Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:54 PM   #1
WhackyNinja
macrumors 68000
 
WhackyNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Send a message via Skype™ to WhackyNinja
Which is better? iCloud Backup or iTunes?

Hi, Im familiar with iOS. I had an iPod Touch (4th gen) in 2010 and now I have an iPhone 5. But I've been wondering.

Is it better to backup your iPhone on iCloud or iTunes?

I've been using iTunes backup ever since iOS 4 which was before iCloud
__________________
13'' MacBook Pro (Late 2011); OS X Yosemite Beta 5; Windows 8.1
Google Nexus 5 32GB; Android 4.4.4

"Am I a good man?" -The Twelfth Doctor
WhackyNinja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
iTunes is much, much, much more convenient in my opinion. Otherwise you're having to restore from the internet (iCloud account), and that has a downside of taking much, much longer being that they can be in gigabytes.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:13 PM   #3
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
You can do both. The thing you have to pick is which one you want to be automatic and which one you want to be manual. When you pick one that's what it's doing...saying which one is auto. It's not saying you can't do the other method in addition.

I have iCloud set to automatic so it happens when I'm asleep. Then, about once a week or so, when my phone is plugged in to iTunes I right-click it and tell it to back up. That way I have both.

If I'm ever planning ahead to restore (like, a I'm getting a new phone) I'll make a new iTunes back-up and use that. It's much faster.

But if my phone ever falls in a lake I'll be glad I have that nightly iCloud back-up that's probably newer than my iTunes back-up. In that case I'd restore from iCloud.
Small White Car is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:39 PM   #4
nw9
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
iTunes is much, much, much more convenient in my opinion. Otherwise you're having to restore from the internet (iCloud account), and that has a downside of taking much, much longer being that they can be in gigabytes.
I agree. iTunes is still more convenient and quicker. It's also piece of mind to me when I have a backup that I can make sure is saved and backed up. iCloud has already had a major shutdown problem awhile back when many people couldn't access their iCloud accounts. This might happen again in the future when you need to do a restore. The worst case scenario would be if iCloud losses all your data.

That's the problem I have with cloud services in general. We have to trust someone else to make sure everything is backed up properly and that their servers will be available when we need them. Many of them do a good job, but there are times when it would've been good if I had my own backup copy to use. There have been a few times when I couldn't access my data when I needed it. Cloud services can be great, but I still wouldn't fully depend on them entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
You can do both.
That's probably the best solution. It's a good idea to have multiple backups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
But if my phone ever falls in a lake I'll be glad I have that nightly iCloud back-up that's probably newer than my iTunes back-up. In that case I'd restore from iCloud.
I've been good about backing up every night in iTunes, so it's not a problem for me. It's a habit that I've been doing with my Mac and my computers in general, so it was an easy habit for me to do with my iPhone. I know not everyone is willing to do it though.

Last edited by nw9; Nov 27, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
nw9 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:43 AM   #5
WhackyNinja
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
WhackyNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Send a message via Skype™ to WhackyNinja
Quote:
Originally Posted by nw9 View Post
I agree. iTunes is still more convenient and quicker. It's also piece of mind to me when I have a backup that I can make sure is saved and backed up. iCloud has already had a major shutdown problem awhile back when many people couldn't access their iCloud accounts. This might happen again in the future when you need to do a restore. The worst case scenario would be if iCloud losses all your data.

That's the problem I have with cloud services in general. We have to trust someone else to make sure everything is backed up properly and that their servers will be available when we need them. Many of them do a good job, but there are times when it would've been good if I had my own backup copy to use. There have been a few times when I couldn't access my data when I needed it. Cloud services can be great, but I still wouldn't fully depend on them entirely.



That's probably the best solution. It's a good idea to have multiple backups.


I've been good about backing up every night in iTunes, so it's not a problem for me. It's a habit that I've been doing with my Mac and my computers in general, so it was an easy habit for me to do with my iPhone. I know not everyone is willing to do it though.
Thanks you two! I might as well probably do a iCloud backup and once a week an iTunes backup like it was said before. I still think iTunes is quicker but you never know when you may need a backup in an emergency.
WhackyNinja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:20 AM   #6
8a22a
macrumors 6502a
 
8a22a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Yorkshire, UK
iCloud because you don't need a computer at all.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB iPad mini 16GB TV 3
8a22a is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:22 AM   #7
nw9
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhackyNinja View Post
Thanks you two! I might as well probably do a iCloud backup and once a week an iTunes backup like it was said before. I still think iTunes is quicker but you never know when you may need a backup in an emergency.
If you had to choose only one, I personally would pick iTunes backups for the speed and convenience. If you also have bandwidth cap limits then that would be a factor in your decision too.
nw9 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:07 AM   #8
CTHarrryH
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I do both as others have stated.

I also have an issue - stated other places that when I wake my phone up in the am it always says it has just completed a backup (wake up at 5 - last backup time is 5) so I'm not sure I totally trust iCloud at this point in time. But if you ever need it and not at your iTunes computer iClouds will be very important.
CTHarrryH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:08 AM   #9
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a
 
FlatlinerG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada
Why not both? Let it back up to iCloud each night and use iTunes to back it up when you know you've made some significant changes that warrant an extra backup.

No harm in having more than one backup.
__________________
Late 2011 MBP 13"
2TB Time Capsule, 2nd Gen AppleTV
16GB Black iPhone 5, 32GB Black iPad 2
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:15 AM   #10
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a
 
KeepCalmPeople's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California
With iTunes on Windows 7, restoring from an iTunes backup has been very hit-and-miss for me. I'd say 50% of the time the backup runs successfully but the restore fails because the 'backup wasn't successful' (according to the message). When I restore I do an iCloud backup and iTunes backup, try to restore from the iTunes backup, and if that fails, restore from the iCloud backup (which has NEVER failed for me).

One other thing - if you restore from an iTunes backup, all your non-Apple content in iTunes also is restored.
KeepCalmPeople is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:29 AM   #11
Sheldonsmith
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Is there a way to do a manual iCloud backup via WiFi, yet still sync normally to iTunes on a PC?
__________________
Sheldon Smith
www.minus4plus6.com
Sheldonsmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:44 PM   #12
CTHarrryH
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonsmith View Post
Is there a way to do a manual iCloud backup via WiFi, yet still sync normally to iTunes on a PC?
Sure - when on WIFI just go into icloud storage and backup and select the back up now button.
CTHarrryH is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
itunes backup vs icloud backup CHMK iOS 7 3 Sep 12, 2013 01:16 PM
iCloud backup vs iTunes backup cappers iCloud and Apple Services 4 Jul 31, 2013 01:30 AM
Switched to iCloud Backup - Can I Delete iTunes Backup? PTVMan iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Mar 25, 2013 09:23 PM
General: iCloud backup vs iTunes backup rocknblogger Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 1 Feb 25, 2013 07:41 PM
iTunes local backup encryption vs iCloud backup pafell iOS 6 4 Oct 11, 2012 06:33 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC