Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stefannoz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Adelaide
Recently purchase a new 64GB itouch,thinking would be breeze to install music, and synch with my computers.
So far have had to reinstall OS6, spent about 6 hours talking to the mac support people trying to de authorise computers, told have to wait 6 months to rectify problem XX!!!@@### because I authorized computers.
What is the matter with the people, I have about 6+ devises and want to access my music.
Mac rules are out of keeping with peoples use of computers, and lifestyle loss of computers. Then after all this told I could send an email to explain the failing of their system so help apple rectify their problem.
:(:confused::mad:
I want a refund.
This product is more problem than it worth.
2/10 for user friendliness.

jedisaga

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
Havertown, PA
All IOS devices (Touch, iPhone, iPad) have always had a 5 computer limit. You should be able to get a refund if you are within the return window.

I agree with Plutonius. It isn't a ipt5 issue, but moreso what Apple allows with their iTunes. I believe the new Samsung Galaxy Tab is pretty user friendly if you're looking for a comparable device.

J

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
You can authorize up to 5 computers for use with a single iTunes account. You can de-authorize each computer individually from within iTunes, or de-authorize them all once a year from your iTunes account. I'm not aware of any limit as to how many devices you can register with a given iTunes account.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Recently purchase a new 64GB itouch,thinking would be breeze to install music, and synch with my computers.
So far have had to reinstall OS6, spent about 6 hours talking to the mac support people trying to de authorise computers, told have to wait 6 months to rectify problem XX!!!@@### because I authorized computers.
What is the matter with the people, I have about 6+ devises and want to access my music.
Mac rules are out of keeping with peoples use of computers, and lifestyle loss of computers. Then after all this told I could send an email to explain the failing of their system so help apple rectify their problem.
:(:confused::mad:
I want a refund.
This product is more problem than it worth.
2/10 for user friendliness.

Maybe you should try and explain the problem in more detail, because what you are describing shouldn't be as difficult as you are making it out to be.

The 5 computer limit only applies to PCs or Macs. Not iOS devices. You can sync unlimited devices to an iTunes library.

apolkowski

macrumors regular
Maybe you should try and explain the problem in more detail, because what you are describing shouldn't be as difficult as you are making it out to be.

The 5 computer limit only applies to PCs or Macs. Not iOS devices. You can sync unlimited devices to an iTunes library.

This is not true if you want to keep automatic sync of purchases. I believe it is up to 10 devices.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
As someone stated earlier, there is a limit of 5 devices, but that can be reset from iTunes. Use google, it's your friend. If you're still not happy then return it. Simple

RichardVT

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2017
TORONTO

Why is there a a 5 computer limit. I have two Windows PC's a MacBook pro, an ipad, an Imac and a windows PC. so 6 devices can't add the 6th one. Who the heck decided to have a 5 device limit. Is that when we should forget iTunes and use Windows Music product instead.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Why is there a a 5 computer limit. I have two Windows PC's a MacBook pro, an ipad, an Imac and a windows PC. so 6 devices can't add the 6th one. Who the heck decided to have a 5 device limit. Is that when we should forget iTunes and use Windows Music product instead.
You are replying to a five year old thread. Things change. :)

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
This is not true if you want to keep automatic sync of purchases. I believe it is up to 10 devices.
You are correct, Apple allows only 10 autosync to a single account. If you purchase 11 iPads for your use, you will have to manually sync the 11th. I'm afraid, I do not see how this is an issue. Why do you need to use 11 or more iOS devices at once. I'm a mobile research analyst and only have ios 8 devices connected to my account and 4 Macs.

KILLED BY THE ZOMBIE THREAD AGAIN!!

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts

First of all, the iPad does not count as a computer. I count 5 computers (3 PCs, 2 Macs), unless you're counting one of those Windows PCs twice (is it a total of 3 Window PCs?). A "computer" contains an iTunes Library that can be synced (copied) to iPods and iOS devices. You cannot sync the music on an iPad to other computers or iOS devices/iPods.

5 computers can be authorized to use a particular account. 10 devices (iPod, iOS, Apple TV) can be synced to that account.

The point of these limits goes back to the start of iTunes, when the record companies were battling with the file sharing sites. They wanted to put a limit on sharing, to be sure they got paid. At the time, it was unusual for a household to have more than one or two computers. iOS devices did not yet exist, it was only iPods. At the time, 5-and-10 seemed pretty generous.

The strategy to control sharing was to prevent a person with an iPod from giving their entire music library to all their friends (and they to their friends, etc.). You can't copy a library from an iPod to a computer, you can only copy from a computer to an iPod. So, by limiting the number of computers to 5, that would limit the number of times a library could be duplicated.

Today, you can use Family Sharing to greatly increase the number of computers and the number of iOS devices/iPods that can share purchased music - up to 6 separate iTunes accounts, each of which can have 5 computers and 10 devices. The trick (or trap) is that the organizer of the share must keep a credit card on the share, and is obligated to pay for any purchases made by the other members of the share. This works fine for a family, but it puts a practical limit on sharing among friends - do you really trust your friends to not spend money on your credit card?

Now, if you have 5 computers, is it really necessary to have an iTunes Library on every one of them? Do you have one in each of five different homes, or are the computers scattered about a 25-room mansion (and if you do, why would money be a problem for you)?

Last edited:
Reactions: 26139

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
That limit applies to computers, not to iOS devices. iOS is double, I believe.

The limit is there because of licensing, so people aren't using one account on multiple computers to share with their friends.

Most people do not own more than one computer and one iOS device.

People like us are nowhere near the majority of users, and the rules are there because of them.

Genie123

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2017
Orlando, FL
I agree with Plutonius. It isn't a ipt5 issue, but moreso what Apple allows with their iTunes. I believe the new Samsung Galaxy Tab is pretty user friendly if you're looking for a comparable device.

J
I cant transfer my 951 pics from my ANCIENT ITOUCH 1st GENERATION to my IMAC. HELP SOMEONE!

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

I have three macs, and one iPad and one iPhone. I can't authorize another newer MBP. How did I get to five?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.