Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
Took my iPhone 5 to the Genius Bar, who told me the dead pixel on my screen is within spec. I can't handle Apple's terrible QC anymore - this is my third iPhone 5. I have a Nexus 7 under the tree (replacing my iPad 3). I'll be switching to Android when my phone contract is up.

I almost can't believe it. I've sold so many people on Apple products over the years. Sad to see it come to this.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
Is a rational conversation about defects really that bad? I'd love to learn more. It seems every device, whether it's iOS or Android has some sort of compromise.

It's okay to talk about the shortcomings of a device even if you own it. It's just a phone, you don't need to defend its honor. Lol.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
I don't know how willing you are to try again but my advice is to go back. One dead pixel is actually enough to warrant a replacement. Apple official documents outline this.

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
This is news to me. I thought it was pretty well known that ANY dead pixel or dust in the screen is exchangeable.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Tim Cook emailed and asked me to pass this on to you OP...

Attachments

• Angry Turtle.jpg
    Angry Turtle.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 127

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
One dead pixel depending on the location can be hell.

I don't know if I'd call it hell, haha. But I use the phone less because of it. I actually use my old iPhone 4 (which was perfect from day one) on wifi when I'm at home and just leave the 5 on the table so I don't have to stare at that stupid spot.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I don't know if I'd call it hell, haha. But I use the phone less because of it. I actually use my old iPhone 4 (which was perfect from day one) on wifi when I'm at home and just leave the 5 on the table so I don't have to stare at that stupid spot.

Then go back and get it replaced! Did you insist the genius replace it? Or did he or she just say no and you walked out with your tail in between your legs? Be persistent!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
1176 pixels on the iphone 5 screen and you can see 1 that's dead?
Maybe its more than one or your eye probably wont be able to spot it.
I'd go back and speak to a manager. They should replace it for you.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
I think your math is off a bit there. Usually you can even if a sub-pixel is out. They show up really well, especially on solid colors.

ben824

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
GA
No product is going to be perfect and the first batch of a new iPhone is bound to have so defective units. Hell I got the very first iPod Nano when it came out (my first Apple product) and had it replaced 5 times. Could that be annoying? Sure but with a "walk in with a problem, walk out with a new device" kind of warranty who cares? I had a 4 year warranty with Dell when I got my first laptop when I left for college. Do you know what kind of hell I had to go through to first get in touch with Boobala Boobala aka "Kevin" in India run through the same 23 questions to then talk to a supervisor who asked me another 10 questions and then we finally got to where we would make arrangements for it to be sent in. Two and half weeks later it came back with all kinds of stuff replaced that we didn't talk about and then a new problem started. Sent it in again and then it came back dead. Dealt with "Kevin" again went through 23 more questions as to which my answer was "it won't turn on, it is dead" to finally have them send a tech with a new mother board but oh wait its the wrong one. It was the mother board for a DESKTOP! The mother board was bigger than the entire lap top! Finally the send me a replacement XPS with Vista! That computer went through 2 hard drives, 3 batteries and eventually the screen completely died all within 2 years.

So do I care about defective devices? No. I care about a great no hassle warranty. Apple has got that. Pony up for AppleCare+ and you basically get the best product ownership deal out there.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
No product is going to be perfect and the first batch of a new iPhone is bound to have so defective units. Hell I got the very first iPod Nano when it came out (my first Apple product) and had it replaced 5 times. Could that be annoying? Sure but with a "walk in with a problem, walk out with a new device" kind of warranty who cares? I had a 4 year warranty with Dell when I got my first laptop when I left for college. Do you know what kind of hell I had to go through to first get in touch with Boobala Boobala aka "Kevin" in India run through the same 23 questions to then talk to a supervisor who asked me another 10 questions and then we finally got to where we would make arrangements for it to be sent in. Two and half weeks later it came back with all kinds of stuff replaced that we didn't talk about and then a new problem started. Sent it in again and then it came back dead. Dealt with "Kevin" again went through 23 more questions as to which my answer was "it won't turn on, it is dead" to finally have them send a tech with a new mother board but oh wait its the wrong one. It was the mother board for a DESKTOP! The mother board was bigger than the entire lap top! Finally the send me a replacement XPS with Vista! That computer went through 2 hard drives, 3 batteries and eventually the screen completely died all within 2 years.

So do I care about defective devices? No. I care about a great no hassle warranty. Apple has got that. Pony up for AppleCare+ and you basically get the best product ownership deal out there.

Wow, what a nightmare.
Im staying away from Dell:D

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Post a picture of the death pixel it is easy to take a print screen of the iphone

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY

Huh? Screen is 1136x640 = 727040 pixels

Not sure how you got your number?

Edit: Ok, someone beat me to it. Most laptops monitors etc. have a certain number of acceptable bad pixels. Usually at least a couple. Apple is really the exception.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.