Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:17 PM   #1
AFPoster
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Picture not filling entire screen.

As you can see with my attached picture my screen has black borders on the top and bottom of an image I just took with my iPhone 5. However in this commercial by Apple it shows the full screen, what gives???

Select Turkey video

Link to video: http://www.apple.com/iphone/videos/#tv-ads-thumb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0552.PNG
Views:	43
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	380064  
__________________
2012 15" MacBook Pro 2.3Ghz i7
iPad 2 32gb (white)
iPhone 5s 16gb x2
AFPoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:21 PM   #2
shenfrey
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFPoster View Post
As you can see with my attached picture my screen has black borders on the top and bottom of an image I just took with my iPhone 5. However in this [URL="[/URL] by Apple it shows the full screen, what gives???

Select Turkey video

Link to video: [url]
It was done by snapping pictures during recording mode.
__________________
27" Imac, 12GB ram (2009),
Macbook Pro Late 2012
Time Capsule (2009 1TB)
Apple TV (2012), IPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen)
shenfrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:46 PM   #3
Cuechick
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: So Cal
Here is another thread that explains why:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...2#post16249182
__________________
Fresh Pie!
Cuechick is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:07 PM   #4
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenfrey View Post
It was done by snapping pictures during recording mode.
Or, the images could've been edited in advance, cropped to fit the screen.

Examples: uncropped and cropped versions.
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:46 AM   #5
AFPoster
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Isn't this misleading? I mean I expect to view any picture taken on my phone in full screen view. Not with black borders. I understand the difference in aspect size / pixel ratios, however, if all android devices can fit the screen perfectly and the iPhone - 4s could why can't they scale to fit on the 5. Just seems like a blunder of mistakes on Apples part.
__________________
2012 15" MacBook Pro 2.3Ghz i7
iPad 2 32gb (white)
iPhone 5s 16gb x2
AFPoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:40 AM   #6
ToddH
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Central Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFPoster View Post
Isn't this misleading? I mean I expect to view any picture taken on my phone in full screen view. Not with black borders. I understand the difference in aspect size / pixel ratios, however, if all android devices can fit the screen perfectly and the iPhone - 4s could why can't they scale to fit on the 5. Just seems like a blunder of mistakes on Apples part.
Really? That is nothing to complain about. The 4:3 ratio will not expand to 16:9, if it did, then the forum would be filed with complaints that parts of the photo are cut off. Is it too much trouble for you to use your fingers and expand it yourself? I think there are more important things to worry about these days, don't you?
ToddH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:53 AM   #7
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFPoster View Post
Isn't this misleading? I mean I expect to view any picture taken on my phone in full screen view. Not with black borders. I understand the difference in aspect size / pixel ratios, however, if all android devices can fit the screen perfectly and the iPhone - 4s could why can't they scale to fit on the 5. Just seems like a blunder of mistakes on Apples part.
Just because Apple made a misleading commercial that doesn't mean they should now alter the product to fit that ad. What they should be doing is making the commercials match the product, not the other way around.
Small White Car is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:52 AM   #8
AFPoster
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddH View Post
Really? That is nothing to complain about. The 4:3 ratio will not expand to 16:9, if it did, then the forum would be filed with complaints that parts of the photo are cut off. Is it too much trouble for you to use your fingers and expand it yourself? I think there are more important things to worry about these days, don't you?
Not to much trouble, but when I see something being advertised in a way I thought the device would function and it doesn't that bothers me. If you bought a house and you were told on the pamphlet that you would get a fireplace and then when you move in you find there is no fireplace I think you would be pissed. Yes there are more important things out there going on, but little things still have a part.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Just because Apple made a misleading commercial that doesn't mean they should now alter the product to fit that ad. What they should be doing is making the commercials match the product, not the other way around.
Actually it does mean they should alter it or at least inform the consumer that they performed editing shots to have the full screen view. People win court cases all the time against companies for doing this exact thing.
__________________
2012 15" MacBook Pro 2.3Ghz i7
iPad 2 32gb (white)
iPhone 5s 16gb x2
AFPoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:54 AM   #9
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFPoster View Post
Not to much trouble, but when I see something being advertised in a way I thought the device would function and it doesn't that bothers me. If you bought a house and you were told on the pamphlet that you would get a fireplace and then when you move in you find there is no fireplace I think you would be pissed. Yes there are more important things out there going on, but little things still have a part.




Actually it does mean they should alter it or at least inform the consumer that they performed editing shots to have the full screen view. People win court cases all the time against companies for doing this exact thing.
'Nuff said

Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best 5s case that protects the entire phone with NO screen cover? clove503 iPhone Accessories 7 Nov 1, 2013 06:46 AM
MacBook Pro Retina full screen video issues/not entire screen real estate full adeedew MacBook Pro 4 Apr 22, 2013 07:40 PM
MBP > Airplay > Apple TV mirror image not filling television screen jmc1978 Apple TV and Home Theater 1 Mar 19, 2013 11:47 PM
Airplay mirroring not filling tv screen dabear OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 0 Aug 11, 2012 06:49 AM
App not filling screen - any way to fix? DayVe3000 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Jul 27, 2012 06:30 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC