Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stu9

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
And to stck to a ordinary laptop and Windows because I'm to used to it.....this came from someone that has their own pc repair business....but I fancy a change

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Of course we will say: go for :apple:

I wouldn't expect too many issues with a conversion. In a worst case you could install windows on it.
But check if you have any special software need based on your current system which might not work with Mac.
Enjoy the change.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
but I fancy a change

Men don't live on left brain alone.

Now the inconvenient truth: COST OF OWNERSHIP. Factor in the new OSX Apps you may have to purchase after the switch.

Other than that, GO FOR IT.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Mac are great, but what do you use your computer for? If you mostly use applications that are PC only, maybe sticking with PCs is the best idea.

cire1244

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
How many people do you know that switched from PC to Mac?

How about from Mac to PC?

I rest my case.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
LOL, good luck with the battery in your PC laptop, and make sure you have AC power outlets nearby when you are busy with it:p

I won't switch back until I find a PC laptop that has better battery life than my MBP that has dual drive (SSD + HDD in optic bay):p

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
LOL, good luck with the battery in your PC laptop, and make sure you have AC power outlets nearby when you are busy with it:p

I won't switch back until I find a PC laptop that has better battery life than my MBP that has dual drive (SSD + HDD in optic bay):p

pretty sure the thinkpad x230 for example has standard 15hrs and then a snap on battery slice to extend to 24hrs...some pc laptops have great battery life.... lenovo also lets you custom config dual hard drives in many of their laptops from their website, you don't even have to DIY...

both of your points suck, but i still vote for getting a mac if you want one.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012

Lenovo T430 (supports HDD in optical bay, also an mSATA drive for 3 drives)
Lenovo T430s (if you give up the optical bay for a battery then mSATA + HDD)
Lenovo X230 (mSATA + HDD)
Lenovo W530 (supports HDD in optical bay, also an mSATA drive for 3 drives)

All 4 have excellent battery life - better than my 2012 rMBP. However, I still prefer OS X and my rMBP. I was a Lenovo user and if I needed a Windows/Linux machine - that is the way I would go.

Rhinoevans

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Mac are great, but what do you use your computer for? If you mostly use applications that are PC only, maybe sticking with PCs is the best idea.

What T5BRICK is spot on. What will you be using the computer for.

I bought the MBP over a month ago, and yes it is nice. However, I still do most of my work on a PC. Just installed a new SSD "ON MY PC"

OSX is not really better than Windows 7 or 8, just different.

The battery life is different, which I don't really understand why since they all use the same hardware these days (intel).

Good luck with your choice

Knowing what I know now about my MBP, I would have been better off with a new Ivy Bridge PC. I thought Mac we SO MUCH BETTER. Not really, just look at all the complaints and whining on this forum about resetting this or resetting that, etc, not to mention all the retina issues!

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
The battery life is different, which I don't really understand why since they all use the same hardware these days (intel).

Macs use Lithium Polymer batteries in thin sheets and they take up most of the laptop. To get the same battery life on most PCs you would have to buy the $150 extended 9-cell battery and there would be a big bulge on the back of the laptop.

Inside_line

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
U.S.A.
A mid-2010 MBP is incompatible with the latest version of Safari.

Regardless of everyone's defense of that statement, they cannot defend the fact that you have to pay to update Safari on that machine.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
A mid-2010 MBP is incompatible with the latest version of Safari.

Regardless of everyone's defense of that statement, they cannot defend the fact that you have to pay to update Safari on that machine.

I have a mid-2009 MBP running Safari 6.0.2 :confused: Or is there a problem with that specific machine?

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
?....this came from someone that has their own pc repair business....but I fancy a change

These still exist?

Never shop with this guy again, he is clearly an idiot.

You'll love the Apple experience, and you can even run windows!

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
you wont look back. i use 2 cad programmes which are windows only so ive got a dual boot of osx and windows 7 on my ssd with a partitioned hdd for storage in the optibay. its an excellent machine that no windows machine would ever match for functionality.
whenever i use windows i cant wait to get back to osx lol

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Your friends tells you no
People here say yes

What do you think? What's your price range? What do you use a computer for? Do you want to switch? Have you researched both for personal pros and cons, not what other people think are pros and cons?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.