Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Bobby Corwen
macrumors 68020

Delete the Youtube app and get Google Chrome instead to play music in the background.

As some of you might know the YouTube app doesn't let you play music in the background. If you exit the app it stops the music.

In the web browser, if you exit out of the app it will stop but then you can double tap the home button (and swipe left) or your headset button and you can play it as background music.

The problem is if you want to play music and browse the web at the same time you can't.

I found a delightful solution to this which is to get Chrome and run one and browse in the other.

Normally I wouldn't have bothered to load a redundant browser but I did it only for this purpose if anyone else was trying to achieve the same function; it's a nice little solution.
Bobby Corwen is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:05 PM   #2
VolceOntra
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Corwen View Post
As some of you might know the YouTube app doesn't let you play music in the background. If you exit the app it stops the music.

In the web browser, if you exit out of the app it will stop but then you can double tap the home button (and swipe left) or your headset button and you can play it as background music.

The problem is if you want to play music and browse the web at the same time you can't.

I found a delightful solution to this which is to get Chrome and run one and browse in the other.

Normally I wouldn't have bothered to load a redundant browser but I did it only for this purpose if anyone else was trying to achieve the same function; it's a nice little solution.
You should check out the Brownees app. It basically just plays the audio track of youtube videos (and allows you to save them for offline use).
VolceOntra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:08 PM   #3
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

There are plenty of apps that do this.

Jasmine and McTube to name but two.

McTube can even be set up so exiting the app doesn't stop the audio at all.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone