Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:11 PM   #101
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
I have 2 issues with roads :

- Roads are now missing when they were there in the Google Maps version of the application in iOS 5.

- The god awful "pretty" rendering that makes maps unreadable. Roads are too thin, colors are non-distinctive. There's a reason Google Maps is "ugly", because it's easy to read at a glance.
This! Google Maps isn't ugly though, it's perfect! It's easy on the eyes yet offering lots of detail. Apple Maps is more distracting and offers less information per pixelČ.

Google Maps is rock solid.
TC03 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:11 PM   #102
dmb70
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearfriendx View Post
I've been using the Maps app since like June and haven't had any problems. What's it doing for the rest of you? Like guiding you into a lake? Hahaha you guys are like Dwight Shrute.

So far, I've used it in North East Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Chicago & Richmond VA without any issues.
dmb70 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:11 PM   #103
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

I defended maps for a long time, but it did totally screw up turn by turn for me two weekends ago. It's a shame because navigating with Siri is so wonderfully easy. But back to navigon it is.
QCassidy352 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:11 PM   #104
Radio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos916 View Post
Why cant apple just say they screwed up and bring google mapa back.. That simple and we would all be happy
I really would love this idea.
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:12 PM   #105
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzysanime View Post
How come he was fired for a map issue which is not that big of a deal when no one was fired for the antenna issue on the iPhone 4???
You mean that antenna issue that affected something like 1/10th a percent of users, 90% of which are in areas of generally ****** reception
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:12 PM   #106
Risco
macrumors 65816

Are you sure the rumour did not get lost in translation?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:12 PM   #107
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbee View Post
When someone is having trouble with software, I usually ask them to Google it for a solution. Seems applicable.
Ya, because we all know Android devices are bug-free....

I think the main reason I've never had an issue with Apple Maps is because I don't rely on it 100%. Even in Cali over Thanksgiving, I drove my wife and I to San Diego from Temecula. Never done that before, though it's a pretty straight shot. Apple maps took my to the zoo, down to the harbor walk, to the Midway and back to Temecula without any problem.

But I also used my brain and read street signs. Which helped make sure I was in the right place. Google maps wasn't perfect, neither is Apple maps. But it damn well isn't as awful as it's made out to be. It needs to improve more quickly than Google Maps was allowed to - which I have a feeling is part of the reason for the shakeup (that and people who whine and complain - and the media - just couldn't let it go).

I'd give it a year before Apple Maps is king of the mountain.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:12 PM   #108
unplugme71
macrumors 68000

Still waiting for Google, TomTom, Garmin, etc to provide my correct home location. I've reported it to every mapping company at least 3 times a year. You figure after 7 years, it'd be fixed
unplugme71 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:12 PM   #109
armandxp
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos916 View Post
Why cant apple just say they screwed up and bring google mapa back.. That simple and we would all be happy
You would be happy with the previous offering from google on maps iOS? You've got to be kidding me. Just buy a maps app and get over it! There was no turn by turn on the old app, it was crap to everyone that I know.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:14 PM   #110
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacc View Post
just buy Tomtom , it works way better than garmin and ios maps..
It is also a major data source for iOS Maps. Makes you wonder about the quality of the data they gave Apple access to and why it seems to be so lacking
charlituna is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:14 PM   #111
Gravity
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorpuki View Post
I used it twice over the weekend - first time was to go to a hotel for a wedding. It sent me to a residential culdesac near the hotel and told me I was there.

Second time was to go to a bday party that turned out to be at a store in an outdoor mall. It sent me to a residential street behind the mall and told me I was there.
I have the TomTom app on my iPhone 4 and it does that sometimes. I think sometimes its a problem with GPS reception... and sometimes its a problem with addresses labeled to wrong parts of the map itself. Drives me nuts when I'm looking for a particular parking garage in Chicago... and I'm led into an alley, a full block off target.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:15 PM   #112
uvman
macrumors newbie

Here is your advice, play nice with google and get their good turn by turn and POI data on your idevices.
uvman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:15 PM   #113
armandxp
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
You mean that antenna issue that affected something like 1/10th a percent of users, 90% of which are in areas of generally ****** reception
I had such crappy reception with AT&T in FL, at that time, who knows if it was the phone or really AT&T sucking. But, now they've upped their service here, and I never, never drop a call anymore. Used to be at least three dropped calls a day. But, anywho, who cares we had that gorgeous phone in our midst!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:15 PM   #114
Viper2005
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer-uk View Post
Your right, they are better doing nothing.
That's the best suggestion ever!
In all seriousness, they should ditch their current misguided effort at making their own maps and go back to Google and re-contract for their maps. I certainly won't miss the current maps ugly colors or the useless Flyover feature.
Viper2005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:16 PM   #115
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetson View Post
Yeah, Google has spent many years and lots of moolah to make their maps work.
Yeah let's ignore that Google Maps was just as crappy when it was less than a year old
charlituna is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:16 PM   #116
TC03
macrumors 6502a

It's not just about this one restaurant or street that is displayed wrongfully, it's about the whole experience.

Maps are not easy, they have to offer multiple functions. Mapping data has to be 100% correct, POI's have to be good and this all has to have an intuitive and clean interface. It has to give you a lotof information without looking for it. It has to feel like a natural experience, finding and exploring things shouldn't take an effort, and Apple Maps just takes more efforts than Google Maps. Even if Apple Maps shows all the streets and POI's correctly, there is still the problem of rendering (narrow streets, POI's as circles, few details when zoomed out).

Here's a challenge: suppose Apple took ALL data directly from Google, including POI's, do you still think Apple Maps would be on par in terms of quality with Google Maps? No. It's still lacking this clear, clean and intuitive look that Google Maps has. It's the whole package that makes it inferior to Google Maps.

Even if all satelite views, POI's and street names are correct, you still end up with this:

The lack of detail sucks.
TC03 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:18 PM   #117
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilamite View Post
How this happened originally is crazy. Firing people now is too late - the mess already happened.
Is Apple _really_ asleep at the wheel, as it appears?

And I don't mean the timing of this firing, but HELLO APPLE? Maps... the entire idea was such a waste just so that they could brag that Apple had created their own maps.

What is Apple up to?

Do they know?

Are they really that full of themselves?

What a bizarre way for a once world class company to operate.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:20 PM   #118
Gravity
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacc View Post
just buy Tomtom , it works way better than garmin and ios maps.. i doubt they can make it as good as it. Put it this way, if you want a quality gps navigation for iphone, your going to have to pay for it. Im thinking apple maps might have a paid version or subscription in the future
I have the TOMTOM app and it has many mistakes in its map that I've encountered! Overall, it was worth the $50 bucks, though.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:20 PM   #119
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

The Seven Phases of a Project.
  1. Enthusiasm
  2. Planning
  3. Disallusionment
  4. Fear and Panic
  5. Search for the Guilty
  6. Punishment of the Innocent
  7. Praise and Honors for the Non-Participants
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:20 PM   #120
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

It's a bummer that someone got **** canned over this issue that wasn't likely an issue for all.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:20 PM   #121
AmbientEleven
macrumors newbie

Maybe now I'll be able to find my way home after a drunken night out, instead of ending up in a Japanese family's rec room.
AmbientEleven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:21 PM   #122
dacreativeguy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKeogh View Post
I feel bad for Williamson. After he was fired he couldn't find his way out of the building.
At least he doesn't "sleep where he works", like the Chinese iPhone assemblers. They don't have any issues with the maps!
dacreativeguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:22 PM   #123
akatsuki
macrumors regular

In the end, Maps was a fiasco and heads had to roll. But, of course, it really is all on Cook who let it go out the door that way.
akatsuki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:22 PM   #124
wikus
Banned

Is Eddy Cue a real person? It sounds like some kind of alias....
wikus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:23 PM   #125
BingClawsby
macrumors regular

while you're at it, fire the guy who designed the 2012 mac mini
BingClawsby is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion