Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
I am. Not overly proud to say it, but I am getting the 27" iMac with full SSD capability.

Anybody else?

(Don't answer all at once)

grandvvazoo

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
I am. Not overly proud to say it, but I am getting the 27" iMac with full SSD capability.

Anybody else?

seriously considering it... unless I read sometime soon about the ease of upgrading myself (but I don't hold out much hope for that possibility)

Mac2133

macrumors member
May 31, 2012

Anybody else?

You heard on the news today, right? The Powerball Jackpot has just exceeded $500 million...

sdo1982

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
North Vancouver
Considering it also, I'm waiting on ifixit first, if I can easily pop in a 512 ssd then I will order a fusion and then clone the hdd, voila, fusion of 640gb.
If its a real pain to open up then ill splash the cash.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Has the $1300 price been announced? I haven't seen it.

I will be getting the full SSD model. My prime usage of the machine is for photography... and my library is too large to be benefited by fusion drive.

My library continues to grow... but still fits comfortably within the 768 GB capacity along with OSX and my applications. This should last me until I replace this machine in 2015 or 2016. At that point... it will replace my wife's iMac... and 768GB will last her forever.

I will place other non-photography data on my 8TB Pegasus R4.

/Jim

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I really don't want to go back to a 3000+ dollar desktop, I remember the days of 386/486 systems costing that much !!!

so 1999 + 150 + 200 + 1300???? as much as I like the idea of an SSD it just isn't ready for prime time at that price. I can almost buy a second iMac for that price.

If they had smaller SSD options I would could see 512g or even living with 256g and external spin drives

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Thread title:

Who is opting for the $1300 Full SSD drive on the 2013 iMac?

We already know there are many of you who find this way too expensive (and rightfully so).

Yeroon

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
I really would like to buy an SSD, but I'm not paying this excessive price (which will probably be $ = €, so € 1300 which is $1680!). If Apple does this, they force their customers to buy their Fusion hdd's by giving no reasonable options for SSD's. Almost a form of blackmail, as they do offer various offers for the Mac mini.

Why not for the iMac? I can't think of a good reason for doing this. If this is true, they don't seem to care about choice and value for their customers.

I'll postpone my purchase and will await other options (such as opening the case and installing an SSD myself of a Thunderbolt SSD). Or just wait for the next iMac... :s

So no, I wont buy it.

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Not me. That is way too much money to spend. Like others, I wish there was a 256GB option. I would get that plus an external HDD. I'll probably opt for the Fusion drive at $250 extra.

I will be getting the full SSD model. My prime usage of the machine is for photography... and my library is too large to be benefited by fusion drive.

Then you haven't studied the reports of how the Fusion Drive works. It's not on a directory/folder basis, or even on a file basis, but on a block.

I suspect in your case the 1TB Fusion Drive would work very well. A little research might well save you over $1000.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
Good article. I view the SSD as a tool, folks who understand and can use the SSD will purchase it, casual folks won't. The maxed out iMac, with SSD, should be an awesome workstation which should meet the needs of the creative world with the exception of all but the most demanding video.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Then you haven't studied the reports of how the Fusion Drive works. It's not on a directory/folder basis, or even on a file basis, but on a block.

I suspect in your case the 1TB Fusion Drive would work very well. A little research might well save you over $1000.

I understand the way that the fusion drive works. My A3 library is about 3X the size 128GB SSD portion of the Fusion drive. When I am working... I want my entire library resident on the SSD. I often scroll through huge portions of my photos. At most maybe about 1/4 of my A3 library could possibly be resident on the SSD portion of fusion. The rest would "by definition"... be on a single spindle HDD.

By buying the full SSD... My entire library could be resident on SSD. The only other viable option that I have is to have the library on my 4 spindle Pegasus R4. I am willing to pay to have it on the SSD.

I would always choose a fusion drive over a single spindle HDD. However, it does not remove the need/desire for having my A3 library permanently resident on SSD.

/Jim

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012

The only source he has is Apple's summary...which is obviously in layman's terms. It could be much more intricate than how Apple put it.

I won't believe it until I see it.

And I can't see this affecting me. Those dozens of GBs of data are on an external drive, where they should be for any professional (Or at least, on a drive separate from the program files and OS).

I'm only going to have a few program's as well. Deleting all the crap (Like iLife, FaceTime, PhotoBooth etc.) that I don't need. I think I may end up getting away with all my program's on the SSD side of the Fusion Drive.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I agree that the full SSD is not "an investment". Indeed, it will depreciate quickly and some day all too soon be totally worthless. However, it is a tool, and I agree with Jim that I want my work, as much as possible, to be on a SSD.

maverick72

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
Will also be getting the full shabang (cpu, ram, graphic, full ssd) options. Just cause i can.

256g is just to little (i have 1 mbp and one imac already on 256g) and its not enough. And once you go SSD you ain't comming back. For no reason. Not even a "partial SSD" system like fusion.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I think we should see if they figure out how to open up the case and change drives. That would change things dramatically.

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
I think we should see if they figure out how to open up the case and change drives. That would change things dramatically.

Agree with you. Hopefully iMac's SSD has the same form factor as the one in rMBP or MBA, which you can get a brand new 256GB for $250 at eBay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.