Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:02 AM   #1
kannesss
Banned

I don't get this one bit.

So. There are volume buttons on the side of my iPhone, as assume everyone has.
So my question is why the HELL did they make it when you double tap the home button and slide over, they have a volume controller ...?
That's redundant. I'd kill for it to be brightness instead of volume that is at the bottom, as I can already control the volume from the buttons they've made. It's just really annoying to have to go into settings everytime,when it could be really simple and just put it where the volume slider is.
kannesss is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:15 AM   #2
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannesss View Post
So my question is why the HELL did they make it when you double tap the home button and slide over, they have a volume controller ...?
That's redundant. I'd kill for it to be brightness instead of volume that is at the bottom, as I can already control the volume from the buttons they've made. It's just really annoying to have to go into settings everytime,when it could be really simple and just put it where the volume slider is.
Not all iOS devices have hardware buttons (although all devices since iOS 4 have them, and that's when the slider was added) and it's not always convenient to use them.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:23 AM   #3
kannesss
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Not all iOS devices have hardware buttons (although all devices since iOS 4 have them, and that's when the slider was added) and it's not always convenient to use them.
Pressing the side of the phone or iPod is hard??
kannesss is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:40 AM   #4
BRyken
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I agree. I like how iPad has the implemented with brightness easily accessible.
BRyken is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:45 AM   #5
AppleAlfred
macrumors member

Quote:
It's like you read my mind it's a major downside, and the painful tasl of going into settings to adjust brightness is one of the main reasons I jailbreak.
Apple TV, 3rd Gen
AppleAlfred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:00 AM   #6
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Ill tell you why, it's because Scott Forstall is so arrogant to the point that he doesn't realize his head is full of cement now.
JS82712 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:02 AM   #7
kirky29
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to kirky29 Send a message via Skype™ to kirky29
Agree, I'd love that to for brightness.... Hopefully iOS will improve so much now though
kirky29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:09 AM   #8
freedevil
macrumors 6502a

Well, how will you turn the volume down during a call then?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:46 AM   #9
beavo451
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
What?
beavo451 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:05 AM   #10
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

Totally agree with this! it's absolutely maddening.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:11 AM   #11
Richardgm
macrumors 6502a

While I would much love a brightness slider, I'm assuming Apple's thinking is that with "auto brightness" enabled, one wouldn't need to adjust the brightness (at least with great frequency).

I've actually only needed to manually edit the level a few times since updating to iOS 6.

On the other hand, the volume slider? It's a bit handy when playing via AirPlay.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:14 AM   #12
blastair
macrumors member

You can always use the brightness toggle feature of Launch Center Pro? It's super handy.

http://appcubby.com/launch-center/
blastair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:29 AM   #13
sviato
macrumors 68000

I had a complaint about this a while ago and people on this forum were very defensive about it. Apparently it's not redundant because it's easier to access the software volume control when the phone is connected to a dock or speakers etc.
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:39 AM   #14
Bugeyeblue
macrumors 6502

They're different volumes. I don't like it either, but the physical buttons are for ringtone and alert volume and the software one is for media volume.
Bugeyeblue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:41 AM   #15
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
yeah i forgot my finger is frozen during call.
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:45 AM   #16
kannesss
Banned

Quote:
The buttons on the side. C'mon.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardgm View Post
While I would much love a brightness slider, I'm assuming Apple's thinking is that with "auto brightness" enabled, one wouldn't need to adjust the brightness (at least with great frequency).

I've actually only needed to manually edit the level a few times since updating to iOS 6.

On the other hand, the volume slider? It's a bit handy when playing via AirPlay.
You can control the volume of AirPlay with the buttons on the side. C'mon. This is why it's so useless. If the iPad can do, then the iPhone is completely capable. Even if they just added it, like slide over one past the volume and there's brightness. That's finnnnnnne

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeyeblue View Post
They're different volumes. I don't like it either, but the physical buttons are for ringtone and alert volume and the software one is for media volume.
Go to any app. Play music. Use the buttons on the side. They turn the volume both up and down.
kannesss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:48 AM   #17
bushido
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeyeblue View Post
this.

I was sitting in class a few times already thinking that the SILENT switch would put everything on silent but noooo some games and youtube videos still have sound. So irritating
bushido is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:49 AM   #18
applefanDrew
macrumors 65816

Quote:
B/c only nerds that post on here care about changing brightness all that often. I know people who have had their iDevice for years now and brightness is still at factory default.
applefanDrew is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:12 AM   #19
mikeydeezy
macrumors 6502a

We don't even have toggles yet.
Order Placed: Sept. 12 @ 5:35am PDT
Estimated Delivery: 9/22-9/30
Jump: Yes Charged: No
mikeydeezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:18 AM   #20
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Quote:
What are you trying to get at?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:38 AM   #21
kannesss
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefanDrew View Post
B/c only nerds that post on here care about changing brightness all that often. I know people who have had their iDevice for years now and brightness is still at factory default.
So me changing a setting on my phone because I like it bright in the day and dark in the mornings when I wake up so I don't burn my eyes with blinding white light....this makes me a nerd? It's not my fault your friends don't know anything about a phone they paid hundreds for.
Go them...I guess? I guess ignorgance of technology makes you super cool now. And I'm soooooo jealous.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:47 AM   #22
applefanDrew
macrumors 65816

Quote:
So me changing a setting on my phone because I like it bright in the day and dark in the mornings when I wake up so I don't burn my eyes with blinding white light....this makes me a nerd? It's not my fault your friends don't know anything about a phone they paid hundreds for.
Go them...I guess? I guess ignorgance of technology makes you super cool now. And I'm soooooo jealous.

No, I didn't mean it as an insult. What I meant was that the majority of Apple's customers aren't like us. They don't care about adjusting brightness. They care about adjusting volume. Apple caters to the majority, not the minority.
applefanDrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:53 AM   #23
areyes163
macrumors member

I agree I would also love a easier brightness control. In work mids so I work in the dark a lot also I'm constantly changing my brightness. That would be awesome.
areyes163 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:58 PM   #24
kannesss
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefanDrew View Post
No, I didn't mean it as an insult. What I meant was that the majority of Apple's customers aren't like us. They don't care about adjusting brightness. They care about adjusting volume. Apple caters to the majority, not the minority.
True. Sorry about my response haha. I forgot that people just buy phones and don't do anything with them. I agree.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:02 PM   #25
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
The auto-brightness works a lot better in iOS5 than it did before. I actually use it, now. Haven't tried it in 6, yet.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone