Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:21 PM   #1
leopoldbloom
macrumors newbie

iMac colours suddenly went wrong...

Hi all,

I am writing after being at my wit's end trying to sort out my iMac's screen. When we parted company last night everything was just fine, but I got home from work today and the screen has a strange hue to it - black is now a sort of blue. It also looks like the number of colours has been reduced as the shadows from windows looks all screwy, and when I open a video I get those horrible blocks of colours rather than smooth transitions. That I'm colourblind doesn't really help me describe the situation, but I've tried messing around with the colours settings in SysPref and have zapped the PRAM, but all to no avail. Creating another user showed the same issue. I'm on 10.7.5 running on a 2010 3.06 21 inch Intel Core 2 Duo iMac with 4BG RAM - the graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB

Does anyone have a clue what might be wrong? This is driving me up the wall and kind of renders my computer useless at the moment as I do a lot of photography...

Many thanks in advance,

LB
Attached Images

leopoldbloom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:32 PM   #2
leopoldbloom
macrumors newbie

Here is a pic taken of my screen with my iPad to show the weird shadows that I'm getting - the attached shots were screenshots from my computer which of course should have though would display normally on other screens!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	380072  
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:32 PM   #3
seble
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopoldbloom View Post
Hi all,

I am writing after being at my wit's end trying to sort out my iMac's screen. When we parted company last night everything was just fine, but I got home from work today and the screen has a strange hue to it - black is now a sort of blue. It also looks like the number of colours has been reduced as the shadows from windows looks all screwy, and when I open a video I get those horrible blocks of colours rather than smooth transitions. That I'm colourblind doesn't really help me describe the situation, but I've tried messing around with the colours settings in SysPref and have zapped the PRAM, but all to no avail. Creating another user showed the same issue. I'm on 10.7.5 running on a 2010 3.06 21 inch Intel Core 2 Duo iMac with 4BG RAM - the graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB

Does anyone have a clue what might be wrong? This is driving me up the wall and kind of renders my computer useless at the moment as I do a lot of photography...

Many thanks in advance,

LB
Hmm strange, your colours appear fine here from my iPad. Don't know if anyone else can confirm that and suggest as to why... Maybe take a pic of the monitor with a camera and upload that?
seble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:44 PM   #4
leopoldbloom
macrumors newbie

Hi Seble,

Thanks for taking a look - I have attached a photo takes with my iPad now - should have thought that a screenshot would look normal on other screens...

Cheers!

LB
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

All looks normal to me on my iPad as well.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:08 PM   #6
leopoldbloom
macrumors newbie

How about this one to compare with one from my first post?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	21
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	380076  
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:56 PM   #7
Dornblaser

When I open the second picture on my iMac I can see some blue/purple. It almost looks CA, chromatic aberration, which a photographer has not removed in post. Is that picture one that someone posted on the web? Do you see the blue on industry standard websites?
Dornblaser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:26 PM   #8
leopoldbloom
macrumors newbie

Hi Dornblaser,

That photo was taken by me and there is no CA on the original file, as it was yesterday. Can you also see the colour tint in the photo I took of the screen in the window shadow? It's really odd - all the colours seem to have shifted.

It makes my Logic sessions look really strange!

Cheers,

LB
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:29 PM   #9
Dornblaser

The more I look at it, the more it looks like CA. Try correcting the image for CA in LR, A3 or PS and then looking at it again.
Dornblaser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:27 AM   #10
leopoldbloom
macrumors newbie

I really don't think it can be as the photo was displaying fine yesterday. Also this is a problem with how the screen displays all images, not just that particular one.

Here is another photo of the screen that demonstrates the strange colours appearing in the window shadows.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	12
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	380119  
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:33 AM   #11
leopoldbloom
macrumors newbie

One thought that does spring to mind, does anyone know which plist file container the display settings? It might have got corrupted so trashing it could help?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac