Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themainevent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2011
I have an iphone 4s that was purchased by a friend on craigslist...turns out the phone was reported stolen and theres no way for at&t to unlock because of this. we need the phone unlocked to work on a different carrier. is there any legit method out there to do this your self yet or is at&t the only option?

I have seen claims on ebay of people selling 'unlock kits' that can supposedly unlock any phone, but i cant help but be a little skeptical. anyone have success with this?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I have an iphone 4s that was purchased by a friend on craigslist...turns out the phone was reported stolen and theres no way for at&t to unlock because of this. we need the phone unlocked to work on a different carrier. is there any legit method out there to do this your self yet or is at&t the only option?

I have seen claims on ebay of people selling 'unlock kits' that can supposedly unlock any phone, but i cant help but be a little skeptical. anyone have success with this?

There's no "legit" way to unblock a stolen phone. It belongs to either the original owner, or the insurance company that paid out.

t01

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2013
It's blacklisted.
If you unlock it you will still wont be able to use it.
Unless its used outside of the country it was listed as stolen.

Hi, a friend of mine bought an allegedly stolen iPhone from overseas (Bolivia). Can she unlock it and use it in our country (Peru) with our local carriers? If its reported stolen, it becomes useless internationally?

t01

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2013
Read posts #3 & #4

1. We asked someone to unlock it but it seems he's having a hard time doing it. But if it does work outside the country of origin, we might be able to get it to work here.
2. We cannot return it unless we fly to its country of origin and return it to its carrier.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Hi, a friend of mine bought an allegedly stolen iPhone from overseas (Bolivia). Can she unlock it and use it in our country (Peru) with our local carriers? If its reported stolen, it becomes useless internationally?

I doubt you can buy an imei unlock for a bolivian carrier, probably only option would be a gevey sim to unlock it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.