Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:55 PM   #1
cloud25
macrumors newbie

New iPhone scratched, return?

I finally received my iPhone 5 after a month of waiting in the mail. Sadly I just took it out of the box and saw the back was scratched and had a tiny nick on it.

I'm thinking of returning it. In your opinion, is this scratch worthy of a return if it happened to your new iPhone? Would I be able to walk into the store and exchange it for a brand new one (in box) on the spot?

http://imgur.com/4HjBx

http://imgur.com/reWp8

http://imgur.com/g25oL
cloud25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:59 PM   #2
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502

Dude, it's up to you. I personally could live with that. I tend to take pretty good care of my phones and my iPhone 4s didn't get a scratch on the back till a year after I had it. I see it as a unique aspect of the phone - helps me identify it (wife has same phone), etc... Can't answer the last question.
BigMcGuire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Up to you.
You shouldnt have a problem getting it replaced at Apple.
Applejuiced is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:18 PM   #4
lke
macrumors 6502

I could live with that scratch, if you replace it with a new one after some months it will have similar scratches.

I would be more scared if my new iphone 5 is bend, I could live with a scratch like the one in your iphone, but having a bend iphone is not possible. You can detect this by placing your iphone in a flat table and press it in one side.

Gizmodo today has this news exactly about this issue:

http://gizmodo.com/5963445/the-iphon...o-months-later

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.

Last edited by OllyW; Nov 28, 2012 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Changed tags on oversized images from IMG to TIMG
lke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:22 PM   #5
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Obviously that gizmodo i5 have been dropped a bunch of times and has a lot of abuse.
That's not the average wear and tear IMO.
My release day iphone 5 still looks perfect with no scratches, dings, scrapes, chips or dents at all.
I just got a bumper case on and a screen protector.
Applejuiced is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:12 AM   #6
Breezygirl
macrumors regular

Yes, I would return it. A new iPhone should not be scratched out of the box.
Breezygirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:24 AM   #7
wordoflife
macrumors 604

I would just keep it but that doesn't mean you should or have to.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:26 AM   #8
Myiphone7
Banned

Honestly if I paid $900 I would. If I paid $200 I would be OK with it assuming everything else is working.
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:29 AM   #9
noteple
macrumors 6502a

Unless they discounted it for the scratches, return it.
noteple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:41 AM   #10
mikeydeezy
macrumors 6502a

I have a huge issue with obsessive compulsiveness over my devices and combing for issues and I believe I could live with that even.

In regards to that Gizmodo pic:
How in the world is the screen/back not scratched being laid on what appears to be concrete?
mikeydeezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:14 AM   #11
BoricuaHec01
macrumors 6502

Watch your exchanged iPhone have more problems, especially internally lol.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:18 AM   #12
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01 View Post
Watch your exchanged iPhone have more problems, especially internally lol.
If that's the case he can return that one as well. The great thing about Apple is if there is an issue with your phone they will let you return it for another. Granted they even let some people when there is no real issue, but that's another matter.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:18 AM   #13
rmhop81
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud25 View Post
I finally received my iPhone 5 after a month of waiting in the mail. Sadly I just took it out of the box and saw the back was scratched and had a tiny nick on it.

I'm thinking of returning it. In your opinion, is this scratch worthy of a return if it happened to your new iPhone? Would I be able to walk into the store and exchange it for a brand new one (in box) on the spot?

http://imgur.com/4HjBx

http://imgur.com/g25oL
are you sure it's a scratch? sometimes things have marks on them but it's just a rubber mark etc and can be wiped off. it's crazy people would waste a few hours of their time for a small mark.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:21 AM   #14
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhop81 View Post
are you sure it's a scratch? sometimes things have marks on them but it's just a rubber mark etc and can be wiped off. it's crazy people would waste a few hours of their time for a small mark.
I'm sure to someone you waste hours of your time doing some kind of what in their opinion is nonsense. You shouldn't be called crazy for it though.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:25 AM   #15
rmhop81
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
I'm sure to someone you waste hours of your time doing some kind of what in their opinion is nonsense. You shouldn't be called crazy for it though.
i'll go return my 15th iPhone 5, but hey that's not crazy
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:27 AM   #16
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
i'll go return my 15th iPhone 5, but hey that's not crazy
If all 15 had issues it's not crazy at all.
VandyChem2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:29 AM   #17
rmhop81
macrumors 68020

Quote:
If all 15 had issues it's not crazy at all.
you find going to the apple store 15 times to exchange an item.....normal?

I think a normal person would do it a few times and if there is still a problem they would either keep what they have or return it and buy something else. to do something 15 times, that's not normal.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:29 AM   #18
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

I'd definitely bring it back. It should be flawless out of the box.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:32 AM   #19
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:

I think a normal person would do it a few times and if there is still a problem they would either keep what they have or return it and buy something else. to do something 15 times, that's not normal.
Thank you for your opinion on what is normal.

I might add that it is also normal to expect something that is purchased to be "flawless" out of the box. If it's something you want and it takes 15 times to get it, so be it. No less normal or crazy than anything else.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:38 AM   #20
Nale72
macrumors regular

Quote:

For Apple to make a product that's damaged from the box and expect a customer to pay full premium price for it is not normal. Or is this what is to be expected from "Post Jobs" Apple?
Nale72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:41 AM   #21
rmhop81
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Thank you for your opinion on what is normal.

I might add that it is also normal to expect something that is purchased to be "flawless" out of the box. If it's something you want and it takes 15 times to get it, so be it. No less normal or crazy than anything else.
and what if it takes 25 times......that's still normal as well? what about 50?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nale72 View Post
For Apple to make a product that's damaged from the box and expect a customer to pay full premium price for it is not normal. Or is this what is to be expected from "Post Jobs" Apple?

people are acting like there is a huge gash in the phone. I had similar marks on my phone and you know what? I got a wet cloth and they were just rub marks that came off. it's sad people are doing returns up to 15-20 times for a tiny mark like the OP.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:43 AM   #22
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
and what if it takes 25 times......that's still normal as well? what about 50?
You can deduce that if going 15 times to exchange something in order to get a perfect item is fine, going 25-50 would also be perfectly fine as well. Would I do it? Heck no, I have much better things to do with my time. Am I going to call someone who chooses to do it crazy? Heck no, who am I to judge them for wanting something perfect?

But again all of this stuff is simply opinion, if you think it's crazy you have that right to believe that it is. The same way that I have the right to believe that it's perfectly normal.
VandyChem2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:27 PM   #23
jrasero
macrumors member

have you tried rubbing it out, sounds odd but my white iPhone I thought had these pit marks but really it was resign or glue.

Someone made a good point. If you plan on keeping it without a case it's going to look even worse and have a ton of scratches. If your someone who is OCD or resells there phones and uses a case then return

it's pretty easy to return if an Apple store is near you
jrasero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:01 PM   #24
itjw
Banned

Quote:

This.

Except the OCD "I deserve" this and "It should be" that crowd think it is perfectly normal to obsess over a mm "scuff" on what is a daily use device and that returning it dozens of times in the hunt for a "perfect" one (that won't stay that way for more than a few days anyway) is perfectly rational and normal.

They think that because they spent money (any amount of it really... if it was $40.00 they would say that was a lot, it doesn't matter) that it must defy the laws of consumer electronics and arrive 100% flawless (no reason but because they spent their money and because they say so).

NO iP5 is "perfect", sorry. Give me a microscope and a few hours and I can find a flaw. That's essentially what the OCD do, even if it's on a slightly larger scale. I've seen people at the Apple store with magnifying glasses. They lose sleep much? Sheesh...

And yes, you are correct, a normal person that was really this upset by such a "travesty" (at least something horrible enough to warrant a dozen trips there) wouldn't keep returning for more punishment. A normal person would return it a couple times, and if it still didn't meet their expectations they'd move on to something else that did.

Then there's that definition of insanity...

It's certainly their right to return it as many times as Apple will allow, but they're kidding themselves if they think the majority of the world considers it "normal". Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean it's the norm.

It's not. Sorry.
itjw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:35 PM   #25
Jalopybox
Banned

Yep, return it, on principle alone. Took 12 5's for them to get it right with me.
Jalopybox is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone