Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:32 AM   #1
GoSh4rks
macrumors regular

AT&T cross upgrade question

I know I can call in and have the iPhone that was an upgrade from lineA be activated on lineB.

Can anybody tell me if lineB's original SIM will die before the new iPhone completes its activation process? Say if I wait a week before activating the new phone, is lineB going to still be on the original SIM and not the new SIM that is in the iPhone?
GoSh4rks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:52 AM   #2
Kashsystems
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks View Post
I know I can call in and have the iPhone that was an upgrade from lineA be activated on lineB.

Can anybody tell me if lineB's original SIM will die before the new iPhone completes its activation process? Say if I wait a week before activating the new phone, is lineB going to still be on the original SIM and not the new SIM that is in the iPhone?
That is something I would do at the store. What usually happens is they will upgrade the line B and then switch line B back to the original phone.

I have never done that over the phone before but I do it at the store all the line with no issues. Ask them though, they maybe able to handle it well.
Kashsystems is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:01 AM   #3
powaking
macrumors 6502

I've done it over the phone. The thing to be mindful is do not turn on the phone when you receive it. Call the att line and there is an option to activate a phone on a different line than what it was ordered under. You will speak with a rep and you will need to provide the IMEI and CCID (sp) number. Once thats done on the system you will then proceed with turning on the phone and activating as normal.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:43 AM   #4
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816

I've done this twice now. The first time they said the sim MUST be burned.
The second time they let me keep the sim active (my husband was at work when I bought the 5 and activated it on my line, leaving him on his 4). I just asked them if I could please keep the same sim.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone