Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by netkas.org and in our forums, the initial beta release of OS X 10.8.3 seeded to developers yesterday contains drivers supporting AMD's latest 7000-series graphics cards, including the high-end "Tahiti" options. The development has naturally sparked speculation that Apple is starting to build in support for graphics cards to be used in the all-new Mac Pro coming in 2013.

10_8_3_tahiti.jpg
Testing has revealed that the low-end "Cape Verde" Radeon HD 7770 graphics cards will work under the first OS X 10.8.3 beta and that support is also likely for the high-end Tahiti cards, but forum user MacVidCards cautions that compatibility for certain cards has come and gone in the past, so users should wait until the public release of OS X 10.8.3 before getting their hopes up too much, and even then compatibility could disappear in the future.

This is not the first time that evidence of Tahiti support has shown up in OS X either, as other drivers surfaced nearly a year ago in OS X 10.7.3. Consequently, it is difficult to reach any conclusions regarding Apple's product plans based on the appearance of new drivers in OS X 10.8.3, but it certainly seems to be positive progress toward support of new hardware.

Article Link: OS X 10.8.3 Beta Contains Drivers for AMD Radeon 7000-Series Graphics Cards

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
OK so my 2008 MacPro might get another year out of this... :)

I am however looking forward to the 2013 MacPro's hopefully they will have been worth waiting for.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
This is encouraging news, but I will wait on it until I see it personally myself. January 2013 is almost here, and still nothing new about the Mac Pro.. Really, with all due respect since I use my Mac Pro 6-core as a file and print server to host my other 10+ macs, I really don't have a need for the 2013 Mac Pro, but you never know.

Proof is the eye of the beholder.

markbarthel

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
as long as it's actually powerful and not thin, we're in with a chance!

Agreed. Apple needs to serioulsy focus on power in this instance, instead of pushing the limits on how small they can make things... Maybe change the form factor to a rack-mountable 3-4U? That'd be sweet.

Other than that, I'm assuming new Haswell processors will blow away all these i series processors.

Maybe we'll see 27-inch LED cinema displays similar to the new iMac displays... RETINA?!? fingers crossed.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Now give me a Thunderbolt chassis to plug my MacBook Air into a card like this (or as good as is possible) when I’m not on the road. Seriously, any year now would be fine....

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
yawn...

Yawn.

The AMD HD 7000 series came out in FEBRUARY. :rolleyes:

Apple is ALWAYS a day late and a dollar short with video card support. It's embarrassing.

Like antster94 pointed out, the 8000's are on the horizon. So.... one can reasonably assume it will take Apple at least 10 months to add support for those new cards. :rolleyes:

Oh...... and the icing on the cake should be when Apple offers an AMD Radeon HD 7970 for something outrageous like $599.00. :rolleyes:

sk8ordie

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
California
I'm thinking they will do away with the optical drive and this will be a headless macbook pro retina. My guess is:

Multi SSD configuration
Higher end graphics options (that everyone will still be disappointed with)
High end Intel chip options
Multi thunderbolt
Multi USB

But no way at $1400, more like $2000.

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
It's sad when the largest and most successful computer company in the world gets headlines at the hint its next computer might support current generation components.

Unfortunately, more and more Apple sells only appliances.

A professional machine like the Mac Pro should be updated much more often than Apple's dreary trod has allowed.

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.