Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
A few months ago then a large majority of Apple forums everywhere claimed "The iPad is perfect and anything smaller won't work". My point isn't to call anyone out, but clearly that statement is wrong so now I'm curious how much smaller a functional iPad could actually get. And more specifically, is it possible to hit a phone size so that we could have an option for something like a 5" iPhone that runs iPad apps (iPhad?).

Thanks for any responses.

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal
Hard to say. Traditionally, at least since the second coming, Apple has tried to keep the product line pretty simple. If the market demands a 5" device than Apple may go that route. At the moment though I'd say the demand isn't there

They already have one... It's called the iPhone 5.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I already find the iPad apps on the mini to be a bit uncomfortable to use -- the touch targets are a bit too small, the visual elements a bit too crowded and/or too small to see comfortably. For any smaller iOS device, we should expand iPhone apps, rather than shrink iPad apps.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
A 5-inch device seems pointless.

It's been said already; there's the 4-inch iPhone 5.

iPad mini makes perfect sense as it's a happy medium. Not quite as small as the iPhone 5 and not too big like the iPad. Great in between size. Anything else is overkill, like Samsung. Was the 5-inch Galaxy Note really necessary? Not really.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
And more specifically, is it possible to hit a phone size so that we could have an option for something like a 5" iPhone that runs iPad apps (iPhad?).
Anything's possible. Whether it's likely or not is another matter entirely. The Mini manages to fit into a niche between the iPhone/iPod Touch and full size iPad. There's really not much space in between IMO.

If an iPod Touch and an iPad SuperMini have the same screen size and resolution then what makes an app an iPad app versus iPhone?

"The iPad is perfect and anything smaller won't work". My point isn't to call anyone out, but clearly that statement is wrong
It's not wrong. One can certainly hold the opinion that the iPad is the perfect size. Clearly everyone didn't run out and swap iPads for Minis. Clearly it's a subjective matter.

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
A bird told me that history will repeat itself and Apple will discontinue the iPad mini for an iPad nano. Just kidding;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.