Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Titus
macrumors member

iMovie 11 to DVD?

I recently bought a camcorder and have been using iMovie 11 to create movies. I'd like to convert these movies to a DVD. I'm using an iMac 27" mid-2010 with 16 G Ram and Mountain Lion.

Because of my job, I'm a PC person but want to learn more about the Mac and, eventually, get rid of PC.

What do I need to buy in order to do this?

Thanks.
Apple TV
Titus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:13 AM   #2
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

Back in the day.....

I would have said iDVD or DVD Studio Pro from Apple. But right now these programs are outdated. Maybe Roxio has some program that works for you. The thing about DVDs is: You want to create a plain DVD or an elaborated one (transitions, themes and so on)? Plain DVD with a bunch of movies is pretty easy, can be done from the Finder
Adobe Premiere with Encore can be a solution, but also can be overkill/overpriced for your needs

Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:07 AM   #3
Photoshopper
macrumors regular

I'm just a video noob amateur, but it didn't take long to realize what a PITA it was to create just a simple DVD.
Are you shooting/ editing in HD? If so, you're going to be disappointed in the output quality of DVD's. I've tried a consumer DVD app, it was worthless junk, seems no one supports the technology anymore, at least at the consumer level .
Creating a pro-quality DVD seems harder than creating the original movie.
One thing I learned: if you want to just get your movies on a disc, turn it into a disc image first, you'll have far fewer issues burning the disc.
Hope this helps, search the forum for previous threads.
Photoshopper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:43 AM   #4
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

Has the iMac not got DVD software installed? I think they done away with Mountain Lion. I don't have M.L. so i'm a bit behind.
You would like the easiest way?. This is not everybody's way but it works for me.
I edit my videos in iMovie if i do a family project with all the trimming. I then export it back to my camera and then use my DVD recorder and burn a disk.
There are some good threads on YouTube to dive into too get a better understanding.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Titus
macrumors member

IMovie 11 to IMovie APP for iPad

I just downloaded the iMovie App to my iPad. When I create a movie in iMovie 11 will it automatically transfer to this app. I could then mirror it to my 60 inch TV that is connected to an apple TV?

Sounds too easy....am I missing something?
Apple TV
Titus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:55 PM   #6
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

Why did you not load it to your iMac.?
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:08 AM   #7
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

With a mid 2010 Mac you may still have iDVD in your Applications folder. If not you will need something like Burn, which is free:
http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

or Roxio Toast, which isn't:
http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/to.../overview.html

If you're shooting HD video and you want an HD dvd to watch, you'll need an external HD/BluRay dvd burner as well.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video