Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:36 PM   #1
omegasyn
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Don't Ever Upgrade Your MBA 13 For The rMBP 13

The MBA 13 i7 w/ 8GB ram is the best ultraportable laptop you can purchase from apple right now. Don't trade it up for the rMBP unless your profession depends on final cut, 3d rendering, or making anime pornography.

Please do not let all these retina ads make you switch because the rMBP 13 is basically an MBA with retina, literally.

I have both the rMBP 13 and MBA 13 btw, crazy how crisp the retina is but the novelty wears off QUICK.
omegasyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 601
 
Anonymous Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cascadia
Um... What if people actually like the crispness of Retina? What if they want more usable space than the MBA's screen offers in a similarly-sized package? What if they want two Thunderbolt ports?

Please, such sweeping proclamations, stated as if they were fact, when they are just opinion are just ridiculous.

Yes, the Retina 13" MBP isn't for everyone, but it most certainly does have a target market. That target just isn't you.
__________________

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:08 AM   #3
omegasyn
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Freak View Post
Um... What if people actually like the crispness of Retina? What if they want more usable space than the MBA's screen offers in a similarly-sized package? What if they want two Thunderbolt ports?

Please, such sweeping proclamations, stated as if they were fact, when they are just opinion are just ridiculous.

Yes, the Retina 13" MBP isn't for everyone, but it most certainly does have a target market. That target just isn't you.
Anything beyond the "recommended" retina resolution is blurry, which renders the whole retina crispness moot.

Now your argument is about the dual thunderbolt... The MBA could do so with dual thunderbolt displays but what amount of people dual display their MBA's or even MBP's?....

You also have to keep in mind that my statements are "opinions", which were consolidated from using both machines for about a good week. I am not telling people not to purchase the rMBP but please consider that the only thing going for the rMBP is the retina (which has been reinforced by multiple online reviews).

Last edited by omegasyn; Nov 27, 2012 at 12:16 AM.
omegasyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:21 AM   #4
SWPROX
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver,Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Freak View Post
Um... What if people actually like the crispness of Retina? What if they want more usable space than the MBA's screen offers in a similarly-sized package? What if they want two Thunderbolt ports?

Please, such sweeping proclamations, stated as if they were fact, when they are just opinion are just ridiculous.

Yes, the Retina 13" MBP isn't for everyone, but it most certainly does have a target market. That target just isn't you.
While your points are valid,but doesn't the MBA actually have more usable screen space then rMBP 13" at native retina resolution ? Like MBA has 1440x900 whereas rMBP has a straight doubling of cMBP13" 1280x800 resolution ?
SWPROX is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:24 AM   #5
omegasyn
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
There we go SWPROX, you're heading in the right direction.
omegasyn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:38 AM   #6
mohsy90
macrumors 65816
 
mohsy90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWPROX View Post
While your points are valid,but doesn't the MBA actually have more usable screen space then rMBP 13" at native retina resolution ? Like MBA has 1440x900 whereas rMBP has a straight doubling of cMBP13" 1280x800 resolution ?
You wanna explain that to me.

The "best for retina" option is scaled down from its native resolution to 1440x900, same resolution as the MBA. You can increase the resolution to get "more space", giving you more usable space.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegasyn View Post
There we go SWPROX, you're heading in the right direction.
You clearly have no idea what he's talking about.
__________________
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.
mohsy90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:50 AM   #7
omegasyn
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsy90 View Post
You wanna explain that to me.

The "best for retina" option is scaled down from its native resolution to 1440x900, same resolution as the MBA. You can increase the resolution to get "more space", giving you more usable space.
Have you tried using the retina on 1440x900 resolution? If so, PLEASE don't tell me the text is as crisp as the default resolution of 1280x800 resolution.
omegasyn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:54 AM   #8
mohsy90
macrumors 65816
 
mohsy90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegasyn View Post
Have you tried using the retina on 1440x900 resolution? If so, PLEASE don't tell me the text is as crisp as the default resolution of 1280x800 resolution.
I think you need to learn the difference between display resolution vs pixel resolution.
__________________
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.
mohsy90 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:08 AM   #9
omegasyn
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsy90 View Post
I think you need to learn the difference between display resolution vs pixel resolution.
But at the end of the day, isn't the usable space on the rMBP 13 still 1280x800?
omegasyn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:10 AM   #10
jfriedman8
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I have a 15" MBPr. I love it, but I'm totally prepared for the next update when all the MBP's will have this form factor, just maybe not the screen. I would have to agree the 13" isnt much of a jump up from the MBA.
__________________

2012 MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 | 16GB | Data Doubler 1.2TB
2013 Macbook Air
Retina iPad Mini: 128 GB Space Grey - iPhone 6: 128GB Space Grey
jfriedman8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:16 AM   #11
Switchback666
macrumors 65816
 
Switchback666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Caribbean
Tha hell have to do anime porn with the rmbp ?
__________________
What is The B.D.S Movement ? Check it out !
FREEDOM, JUSTICE & EQUALITY !
Switchback666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:17 AM   #12
\-V-/
macrumors 65816
 
\-V-/'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback666 View Post
Tha hell have to do anime porn with the rmbp ?


Edit: Never mind. I see the ridiculous comment about anime porn in the original post.
__________________
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is suicide.
\-V-/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:19 AM   #13
mankar4
macrumors 6502a
 
mankar4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Please go look at screens side by side. As someone who owns both computers, the difference is night and day in favor of the retina. Makes my 2012 MBA look and feel dated. Everyone in my family has only requested retinas since I got mine.
mankar4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:25 AM   #14
mohsy90
macrumors 65816
 
mohsy90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegasyn View Post
But at the end of the day, isn't the usable space on the rMBP 13 still 1280x800?
Are you talking about screen real estate? Because they're both the same at 13.3". The MBA comes with a native resolution of 1440x900 and the MBP at 1280x800. The rMBP native resolution is 2560x1600. This makes the desktop small therefore providing more space. It's very difficult to actually use it at this resolution and that is why it has been scaled down to 1440x900 default but can be changed as you please. The rMBP has way more pixels, it doesn't matter what resolution you choose, it will always look crisper and sharper than the MBA or cMBP.

Hopefully you understand the concept now. I'm tired of these people bashing on the 13" rMBP because it just has just a retina screen nothing else. If you do your research, you know thats not the sole reason and you wont regret the purchase.
__________________
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Last edited by mohsy90; Nov 27, 2012 at 01:34 AM.
mohsy90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:32 AM   #15
skaertus
macrumors 68020
 
skaertus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brazil
The retina display makes a huge difference. I wouldn't even bother considering buying a MacBook Air if I were in the market today. But the retina MacBook Pro would probably be my first choice. Although the work area in the 13" is 1280x800 (less than the 1440x900 of the MacBook Air), the actual resolution is 2560x1600, so text and images look much sharper. It is possible to zoom out documents and webpages without losing detail, and this makes the work area in the retina MacBook Pro larger than the one in the MacBook Air, despite the scaled elements.
skaertus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:59 AM   #16
SWPROX
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver,Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsy90 View Post
Are you talking about screen real estate? Because they're both the same at 13.3". The MBA comes with a native resolution of 1440x900 and the MBP at 1280x800. The rMBP native resolution is 2560x1600. This makes the desktop small therefore providing more space. It's very difficult to actually use it at this resolution and that is why it has been scaled down to 1440x900 default but can be changed as you please. The rMBP has way more pixels, it doesn't matter what resolution you choose, it will always look crisper and sharper than the MBA or cMBP.

Hopefully you understand the concept now. I'm tired of these people bashing on the 13" rMBP because it just has just a retina screen nothing else. If you do your research, you know thats not the sole reason and you wont regret the purchase.
Am not 100% sure but guess I read on the Verge review that rMBP13" scales down to 1280x800 (at native retina though you can change it,but it reduces a little of that retina effect then) and not 1440x900 and hence actually has less usable space than MBA,though it doesn't mean that MBA is better than rMBP,if I could afford the extra $$ I would have gone for rMBP instead of my MBA ,but still even the MBA is a lovely machine for the price
SWPROX is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:02 AM   #17
Canadian Bacon
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: On the Baltic Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsy90 View Post
The rMBP native resolution is 2560x1600. This makes the desktop small therefore providing more space. It's very difficult to actually use it at this resolution and that is why it has been scaled down to 1440x900 default but can be changed as you please.
Sorry, but I don't think it has been scaled down to 1440x900 by default on the 13" model, but to 1280x800 real estate by default at 'best for retina'. It's simple math. Just go to the store and open up any web page in safari on the rMBP and MBA side by side and check. The MBA displays more content when the rMBP is set at 'best for retina'.
__________________
: HP business notebook (gets the job done - yawn) 8 GB iPod nano 4G

Last edited by Canadian Bacon; Nov 27, 2012 at 03:08 AM.
Canadian Bacon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:32 AM   #18
cg399
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hurghada, Egypt
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegasyn View Post
You also have to keep in mind that my statements are "opinions", which were consolidated from using both machines for about a good week. I am not telling people not to purchase the rMBP but please consider that the only thing going for the rMBP is the retina (which has been reinforced by multiple online reviews).
I have a BTO specked out 2012 MBA (i7, 8GB RAM) and my wife has a base model rMBP 13" (with a SSD upgrade to 256GB).

I've also used both for a good while and am exceedingly jealous of my wife's machine. Not only is the display gorgeous, but the HDMI port is very handy. Also the form factor (although slightly thicker and heavier - due to the larger battery to drive the display and the non-wedge form factor) it has a significantly smaller footprint.

The i5 in the base rMPB is almost identical in performance to my ULV i7 in my MBA (so I wouldn't say the rMPB 13" is really the machine for 3D rendering).

Ultimately it is a matter of personal preference - one size will never fit all for computer users. But I wish I had the rMBP 13" - it is an amazing little machine.

P.S. Neither me nor my wife make anime pornography.

Last edited by cg399; Nov 27, 2012 at 03:38 AM. Reason: spelling
cg399 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:58 AM   #19
Jare
macrumors 65816
 
Jare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada
OP is just mad because he can't afford the RMBP after wasting his money on a MBA
__________________
"Feels like I'm wearing NOTHING AT ALL!" - Stupid Sexy Flanders
iOS, OS X & Android Developer
13" MacBook Air, Space Grey iPhone 5S, Moto X, Google Glass Explorers Kit
Jare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:19 AM   #20
Abazigal
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore
I would never consider buying the retina MBP 13" to run apps like final cut pro or photoshop. To me, it really is an issue of whether you are willing to pay a premium for a much better screen (and tolerate a thicker and heavier form factor in the the process).

The retina display is something that has to be seen in person to understand, but boy is the text and images bright, clear and crisp. Look at it side by side a normal air, and it will be as though you just came out of eye surgery!
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:25 AM   #21
throAU
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jare View Post
OP is just mad because he can't afford the RMBP after wasting his money on a MBA
OP actually owns both
__________________
MBP (early 2011) - Core i7 2720 2.2ghz, Hires Glossy, 16GB, Seagate Momentus XT 750GB
Mac Mini (mid 2007) - Core2 Duo 1.8, 2gb, 320gb 7200 rpm
iPhone 4S, iPad 4, iPad Mini, HTC One (eval)
throAU is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:27 AM   #22
mohsy90
macrumors 65816
 
mohsy90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWPROX View Post
Am not 100% sure but guess I read on the Verge review that rMBP13" scales down to 1280x800 (at native retina though you can change it,but it reduces a little of that retina effect then) and not 1440x900 and hence actually has less usable space than MBA,though it doesn't mean that MBA is better than rMBP,if I could afford the extra $$ I would have gone for rMBP instead of my MBA ,but still even the MBA is a lovely machine for the price
You know what you're right. I completely forgot we're talking about the 13" and not the 15" rMBP. My apologies to the OP. Either way, despite the scaling which can be scaled up to 1440x900, the screen will still look more crisp than a MBA. But yes, it is less crisp and sharp when compared to the default 1280x800 on the retina. I would beg to differ that it's blurry in any way.
__________________
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.
mohsy90 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:32 AM   #23
omegasyn
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsy90 View Post
You know what you're right. I completely forgot we're talking about the 13" and not the 15" rMBP. My apologies to the OP. Either way, despite the scaling which can be scaled up to 1440x900, the screen will still look more crisp than a MBA. But yes, it is less crisp and sharp when compared to the default 1280x800 on the retina. I would beg to differ that it's blurry in any way.
LOL, at least you admit your faults of misreading my post ...

I would also be trolling if I were to compare the MBA 13 to a rMBP 15...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazigal View Post
I would never consider buying the retina MBP 13" to run apps like final cut pro or photoshop. To me, it really is an issue of whether you are willing to pay a premium for a much better screen (and tolerate a thicker and heavier form factor in the the process).

The retina display is something that has to be seen in person to understand, but boy is the text and images bright, clear and crisp. Look at it side by side a normal air, and it will be as though you just came out of eye surgery!
I completely concur about it being crisp and clear, there is no doubt about that. What I am trying to say is the MBA 13 and rMBP 13 is pretty much identical machines without the retina.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg399 View Post
I have a BTO specked out 2012 MBA (i7, 8GB RAM) and my wife has a base model rMBP 13" (with a SSD upgrade to 256GB).

I've also used both for a good while and am exceedingly jealous of my wife's machine. Not only is the display gorgeous, but the HDMI port is very handy. Also the form factor (although slightly thicker and heavier - due to the larger battery to drive the display and the non-wedge form factor) it has a significantly smaller footprint.

The i5 in the base rMPB is almost identical in performance to my ULV i7 in my MBA (so I wouldn't say the rMPB 13" is really the machine for 3D rendering).

Ultimately it is a matter of personal preference - one size will never fit all for computer users. But I wish I had the rMBP 13" - it is an amazing little machine.

P.S. Neither me nor my wife make anime pornography.
I completely agree that the display is beautiful compared to the MBA but when one uses an external monitor for productivity that is not a retina display, the novelty of the retina display on a 13 inch quickly wears off.
omegasyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:29 AM   #24
pedromartins
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Porto, Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegasyn View Post
The MBA 13 i7 w/ 8GB ram is the best ultraportable laptop you can purchase from apple right now. Don't trade it up for the rMBP unless your profession depends on final cut, 3d rendering, or making anime pornography.

Please do not let all these retina ads make you switch because the rMBP 13 is basically an MBA with retina, literally.

I have both the rMBP 13 and MBA 13 btw, crazy how crisp the retina is but the novelty wears off QUICK.
No, it isn't. while i agree that the air still is the best buy, the rmbp 13" has a much faster processor, better baterry life, better screen, more ports and loses 0 on design.

Also since it was found that the rmbp has free space inside, maybe we can have a discrete graphics card next year.
__________________
I'm just a fan of Apple products and the company in itself, as long as they keep following the path of awesomeness.
pedromartins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:36 AM   #25
SWPROX
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver,Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post
No, it isn't. while i agree that the air still is the best buy, the rmbp 13" has a much faster processor, better baterry life, better screen, more ports and loses 0 on design.

Also since it was found that the rmbp has free space inside, maybe we can have a discrete graphics card next year.
Better battery life ,um no .
SWPROX is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graphic/Web Designer - Is it Worth Upgrade From '12 rMBP to '13 rMBP rkdiddy MacBook Pro 6 Oct 30, 2013 03:08 PM
MBA to rMBP to MBA back to rMBP falconeight MacBook Pro 4 Jul 4, 2013 04:04 PM
Worth ~$400 to upgrade from 13" MBA to 13" rMBP? dmk1974 MacBook Pro 15 Mar 5, 2013 09:50 AM
Upgrade to a 13" rMBP from a 2011 MBA? Bill Killer MacBook Pro 9 Feb 17, 2013 01:07 PM
rMBP vs MBA 2012...I picked MBA! christophermdia MacBook Air 10 Jun 18, 2012 09:14 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC