Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:35 PM   #1
banffboop
macrumors newbie

Excel to Numbers for Mac

I have created an excel spreadsheet on my mac, thinking I would like to buy Numbers as I would be able to use it better on my iPad (correct)
Can the Excel file that I created, be easily merged into a Numbers file without starting over?
Thanks for any help
banffboop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:39 PM   #2
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Yes, Numbers supports the Excel format. If you are wondering how to get it onto your iPad, just send and email to yourself with it as an attachment, and send it to Numbers.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:48 PM   #3
Switchback666
macrumors 65816

Ive had issues with excel files to open on ipad Numbers, some didnt open (froze) others did but a mess.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:50 PM   #4
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Yeah, that's always an issue with Word alternatives.

To the OP: If you need to use your iPad for spreadsheets, avoid Excel and use Numbers when possible. It has much better compatibility and keeps formatting the same.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Switchback666
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
Yeah, that's always an issue with Word alternatives.

To the OP: If you need to use your iPad for spreadsheets, avoid Excel and use Numbers when possible. It has much better compatibility and keeps formatting the same.
I agree if you want to update/work with files on your ipad better just use numbers on mac too.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:17 AM   #6
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by banffboop View Post
I have created an excel spreadsheet on my mac, thinking I would like to buy Numbers as I would be able to use it better on my iPad (correct)
Can the Excel file that I created, be easily merged into a Numbers file without starting over?
Thanks for any help
The answer is... maybe. It depends on the complexity of the Excel spreadsheet you are trying to import to Numbers. If it is a spreadsheet with mostly just simple math calculations, odds are it will import with no problem. But if you are using some of the more advanced Excel features like pivot tables, don't count on it importing very well.

If if is nothing secret, I would be glad to try a Numbers import of your file if you want to send it to me. Just PM me.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store