Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGdog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
North Carolina, USA
Ever since the iPad mini was announced I knew it was the iPad for me. Its, in my opinion, the perfect size to go between a laptop and iPhone. I have been planning on getting one next month, but I kept seeing people complaining about the resolution of the screen. I even saw someone on this forum saying it was terrible. That made me concerned, and so I decided to go back to the local Bestbuy after work and look at just the screen.

I spend my day going between my 326ppi iphone and 114ppi Macbook. And I don’t have too much issue with that. May I also point out, I am in my early 20s and have 20/15 vision.

So here was my testing method, I would start with the mini. Use it for a few minutes and then use the iPad 4 and then back to the mini. Here are my thoughts from that experience.

I was kinda expecting the screen to be bad, after reading the comments I saw online. But I was a little surprised to find that it honesty did not look bad at all. It was no retina, but It looked nice! I went to several websites, text look better than on my laptop. Pictures look very sharp and colors were good, and only when I put it a few inches from my face, did I see lots of pixels. I even put my iPhone next to it, and at a lap distance, could really not tell that much difference. There was a difference, but I was not a big deal. I then moved on to the iPad 4, and wow! The screen looks amazing! Used it for a while, and went back to mini. I could tell more of a difference now, but still the iPad mini looked fine. I tried some more tests including some books and text was fine, even better when blown up on the screen (obviously). Yes, it is a little bit fuzzy, but not as bad as everyone seems to make it out to be. Text is really the only thing I could say was remotely close to being a flaw in regards to display on the mini.

So here is my closing thoughts. No its not retina, and you can tell, but compared to most computer displays it looks quite good. The only people I could see saying its a bad screen would be people switching from a retina iPad, but even then after a little time they would probably get used to it. Unless your going to be switching back and forth between them all day. I would say if you can, go look at one for yourself. As for me, I am still planning on getting one! The screen is not only perfectly usable, but in some cases (like photo viewing) it looks quite nice. Not amazing, but nice! I don’t feel apple dropped the ball on this at all. Yes, Retina would be great to have, and I will be very disappointed If we don’t see a retina mini in the next year or so. But until then, the current display is fine!

Now this is just my opinion, and some will disagree. Thats fine, and I respect your opinion. But hopefully this will help some on the fence about getting the mini due to the things they have heard about the display.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The key question is whether it is usable for reading text, especially websites, in portrait orientation without zooming. The non-retina iPads can't do this comfortably, and from my experience, and from the reports I am seeing here, neither can the mini. I ended up using my ipad 1 in landscape orientation nearly all the time to mitigate this issue. I virtually never have to rotate my ipad 4, and this is a huge part of what makes it so enjoyable to use.

TheGdog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
North Carolina, USA
The key question is whether it is usable for reading text, especially websites, in portrait orientation without zooming. The non-retina iPads can't do this comfortably, and from my experience, and from the reports I am seeing here, neither can the mini. I ended up using my ipad 1 in landscape orientation nearly all the time to mitigate this issue. I virtually never have to rotate my ipad 4, and this is a huge part of what makes it so enjoyable to use.

I would say due to both the resolution and the screen size on the mini, no.
I found myself zooming in a little on most websites. So for a ton of website reading, maybe not the top choice. Then again if I am going to do a lot of web surfing, I prefer my Macbook over any iPad.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand

I always browse with my iPad 1 in landscape mode for the same reason and expect the same when my iPad mini arrives. Not really bothered about holding it in portrait mode anyway and most websites are optimised for 1024x768 these days which suits the mini just fine. I've tried the Nexus 7 and found I had to use it in portrait mode to see more than just the top banner of a site since it is 1280x720 and in portrait the text is all too small for me and I can't hold it close and still focus due to old eyes. The mini is fine, and will travel very nicely whereas the full size iPad is a little large for my needs.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I never use portrait mode unless I'm reading a book or playing a game that requires it. That's also how I use my 3rd Generation. I can see where that would be a problem if that is how you use your ipad mainly. For me landscape is perfect. I even lock the screen to landscape.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
I would say due to both the resolution and the screen size on the mini, no.
I found myself zooming in a little on most websites. So for a ton of website reading, maybe not the top choice. Then again if I am going to do a lot of web surfing, I prefer my Macbook over any iPad.

I rarely ever ever use portrait mode unless its an app that is potrait only.

I have no problem reading without zooming at all on websites but that's my experience

Iamook

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
while I used iPad2 which is about 1 year ago, I think the screen is alway blur, comparing with iPhone4 at that time. However, The iPad mini screen does not make me think like that.

TheGdog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
North Carolina, USA
I rarely ever ever use portrait mode unless its an app that is potrait only.

I have no problem reading without zooming at all on websites but that's my experience

The iPad in the store was attached to a stand and I could not turn it. So I can't really say I have any experience with that. But this is good to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.