Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

View Poll Results: Is.a 2-year AT&T commitment worth a $100 discount on a new tablet?
Yes… I've paid this long… I have unlimited data—why not… etc. 12 42.86%
No… I hate contracts… I hate AT&T… I want more money… etc. 16 57.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:52 AM   #1
christof
macrumors 6502

Is A 2-Year AT&T Contract Worth A $100 Discount?… With Grandfathered Unlimited Data?

First: with a 2-year commitment, AT&T now offers a $100 discount on LTE tablet devices, including iPad. I assume this also includes iPad mini. Is the $100 new equipment discount worth a 2-year contract?

Second: assuming AT&T would allow for it, is a $100 discount worth even more if you can make the 2-year commitment with a grandfathered $30 monthly unlimited iPad data plan?
christof is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:00 AM   #2
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
it's worth it if you were gonna pay for all 24 months anyway.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:28 AM   #3
HowardSmith
Banned

I kept the unlimited iPad account going for about 6 months but found it was cheaper to only buy service when I needed it. I travel or need cellular use in "spurts" and it was simply a matter of math. WiFi is almost everywhere I go and is MUCH faster than cellular service.

I think many are holding on to the "unlimited" iPad thing out of fear of losing it. I do for my iPhone. Just do the math and be practical. I have not used it in over 6 months, that is a lot of money saved.
HowardSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:26 AM   #4
aka777
macrumors 6502a

If this was offered by Verizon or Sprint, I'd jump on it.
aka777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:45 AM   #5
sealos
macrumors member

AT&T would probably tell you that the Unlimited plan is not covered and to get the $100, you would have to switch to a newer plan.

Remember, AT&T hates that you have that unlimited plan and will do everything they can to get you to drop it.

So I would say the $100 is not worth it if you want to keep the unlimited plan.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:04 AM   #6
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a

If you are on unlimited data, then it's a more difficult decision. As the previous poster says (and I think you know), I'd be surprised if AT&T let you continue with your unlimited data plan. Is losing unlimited data worth $100 for you?

If you already have the mobile share plan, it's a simple question of whether you expect to use the cellular capability for more than 14 out of the 24 months (at $10 a month).

The other consideration is resale - you'd want to check that if you sell your iPad before 24 months, can you fulfill the remainder of the 24 month contract using another off-contract tablet.
KeepCalmPeople is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:46 PM   #7
mrcalabash
macrumors member

The AT&T announcement says the discount is at AT&T stores and selected retailers. Will Apple stores be one of those selected retailers?
mrcalabash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:57 PM   #8
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Since AT&T now throttles grandfathered unlimited data users at 3gb does "unlimited data" even matter?
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:01 PM   #9
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I don't want another cellular contract regardless of the device or carrier.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:04 PM   #10
gnasher729
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
First: with a 2-year commitment, AT&T now offers a $100 discount on LTE tablet devices, including iPad. I assume this also includes iPad mini. Is the $100 new equipment discount worth a 2-year contract?

Second: assuming AT&T would allow for it, is a $100 discount worth even more if you can make the 2-year commitment with a grandfathered $30 monthly unlimited iPad data plan?
Do the sums. For (iPad price - $100) + 24 * (monthly charge) you get an iPad, plus 24 months worth of whatever that contract gives you. Do you need what that contract gives you? Is it worth it? Are there any PAYG deals, and what do they cost? Do you get similar contracts cheaper elsewhere? For example, iPad WiFi is obviously less practical, but an awful lot cheaper.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:16 PM   #11
jsw
Moderator emeritus

I don't think it's worth it. As others have said, unless you're going to require that access nearly every month for the entire two years (note: two years ago, the original iPad on 3G was state of the art, so don't plan on your new tablet keeping its appeal), you'll save money by not getting the contract. No matter what, you'll avoid being in a two year contract, which I think is easily worth the $4 a month you're saving.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:30 PM   #12
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
No contract is great if it saves. But if you're going to have the service for at least 24 months why not get the device discount?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:49 PM   #13
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a

I don't think it's worth it. Get a tablet with a pay as you go type plan because in one year there will be another tablet. Cellular contracts should only be yearly in my opinion.
Ladybug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:53 PM   #14
KdParker
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Plus, you could just use the hotspot on your cell to connect iPad when needed. Not worth another data plan.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:05 PM   #15
designs216
macrumors 65816

No way. I'll buy the phone outright and still come out $1800 ahead after 2 years.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:17 PM   #16
aka777
macrumors 6502a

The only thing that is contracted is the service. After a year, you are still free to take out the sim, then buy another ipad and use the service there too.

For those of us who have a continuous data plan, it's worth it. With the $100 discount, I am now able to purchase the LTE version for only $30 more.
aka777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:52 PM   #17
jrlepage
macrumors 6502a

Is there any way to pre-order an LTE Mini through AT&T with the discount? Or do we have to wait until Friday and hope they have some in-stock in stores or online?
jrlepage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:22 AM   #18
christof
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlepage View Post
Is there any way to pre-order an LTE Mini through AT&T with the discount? Or do we have to wait until Friday and hope they have some in-stock in stores or online?
I went to an AT&T corporate store today to ask if my grandfathered unlimited session based data would qualify for the two-year contract $100 discount. The small business sales representative said yes. As of today, no preorders are being taken for iPad mini.

The representative expects that iPad mini will be released at the AT&T corporate store the same day Apple releases it. I'm not sure if any iPad mini pre-orders will be taken.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:11 AM   #19
SqB
macrumors 6502

ETF is the deal breaker

The ETF for this deal is $150 with $4/month prorating. So basically you'd have to keep the contract for 13 months just to avoid owing them more than they "loaned" you in the first place.

Really bold on their part. No thank you.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/ar...-term-fees.jsp

Last edited by SqB; Nov 10, 2012 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Added source
SqB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:18 AM   #20
bbeagle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqB View Post
The ETF for this deal is $150 with $4/month prorating. So basically you'd have to keep the contract for 13 months just to avoid owing them more than they "loaned" you in the first place.

Really bold on their part. No thank you.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/ar...-term-fees.jsp
For me, it's a good deal.

We already have a family data plan. Tablets are $10/month. This now, in effect, makes the iPad $6/month. 40% savings. Well worth it.
bbeagle is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:35 PM   #21
vegastime
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
Since AT&T now throttles grandfathered unlimited data users at 3gb does "unlimited data" even matter?
Pretty sure this has been shown to be not true for the iPad, and that the throttling only applies to phones.
vegastime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:39 PM   #22
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegastime View Post
Pretty sure this has been shown to be not true for the iPad, and that the throttling only applies to phones.
You just might be right about that, my bad.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:49 PM   #23
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
I went to an AT&T corporate store today to ask if my grandfathered unlimited session based data would qualify for the two-year contract $100 discount. The small business sales representative said yes. As of today, no preorders are being taken for iPad mini.

The representative expects that iPad mini will be released at the AT&T corporate store the same day Apple releases it. I'm not sure if any iPad mini pre-orders will be taken.
I wouldn't count on it, especially considering the AT&T employees I've spoken to in the past haven't always been very well informed. According to this article on TUAW, this discount only will apply to iPads added to existing mobile share plans or tiered data plans. I hope the rep you spoke to is correct as I also have an existing standalone unlimited data plan for my iPad and was planning on switching to a Mini.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:12 PM   #24
christof
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayrgs View Post
I wouldn't count on it, especially considering the AT&T employees I've spoken to in the past haven't always been very well informed. According to this article on TUAW, this discount only will apply to iPads added to existing mobile share plans or tiered data plans. I hope the rep you spoke to is correct as I also have an existing standalone unlimited data plan for my iPad and was planning on switching to a Mini.
When you say tiered, I assume you mean the new capped/metered data plans. If you hear otherwise, or have success, let me know. I'll do the same.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:34 PM   #25
christof
macrumors 6502

I visited AT&T Corporate Stores, called Telephone Sales and Customer Service, and tweeted AT&T Twitter Customer Care.

In order to achieve $100 savings, the customer must sign a two-year agreement. Two-year agreements may be made on post-paid accounts.

Grandfathered $30 iPad unlimited session based tablet data is a pre-paid product. AT&T cannot convert pre-paid accounts to post-paid accounts AND retain unlimited tablet data because unlimited tablet data is not offered to post-paid accounts.

The policy document AT&T Twitter Customer Care pointed me to is: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB117070

If anyone is successful, please share your experience. Thanks!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad