars.

I thought exactly that when they were describing the friction stir welding construction. It's definitely a cool thing, but it only goes to show just how far Apple will go to get a product to fit into a design mold. There is no benefit for you or me to have a computer made using this technique compared to using glue or some other method. I'm glad there is a company like Apple pushing to do things like this, because if they weren't doing it, we would all be using the crap plastic boxes the PC makers are still putting out there.
jmgregory1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:26 AM   #109
iLondoner
macrumors regular

Location: London (the big one, not London Ohio, Texas, Kentucky, etc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Honestly, if Apple "goofed" it was in removing the discrete graphics in the mini. The mini was my first choice until I saw they gimped it for no good reason.
Agreed, I would have bought the mini by now if it wasn't for the graphics.
iLondoner is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:30 AM   #110
jouster
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLondoner View Post
Agreed, I would have bought the mini by now if it wasn't for the graphics.
And another. I don't want top end GPUs, but something a little beefier than the Mini offers would be terrific. It's a shame (well, for me) because the Mini form factor is perfect, and I already have a good monitor.

Oh well. My movie making is a hobby, not a job, so I'll keep going with what I have. Disappointed though.
jouster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:30 AM   #111
Lancer
macrumors 68000

The 21.5" is basically the Mac Mini with an good LCD and better video card. I still think it's worth the month for an AIO and if you don't need a bigger LCD.
Lancer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:31 AM   #112
segovius
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to segovius Send a message via Yahoo to segovius Send a message via Skype™ to segovius
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post
I'm glad there is a company like Apple pushing to do things like this, because if they weren't doing it, we would all be using the crap plastic boxes the PC makers are still putting out there.
Yeah, I agree with that but I get the feeling they have either run out of ideas or just pushed the envelope as far as it can go with this thinness obsession in a desktop.

They need to get back some of that innovative spark - back in the day they would have just come up with a new and kick-ass form-factor.
segovius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:35 AM   #113
Sue De Nimes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Let me help un-confuse you. Desk space is a premium for me. The further I can push my machine to the wall, the better. The iMac was already pretty much user unserviceable, so what confuses me is why so many non-iMac users are getting their panties in a bunch over the current design.

Isn't the bulge at the back of the new iMac as deep as the current iMac? In that case you won't gain any desk space at all.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:40 AM   #114
iLondoner
macrumors regular

Location: London (the big one, not London Ohio, Texas, Kentucky, etc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Belgium-iPhone.Lesoir.be claims that Apple will be delivering the new 21.5" iMac to Apple Premium Resellers in Belgium starting on Wednesday.
Re-read the first sentence. If Belgian reseller deliveries are only *starting* on Wednesday, how does this equate to a Wednesday (Europe) or Tuesday (USA) launch?
iLondoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:43 AM   #115
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue De Nimes View Post
Isn't the bulge at the back of the new iMac as deep as the current iMac? In that case you won't gain any desk space at all.
It actually has decreased, but only by 1/2 inch. Went from a depth of 7.42" down to 6.9". The difference is really nothing and I dont see how its going to be a space saver. It's a stupid design imo.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:50 AM   #116
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsy90 View Post
It actually has decreased, but only by 1/2 inch. Went from a depth of 7.42" down to 6.9". The difference is really nothing and I dont see how its going to be a space saver. It's a stupid design imo.
What's half an inch between friends!

you assume everyone's desks are backed against a wall. In fact in most cases, the desk is either facing inwards (in which case the stand and overall orientation is what saves desk space) or in the case or corporate reception areas, it is part of the area ambience (in which case looks - thin is always better - does matter).

Despite your lack of enthusiasm, I bet the thing sells like hot cakes
Confuzzzed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:54 AM   #117
UK-MacAddict
macrumors regular

Quote:

You wont be able to push the new iMac any further back than the last gen iMac. The stand looks exactly the same and unchanged. The depth of the stand determines how far back you can set the iMac not the size of the screen itself.

I like the new design. All I want is for them to make sure the quality of the product is up to scratch i.e. no yellow screens, no overheating etc. Apple need to step up the quality control of their products because its been ****** in recent years.

I'll be definitely ordering one of the 27 inch models when they are available. So please Apple don't make me have to go through another 14 exchanges like I had to with the last generation iMac.
UK-MacAddict is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:56 AM   #118
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzzed View Post

you assume everyone's desks are backed against a wall. In fact in most cases, the desk is either facing inwards (in which case the stand and overall orientation is what saves desk space) or in the case or corporate reception areas, it is part of the area ambience (in which case looks - thin is always better - does matter).

What new mac doesnt sell like hot cakes. I'm not doubting that it will sell, I just find the whole design deceiving. Yes the overall footprint is smaller but marginally and that comes at the loss of a optical drive. Most professionals that use macs and can't afford a mac pro are using iMacs. Removing an optical drive whilst make minimal improvements on actual hardware is hurting more than it is helping.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:58 AM   #119
philipma1957
macrumors 603

Quote:
Not gonna lie, but your profile pic just got me. I hate bugs
I tried to kill the bug!
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:59 AM   #120
The Phazer
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzzed View Post

I'm sure it will, because there aren't any good AIO competitors.

But I'm also sure I don't think it looks very nice, I'm sure the thermal issues have crippled the performance of the 21 inch model (a 5400 rpm drive? In 2012? That's going to really, really hurt everyday use. The benchmarks for typical use might actually be worse than it's out of date predecessor), and I'm very worried that given Apple's track record on this that it'll lead to long term issues.
The Phazer is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:59 AM   #121
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:

Like JayJay says, I care as well.
Icaras is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:06 AM   #122
Galatian
macrumors 6502

To all these people complaining the new iMac to be non-user serviceable: although we don't have a tear-down of ifixit.com yet, I believe it will actually be more user serviceable. On the last model you have to take of the glass, then the display and then take put the motherboard to get to the hard drive cage. I expect to just take the back of on the new 27" model an be able to put in a new hard disk, a new SSD stick from OWC and more RAM if I desire so. Time will tell but for me that would be an improvement!
Galatian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:06 AM   #123
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:

Great example and reasoning. I definitely agree with your logic. I find it very odd people who hate the design care that much, because as you mention, the iMac was never user serviceable at all anyway. Which basically means these people are simply complaining about the removal of the ODD, which is a very redundant argument at this point.

I also agree with you on the Mac mini. What a shame really. I was very impressed to see the 2011 mini get a GPU, and then Apple takes a step backwards again. I truly sympathize for the mini user base.
Icaras is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:07 AM   #124
ApplLover
macrumors member

MacMall taking orders. Shipping in 5-7 days

Macmall.com is now taking orders for the new imac.. shipping in 5-7 days. also, 50 bucks cheaper than the apple store.

Last edited by ApplLover; Nov 27, 2012 at 07:08 AM. Reason: typo
ApplLover is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:13 AM   #125
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
What new mac doesnt sell like hot cakes. I'm not doubting that it will sell, I just find the whole design deceiving. Yes the overall footprint is smaller but marginally and that comes at the loss of a optical drive. Most professionals that use macs and can't afford a mac pro are using iMacs. Removing an optical drive whilst make minimal improvements on actual hardware is hurting more than it is helping.
No it isn't. Your just blowing this otherwise minor issue out of proportion.

As I've been saying for months now, just get an external ODD and move on with life. I'm willing to bet less than half of the people who purchase a new iMac now will need the ODD, and that minority will just continue to dwindle.

Lack off ODD is certainly not a deal breaker. Now the new mini? Losing a GPU is a deal breaker. You cant just fix that with some external solution. Huge difference if you know what I mean.
Icaras is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion