Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I usually buy my iDevices on launch day. This time I couldn't get it on launch day as I had just bought an iPhone 5. I'm getting an iPad mini for Christmas but I know I'll want a retina version as soon as it comes out. Do you think I've waited to long to make getting one worth it? Would you just wait? I have an iPad 3 that I'm keeping too.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I usually buy my iDevices on launch day. This time I couldn't get it on launch day as I had just bought an iPhone 5. I'm getting an iPad mini for Christmas but I know I'll want a retina version as soon as it comes out. Do you think I've waited to long to make getting one worth it? Would you just wait? I have an iPad 3 that I'm keeping too.

The iPad mini hasn't even been on the market for a month and you're already wondering if it is too late?

At the earliest, there's a new iPad mini in March. At the latest in October. This gives you four months to eleven months of usage and having the newest.

If you are willing to wait up to 11 months just so you can buy an iPad mini at launch, than wait. If you don't mind enjoying the latest iPad mini for at least the coming four months, buy now.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Guessing that retina won't come out until next fall. 11 months from now is a pretty long time.

Bleak

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
Depends on what you consider 'soon' to be. The retina iPad mini will likely come out in late 2013 (year from the current mini release) or early 2014. The people who think the retina mini is coming out in spring 2013 are on some kind of crazy drugs, apple won't release the retina if they have to increase the weight significantly to allow for it, which they would have to do if they wanted to release it any time soon.

TLDR; Don't worry, the retina mini won't come out until late 2013 or after.

solidsnake32292

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
Unless you bought the Mini within the first 22 min. of it being released... your too late, sorry.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
Considering many (all?) of us outside of the US that ordered the LTE versions haven't even gotten ours yet, I suspect the answer would be (hopefully) "No, it's not too late"

Clint

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
If its any consolation, you won't have the money for the Retina Mini right away either.

What sort of a stupid comment is that? I can't even fathom how little you know about my family finances.

----------

If its any consolation, you won't have the money for the Retina Mini right away either.

Depends on what you consider 'soon' to be. The retina iPad mini will likely come out in late 2013 (year from the current mini release) or early 2014. The people who think the retina mini is coming out in spring 2013 are on some kind of crazy drugs, apple won't release the retina if they have to increase the weight significantly to allow for it, which they would have to do if they wanted to release it any time soon.

TLDR; Don't worry, the retina mini won't come out until late 2013 or after.

I'm skeptical of it coming out in 4 months... But it would sure bum me out if it did and I got it for Christmas. End of 2013 would be perfect for me.;)

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
What sort of a stupid comment is that? I can't even fathom how little you know about my family finances.

Not getting the Mini at launch sure made you cranky. Maybe you'll have the money, maybe you will buy the iPhone 5S, maybe you'll have some other expense, or maybe you'll be late pre-ordering. It's just a gadget, relax.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Not getting the Mini at launch sure made you cranky. Maybe you'll have the money, maybe you will buy the iPhone 5S, maybe you'll have some other expense, or maybe you'll be late pre-ordering. It's just a gadget, relax.

It didn't make me cranky... It's the ridiculous immature comments of some members here.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It didn't make me cranky... It's the ridiculous immature comments of some members here.

The point is that the Mini 2 won't be out for a while. If you get it at Christmas you will have a good long time to enjoy it. Maybe you'll have the money for the 2, maybe you won't right away. And if you don't so what, the world will keep turning without you having the latest shiny thing.

You're about to get an iPad Mini for Christmas. Why is your go to reaction that you are somehow getting shafted? Instead of worrying about what you might not have, appreciate that you will enjoy many months of your free iPad Mini.

Steevie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
no of course its not too late but you run the risk of it being outdated within a year. dont forget the internals are based off of the iPad2

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
If you wait until October, you are missing out. The iPad mini is probably one of the coolest devices I have ever used. As for the screen, ppi is not the only thing that makes a screen great. The colors, blacks and whites on the mini are all much better than the iPad 2 and other 7" tablets.

As far as pixels go, the iPad mini display is actually pretty sharp, despite what others are saying. I am an engineering design student which requires me to have a high attention to detail, but the iPad mini screen has been just fine for me.

When it comes to a retina display, there is no guarantee that next iPad mini will have one. It's a miracle that Apple was able to fit the current iPad mini's insides in that small casing.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
This would make foir a great hipster version of a Christmas Carol. Starring the ghosts of iPads past, present and future. Scrooge could initially be worried that his Christmas Ipad won't be the latest for a whole year until he sees that Tiny Tim died. Then Scrooge appreciates the things he has and buys Crachet's family the 64GB LTE iPad.

“What’s to-day, my fine fellow?” said Scrooge.

“To-day!” replied the boy. “Why, Christmas Day.”

“It’s Christmas Day!” said Scrooge to himself. “I haven’t missed it. The Spirits have done it all in one night. They can do anything they like. Of course they can. Of course they can. Hallo, my fine fellow!”

“Hallo!” returned the boy.

“Do you know the Apple Store, in the next street but one, at the corner?” Scrooge inquired.

“I should hope I did,” replied the lad.

“An intelligent boy!” said Scrooge. “A remarkable boy! Do you know whether they’ve sold the prize iPad that was in stock there?—Not the little iPad: the big one, with 64GB and LTE?”

“What, the one as big as me?” returned the boy.

“What a delightful boy!” said Scrooge. “It’s a pleasure to talk to him. Yes, my buck!”

“It’s still in stock,” replied the boy.

“Is it?” said Scrooge. “Go and buy it.”

Cut to Tiny Tim, playing Angry Birds Star Wars, "God bless us everyone."

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
this is a pretty funny thread, especially considering that it's been barely a week since the LTE version was released.

that said, i do notice that a lot of people take liberties and get kind of rude here.

j.benj

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
There will certainly be an updated mini at some point in 2013 but I'd be surprised if they could put a retina display on it by then. The whole point of the mini is that it's "mini". The size of the battery the thing would require to drive a retina display would make it bigger and heavier. Not to mention how expensive a 7.9" 2048x1536 panel would be to manufacture and include. The price point would have to go up.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Something that strikes me as quite amusing is that I see people complain that Apple only releases updates about once a year. Then they go in wishing and worrying that there might be an update at the six month mark, and that this means that they shouldn't get the new product now. I read posts by people who bought the iPad 3 at launch who were pissed at Apple for launching a new iPad after only six months.

You know, you can't have it both ways. Either Apple makes more frequent updates and there will be less time between when you buy and when the next update comes out, or Apple makes less frequent updates and you have to put up with their products slipping behind the competition toward the end of their product cycle.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
this is a pretty funny thread, especially considering that it's been barely a week since the LTE version was released.

that said, i do notice that a lot of people take liberties and get kind of rude here.

But I wouldn't have it for another month. If I got it today I might feel differently.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Something that strikes me as quite amusing is that I see people complain that Apple only releases updates about once a year. Then they go in wishing and worrying that there might be an update at the six month mark, and that this means that they shouldn't get the new product now. I read posts by people who bought the iPad 3 at launch who were pissed at Apple for launching a new iPad after only six months.

You know, you can't have it both ways. Either Apple makes more frequent updates and there will be less time between when you buy and when the next update comes out, or Apple makes less frequent updates and you have to put up with their products slipping behind the competition toward the end of their product cycle.

I'm not asking for it to be both ways. Some want it one way and some want it the other. I'm fine with an upgrade once a year. I bought the iPad 3 at launch and was fine with the iPad 4 coming out so soon... It's just that the screen is a big deal to me and I know I'll be bummed if a retina comes out in just a few months.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
The mini is a really good device. The lightness and ridiculous battery life make it a great tablet to spend time on.

Of course, the screen could be better, but I wouldn't trade the weight and battery life for it. The iPad 3 is not a lot heavier than the 2, but just enough over the threshold to make it uncomfortable after a period of time than the iPad 2.

Tl;dr get the mini now. You'll like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.