Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bnewcol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2011
This problem started a couple weeks ago an a few emails, and then today, all of them. I can send an email, the address of the person I am writing to is there, all correct, the email sends properly to the right person, then when I go into my sent email folder, in the "To" column, it doesn't list the person I send it to, instead, it lists a different email address of mine, not even the address I sent from. And on one of the emails, it lists someone's email address that I don't even know, is not in my address book, and they will have < and > around the address instead of listing the person's name as they normally do.
So it will say in the To column <myemail@aol.com> when I didn't even send the email from my AOL account and the email went to Mary Smith with email address of "mary.smith@gmail.com" So what is going on? Is this a virus?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This problem started a couple weeks ago an a few emails, and then today, all of them. I can send an email, the address of the person I am writing to is there, all correct, the email sends properly to the right person, then when I go into my sent email folder, in the "To" column, it doesn't list the person I send it to, instead, it lists a different email address of mine, not even the address I sent from. And on one of the emails, it lists someone's email address that I don't even know, is not in my address book, and they will have < and > around the address instead of listing the person's name as they normally do.
So it will say in the To column <myemail@aol.com> when I didn't even send the email from my AOL account and the email went to Mary Smith with email address of "mary.smith@gmail.com" So what is going on? Is this a virus?
No, there are no Mac OS X viruses in the wild, and only a few trojans.

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

In Mail, go to Window > Previous Recipients and see if the addresses you're seeing appear on the list. If so, delete them from the list. Also search your Address Book to ensure those addresses don't appear as alternate email addresses for some of your contacts.

bnewcol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2011
No, there are no Mac OS X viruses in the wild, and only a few trojans.

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

In Mail, go to Window > Previous Recipients and see if the addresses you're seeing appear on the list. If so, delete them from the list. Also search your Address Book to ensure those addresses don't appear as alternate email addresses for some of your contacts.

Yes, I knew there were no viruses for Mac, but this is too weird. The addresses are not in previous recipients or in my address book. Any other ideas? I have an appointment today at Apple store, so will see what they say.

bnewcol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Yes, I knew there were no viruses for Mac, but this is too weird. The addresses are not in previous recipients or in my address book. Any other ideas? I have an appointment today at Apple store, so will see what they say.

Further, I went in to Apple, and because I could not send email in the store for some reason. Time Warner webmail would not open up on any of their computers or mine, it was like the store was blocking it. The tech guy said "the Time Warner server must be down", it wasn't, I went home and all was fine. Has anyone had that problem in an Apple store that when what you need to show them requires sending an email on your computer on a non Mac server, it doesn't work? My computer wouldn't connect at all to Time Warner (it did connect to my home page, etc), didn't recognize my smtp server settings (which were correct) and the kid even tried going to Time Warner webmail page on his Blackberry that he said was not on Mac server, couldn't get it. So they said they couldn't help me unless they "saw" it do it, but my proof was all the emails in my sent mail that were misnamed. For some reason, he needed to see it happen, see the mail be sent, then click over to the sent mail and see the incorrect name there. I don't know what difference that could make. Does anyone?
He said he didn't know what was going on with it, never seen that before, and it may be a problem with the computer, but he needed to "see" it happen. Why isn't proof of all the misnamed emails enough? What can he "see" by sending an email, then going into sent mail and seeing it mistitled?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.