Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:27 PM   #26
iceterminal
macrumors 68000
 
iceterminal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas Tx.
iPhone 6?

Someone slap me please.
__________________
The amount of material possessions one owns should not qualify them as a successful or just person.

The only worth these items have is the one you give them.
iceterminal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:36 PM   #27
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
It's already out, where have you been? 5" screen is amazing! The titanium body is light but will not bend. Runs so much faster than my old 5. So happy.
Jalopybox is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:40 PM   #28
jrasero
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8 View Post
You are not. I am with you. Remember Apple is all about revenue and making shareholders happy, the once a year update no longer works, especially when you are talking about the phone looking the same for 2 years.

Recent history shows that the quarter right before the launch is the lowest in sales, so I wouldn't be surprised if Apple moves to an 8 or 9 months release cycle.

It probably will piss off phone carriers, since they actually benefit when people hold out a few months until the next iphone is out. But at this point, Apple does not care.
I can live with 8-9 month cycle. But I don't think Apple is hurting by a 12 month cycle. Creatively and hype wise having a 12 month cycle helps a lot. I think initially yes a 8-9 month cycle will generate more revenue but in the end can production handle it? Apple can barely handle the iPhone 5. Second 12 months allows Apple to not rush out products. Take for example the 4S, which should have had 4G LTE but didn't. Could/should the phone have had LTE, yes but LTE was still pretty new. If your doing a 8-9 months cycle your forcing a technology on to the market that Apple may have not mastered yet.

In the end Apple has defied competitors and vendors and that's what has made them so successful. If you wanted a huge screen, updated phone ever 6 month, and etc go with Android.
jrasero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:26 PM   #29
Tiger8
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrasero View Post
I can live with 8-9 month cycle. But I don't think Apple is hurting by a 12 month cycle. Creatively and hype wise having a 12 month cycle helps a lot. I think initially yes a 8-9 month cycle will generate more revenue but in the end can production handle it? Apple can barely handle the iPhone 5. Second 12 months allows Apple to not rush out products. Take for example the 4S, which should have had 4G LTE but didn't. Could/should the phone have had LTE, yes but LTE was still pretty new. If your doing a 8-9 months cycle your forcing a technology on to the market that Apple may have not mastered yet.

In the end Apple has defied competitors and vendors and that's what has made them so successful. If you wanted a huge screen, updated phone ever 6 month, and etc go with Android.
You have valid points too, but what happened with the iPad to me changed years of iDevice tradition. Apple sooner or later catches on demand (look at the iPad 3, and now the iPhone 5) and then goes into the next thing.
Tiger8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:44 PM   #30
kre62
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I cant see how anyone can say that the 5 isnt a huge change from the 4S, or the 3GS in that manner.

I think this proves that there is nothing that Apple can do that wont be looked at as a minor upgrade.


First, the design is different in every way. THere is not one similarity between the 5 and 4S in design (OK, the volume buttons are similar). One is two pieces of glass with a thin metal frame, the other is unibody with glass windows. The 5 is taller, thinner, lighter, made from different materials, has the new lightning connector, headphone jack moved, facetime camera moved and upgraded, 3 vs 2 microphones, bigger speakers, completely different grill design, nano sim...the list goes on. These phones are not similar (Within the bounds of smartphone design of course).

Second, the hardware is an order of magnitude better with the 5. Im talking a generational leap the likes of which has never been seen in iPhone. The 4S is lucky to bech 700 points, the 5 benches 1700. The ipad 3 benches 700. The 5 is a beast.

Not only all that, you got LTE, which isnt just "faster" but makes-3G-look-like-dial-up faster. I got 62MBPS on my phone. Thats 10x faster then your home wifi.

Theres literally nothing that will make you happy if you dont think the 5 is ridiculously upgraded from the 4S.
kre62 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:58 PM   #31
jrasero
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kre62 View Post
I cant see how anyone can say that the 5 isnt a huge change from the 4S, or the 3GS in that manner.

I think this proves that there is nothing that Apple can do that wont be looked at as a minor upgrade.


First, the design is different in every way. THere is not one similarity between the 5 and 4S in design (OK, the volume buttons are similar). One is two pieces of glass with a thin metal frame, the other is unibody with glass windows. The 5 is taller, thinner, lighter, made from different materials, has the new lightning connector, headphone jack moved, facetime camera moved and upgraded, 3 vs 2 microphones, bigger speakers, completely different grill design, nano sim...the list goes on. These phones are not similar (Within the bounds of smartphone design of course).

Second, the hardware is an order of magnitude better with the 5. Im talking a generational leap the likes of which has never been seen in iPhone. The 4S is lucky to bech 700 points, the 5 benches 1700. The ipad 3 benches 700. The 5 is a beast.

Not only all that, you got LTE, which isnt just "faster" but makes-3G-look-like-dial-up faster. I got 62MBPS on my phone. Thats 10x faster then your home wifi.

Theres literally nothing that will make you happy if you dont think the 5 is ridiculously upgraded from the 4S.

I agree, my dad had the iPhone 4 and asked last year if he should get the 4s and I said no since a slightly improved camera and processor was not worth it. Oh I guess you can count Siri too.

The iPhone 5 blows the iPhone 4S. Larger Screen. Better battery life eve with 4G. My iPhone 5 on LTE lasts longer than my girlfriends 4S. Speaking of LTE, finally! Bigger screen, okay so maybe .5" increase isn't that much but it makes a difference. Lighter and thinner. While I loved the glass look and feel who can argue with a lighter and thinner phone. Scuffgate is an issue but case up. It's true there were a lot of small upgrades but the biggest one is LTE, since it makes browsing the web and downloading so much better.
jrasero is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:11 PM   #32
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
Is it coming next October? Judging by the release history of the previous iPhones, this seems to be quite true.

It is not long ago I started a thread, asking about iPhone 5 coming last october or not. And that certainly became true. But the problem is, I think it was boring as hell.

I still use my 3GS, and was planning on updating to iPhone 5. But the design struck me as very boring and too similiar to the 4S. I also hear people can scrape it up quite easy. And with the red flare problem on the camera, it is less and less tempting to buy.

The biggest problem for me, is that it just did not provide a big enough change. It just seemed "a little bit better in some ways", but not really going the full distance of proving itself a new champion.

And according to a few sources, a new iPhone may already be released in june. See here: http://technorati.com/technology/art...ill-launch-by/

So I think my 3GS just might last one final year. But it is really showing signs of dying already.
I am curious what would you want to see that would make you "want" to buy the next iPhone (most likely the 5s). Not software improvements but actual changes to the design of the phone.
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPhone 6 Plus 128gb Silver, iPad 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:40 PM   #33
Jordan921
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
Is it coming next October? Judging by the release history of the previous iPhones, this seems to be quite true.

It is not long ago I started a thread, asking about iPhone 5 coming last october or not. And that certainly became true. But the problem is, I think it was boring as hell.

I still use my 3GS, and was planning on updating to iPhone 5. But the design struck me as very boring and too similiar to the 4S. I also hear people can scrape it up quite easy. And with the red flare problem on the camera, it is less and less tempting to buy.

The biggest problem for me, is that it just did not provide a big enough change. It just seemed "a little bit better in some ways", but not really going the full distance of proving itself a new champion.

And according to a few sources, a new iPhone may already be released in june. See here: http://technorati.com/technology/art...ill-launch-by/

So I think my 3GS just might last one final year. But it is really showing signs of dying already.
The 5 would have been a really big upgrade from the 3GS
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:48 AM   #34
Ramius
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
First of all, I never liked the design of the 4 and 4S.
I think Apple departed from their old design criteria, which featured smooth curves and even design.

The new iPhones are much bulkier, despite thinner. With lots of edges, and its very very square. I like the 3GS design better still, because its so smooth and round.

I was really hoping that iPhone 5 would return to the more round curves, but was disappointed when it didnt. Something like this would have been much better:


Ive been reading Apple news for five years now. And there is also an increasing number of cool patented features that Apple has, that I was hoping to see soon in the phone. But instead they seem to be holding all of it back.

Apples success was NEVER about more power. And higher specifications. So if all they got is a sharper screen, faster processor, and basically, numbers numbers numbers. They will fail to capture my interst. Because Im one of those people who started buying Apple because of their actual innovation.
Ramius is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:01 AM   #35
whitesand
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kre62 View Post
I cant see how anyone can say that the 5 isnt a huge change from the 4S, or the 3GS in that manner.

I think this proves that there is nothing that Apple can do that wont be looked at as a minor upgrade.


First, the design is different in every way. THere is not one similarity between the 5 and 4S in design (OK, the volume buttons are similar). One is two pieces of glass with a thin metal frame, the other is unibody with glass windows. The 5 is taller, thinner, lighter, made from different materials, has the new lightning connector, headphone jack moved, facetime camera moved and upgraded, 3 vs 2 microphones, bigger speakers, completely different grill design, nano sim...the list goes on. These phones are not similar (Within the bounds of smartphone design of course).

Second, the hardware is an order of magnitude better with the 5. Im talking a generational leap the likes of which has never been seen in iPhone. The 4S is lucky to bech 700 points, the 5 benches 1700. The ipad 3 benches 700. The 5 is a beast.

Not only all that, you got LTE, which isnt just "faster" but makes-3G-look-like-dial-up faster. I got 62MBPS on my phone. Thats 10x faster then your home wifi.

Theres literally nothing that will make you happy if you dont think the 5 is ridiculously upgraded from the 4S.

I agree....I just love how some of the "experts" on the forums claiming apple doesn't "innovate" (good grief that comment gets old)...The fact is any time you get faster (absolutely stellar benchmarks), lighter, thinner, stronger, and bigger screen it's a about as close to groundbreaking as it gets.
whitesand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:20 AM   #36
Cebuano1976
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Verrado, Buckeye, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
I am a pro. Stop trying to devalue my opinion, just because you dont like it.

If youve been reading the experts opinions, you will see that there is broad agreement on this subject. Apple has not been delivering groundbreaking functionality and simplicity in their latest iPhones.

Personally I think it stopped with the 3GS. After that the improvements have been minor, and in addition to that, some of them have been disappointing in quality. Such as Apple Maps, Siri, Game Center and more.
Dude is a pro whiner. Sales are as robust as ever. 5th generation of iPhone and iPods, Apple is still #1 in sales in spite of its devices lasting for a long, long, time. More iPhone 5's were sold during the first weekend than any other device in history. I think that's definition of excitement.

What's innovation to a mobile phone? Biometrics? Speech to text? Able to control automobiles, homes, boats, planes? Track your pets? iPhone's got an app for that.
Cebuano1976 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:33 AM   #37
Jungle Jack
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Hello,
I am guessing the 5 replacement will offer NFC, 1080p resolution, no doubt a slightly more powerful processor and I do think Apple will change the Anodizing to make the Black models less prone to scratching. And like most who have posted, I think it stands to reason it will be the 5S.
Cheers,
JJ
Jungle Jack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:40 AM   #38
Prime85
macrumors 6502a
 
Prime85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8 View Post
You have valid points too, but what happened with the iPad to me changed years of iDevice tradition. Apple sooner or later catches on demand (look at the iPad 3, and now the iPhone 5) and then goes into the next thing.
I believe the iPad 4 update was released so soon because they wanted to standardize the lighting connector with all their devices. I don't think we will see an update less then 12 months again since sales of the iPad 4 have not been as good as others in the past. This is because people just bought the iPad 3. It also pushes away customers.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
First of all, I never liked the design of the 4 and 4S.
I think Apple departed from their old design criteria, which featured smooth curves and even design.

The new iPhones are much bulkier, despite thinner. With lots of edges, and its very very square. I like the 3GS design better still, because its so smooth and round.

I was really hoping that iPhone 5 would return to the more round curves, but was disappointed when it didnt. Something like this would have been much better:
Image

Ive been reading Apple news for five years now. And there is also an increasing number of cool patented features that Apple has, that I was hoping to see soon in the phone. But instead they seem to be holding all of it back.

Apples success was NEVER about more power. And higher specifications. So if all they got is a sharper screen, faster processor, and basically, numbers numbers numbers. They will fail to capture my interst. Because Im one of those people who started buying Apple because of their actual innovation.
That phone looks nice but I think it would be horrible to hold
Prime85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:43 AM   #39
Nebulance
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
I just want a new iPhone that Im genuinly interested in paying for. And that is not the iPhone 5.

The whole reason for me already asking about iPhone 6 now, is because of my dissatisfaction with the iPhone 5.

So yes, I moan about how boring the iPhone 5 is now, because I hope the future will be better. And that it will come sooner than expected. And I have supplied sources that indicate some truth behind it as well.
do you have the 5?

I had a 3GS before the 5 and it is a major improvement. Everything is faster -- my 3GS was crawling by the time I was ready for an upgrade. The retina display is awesome to have.

The issue about the glare on the camera happens to pretty much every camera. Point it at the sun and you're going to have some glare and discoloration to some level. For what it's worth, I took a picture at a park overlooking the shoreline, with the sun right in the middle of it, and it came out just fine.

I've had the phone since it came out (without a case), and I have had no issues with scratching or bending.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	772.9 KB
ID:	380183  
Nebulance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:32 PM   #40
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple speeds up its release schedule. After all, the iPhone is competing with hundreds of smartphones from dozens of vendors. Frequent refreshes and redesigns are one way to stay competitive.
CoMoMacUser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:56 PM   #41
Troneas
macrumors 65816
 
Troneas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: At the hacks section.
i read somewhere recently that the new iphone would be scheduled to release around july next year.
Troneas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:07 PM   #42
AlphaHumanus
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
Most of you seem to think that the next thing will be an S-version of the existing phone. Released at the same time next year. With only the minor and predictable improvements such as better camera, iOS update, new processor, sharper screen etc.
The things that matter in a personal electronic device?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
I am a pro. Stop trying to devalue my opinion, just because you dont like it.
LMFAO


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
Personally I think it stopped with the 3GS. After that the improvements have been minor, and in addition to that, some of them have been disappointing in quality. Such as Apple Maps, Siri, Game Center and more.
Thats software ****head. Nothing to do with which iPhone you have. Or phone for that matter. (barring hardware limitations) Wow. Some Expert.

I wont go into the improvements between each generation of iphone, because only a ****head can/would say that they aren't substantial. Face it, This is another thread were the OP cannot admit to him/her self that their iPhone is a status symbol. If it doesn't look completely different in every way, they cry. Not one single thread of this nature has come up with a good feature to add that would make the iPhone, or iOS better.
__________________
America has Become so...
Un-American.
AlphaHumanus is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:26 PM   #43
jrasero
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
I am curious what would you want to see that would make you "want" to buy the next iPhone (most likely the 5s). Not software improvements but actual changes to the design of the phone.
I think it's going to be the obvious processor, camera, and Siri improvements

I think the better question is what is the 6 going to be like

I really like the curve model someone suggested. That's one area I think Samsung has down with their curved glass.

They really need to nail down Siri for the 5S/6 and I think replacing the physical home button with a touch is a no brainer at this point

Biometrics security would be awesome

Nailing down the "better" battery life


and to be honest getting this scuffgate under control


I move back to the glass and steel wouldn't be terrible, hell go with plastic
jrasero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:51 PM   #44
Ramius
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrasero View Post
I think it's going to be the obvious processor, camera, and Siri improvements

I think the better question is what is the 6 going to be like

I really like the curve model someone suggested. That's one area I think Samsung has down with their curved glass.

They really need to nail down Siri for the 5S/6 and I think replacing the physical home button with a touch is a no brainer at this point

Biometrics security would be awesome

Nailing down the "better" battery life


and to be honest getting this scuffgate under control


I move back to the glass and steel wouldn't be terrible, hell go with plastic
Im the one talking about the curves.

Yes biometric fingerprint would be cool. Vastly greater battery life would also be a huge leap forward. This technology has pretty much been standing still for the last years.

These are two things that would represent great change for me. But I need even more.
Ramius is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:50 PM   #45
thewordiz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
History, repeats itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
No one knows but based on historic data, October 2013 sounds about right.
based on "history" you would see a iPhone 5s about a year from last month. But if rumors are true, that "may" be accelerated to a 6 month release. So, maybe a 6 next fall. But doubtful if we are truly students of "history."
thewordiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:29 PM   #46
Agent-P
macrumors 68020
 
Agent-P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Although in the past the iPhones have (mostly) followed a yearly release schedule, I'd guess that will soon change. Apple is under new leadership now that is starting to do things their own way. But that being said, the yearly schedule worked out with people's contracts as a new iPhone model would hit around when their contract ends (assuming that the majority of people get the new iPhone model close to the release).
__________________
I have a dream that one day iOS users, Android users, and Windows Phone users will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.
Agent-P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:33 PM   #47
Eckscaliber
macrumors 6502a
 
Eckscaliber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
First of all, I never liked the design of the 4 and 4S.
I think Apple departed from their old design criteria, which featured smooth curves and even design.

The new iPhones are much bulkier, despite thinner. With lots of edges, and its very very square. I like the 3GS design better still, because its so smooth and round.

I was really hoping that iPhone 5 would return to the more round curves, but was disappointed when it didnt. Something like this would have been much better:
Image

Ive been reading Apple news for five years now. And there is also an increasing number of cool patented features that Apple has, that I was hoping to see soon in the phone. But instead they seem to be holding all of it back.

Apples success was NEVER about more power. And higher specifications. So if all they got is a sharper screen, faster processor, and basically, numbers numbers numbers. They will fail to capture my interst. Because Im one of those people who started buying Apple because of their actual innovation.
That would be gorgeous.
Eckscaliber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:55 PM   #48
kfergiez
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
iPhone 6 will be coming out in may of 2013... I know. I talked to Steve about it.
kfergiez is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:25 AM   #49
indianboynyc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
5s, 5sS, 5sSs, 6.... who knows whats coming out other then apple. u gotta wait homie
indianboynyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:33 AM   #50
ClubDownforce
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Never. The world ends in like three weeks dude.
ClubDownforce is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5S: When is it coming out again? Krissypantz2828 iPhone 7 Sep 25, 2013 07:12 PM
Analyst Says iPhone 5S and Cheaper iPhone Coming in August/September With China Mobile Support MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 77 Mar 4, 2013 01:58 AM
Iphone 5 coming...give wife iPhone 4? Macsimus11 iPhone 17 Sep 19, 2012 02:04 PM
Retina Display Support Coming to Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4 in 'Coming Months' [Updated] MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 93 Aug 31, 2012 06:03 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC