Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:17 PM   #1
AFPoster
macrumors 65816

Picture not filling entire screen.

As you can see with my attached picture my screen has black borders on the top and bottom of an image I just took with my iPhone 5. However in this commercial by Apple it shows the full screen, what gives???

Select Turkey video

Link to video: http://www.apple.com/iphone/videos/#tv-ads-thumb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0552.PNG
Views:	43
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	380064  
AFPoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:21 PM   #2
shenfrey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFPoster View Post
As you can see with my attached picture my screen has black borders on the top and bottom of an image I just took with my iPhone 5. However in this [URL="[/URL] by Apple it shows the full screen, what gives???

Select Turkey video

Link to video: [url]
It was done by snapping pictures during recording mode.
Apple TV (2012), IPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen)
shenfrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:46 PM   #3
Cuechick
macrumors regular

Here is another thread that explains why:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...2#post16249182
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:07 PM   #4
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenfrey View Post
It was done by snapping pictures during recording mode.
Or, the images could've been edited in advance, cropped to fit the screen.

Examples: uncropped and cropped versions.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:46 AM   #5
AFPoster
macrumors 65816

Isn't this misleading? I mean I expect to view any picture taken on my phone in full screen view. Not with black borders. I understand the difference in aspect size / pixel ratios, however, if all android devices can fit the screen perfectly and the iPhone - 4s could why can't they scale to fit on the 5. Just seems like a blunder of mistakes on Apples part.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:40 AM   #6
ToddH
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Isn't this misleading? I mean I expect to view any picture taken on my phone in full screen view. Not with black borders. I understand the difference in aspect size / pixel ratios, however, if all android devices can fit the screen perfectly and the iPhone - 4s could why can't they scale to fit on the 5. Just seems like a blunder of mistakes on Apples part.
Really? That is nothing to complain about. The 4:3 ratio will not expand to 16:9, if it did, then the forum would be filed with complaints that parts of the photo are cut off. Is it too much trouble for you to use your fingers and expand it yourself? I think there are more important things to worry about these days, don't you?
ToddH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:53 AM   #7
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Just because Apple made a misleading commercial that doesn't mean they should now alter the product to fit that ad. What they should be doing is making the commercials match the product, not the other way around.
Small White Car is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:52 AM   #8
AFPoster
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddH View Post
Really? That is nothing to complain about. The 4:3 ratio will not expand to 16:9, if it did, then the forum would be filed with complaints that parts of the photo are cut off. Is it too much trouble for you to use your fingers and expand it yourself? I think there are more important things to worry about these days, don't you?
Not to much trouble, but when I see something being advertised in a way I thought the device would function and it doesn't that bothers me. If you bought a house and you were told on the pamphlet that you would get a fireplace and then when you move in you find there is no fireplace I think you would be pissed. Yes there are more important things out there going on, but little things still have a part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Just because Apple made a misleading commercial that doesn't mean they should now alter the product to fit that ad. What they should be doing is making the commercials match the product, not the other way around.
Actually it does mean they should alter it or at least inform the consumer that they performed editing shots to have the full screen view. People win court cases all the time against companies for doing this exact thing.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:54 AM   #9
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Not to much trouble, but when I see something being advertised in a way I thought the device would function and it doesn't that bothers me. If you bought a house and you were told on the pamphlet that you would get a fireplace and then when you move in you find there is no fireplace I think you would be pissed. Yes there are more important things out there going on, but little things still have a part.

Actually it does mean they should alter it or at least inform the consumer that they performed editing shots to have the full screen view. People win court cases all the time against companies for doing this exact thing.
'Nuff said

Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone