Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:39 PM   #1
faroZ06
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bug: Leftover User on Returned iPad!

My mom just got an iPad 4th gen new from Apple during the Black Friday sale, and I told it to sync up with an iPhone backup on iCloud. Before then, it was in the "setup" mode like it was new. I doubt this matters, but it came with a 90% charge. Is it supposed to be 90% or 0%?

First of all, the home button on the iPad is messed up, which is really not cool considering that it's supposed to be brand new. It's fine the majority of the time, but sometimes, it doesn't respond, and sometimes, it thinks you're pressing it twice when you're really pressing it once. It also feels sticky and doesn't click at all. I don't know if this is normal or an indication of a broken home button.

Secondly, there is this REALLY weird bug. When all of the apps were installing, it seemed to get stuck. I clicked on an app that was loading, and it asked me for my Apple ID. This is normal because I used my ID to download some apps. But then I pressed cancel, and it asked for the ID by the name of "kmoore562". Nobody has any idea who this is. I Googled the name and got random accounts for YouTube and such.

Now, it seemingly randomly asks for the kmoore562 ID when I press one of the apps that is loading. It usually asks for my ID (about 80% of the time), but I didn't enter my password because I want to keep the evidence there for returning the iPad.

How did a past user account end up on a freshly wiped iPad? There is no way this kmoore562 ID was used on the iPhone that the iCloud backup is from, and I tried updating apps on the iPhone and reproducing the problem and couldn't get it to happen. So somehow, the past user of this iPad had his account stay on there after a return/wipe.

RESOLVED: This is an issue that some have been reporting on Apple's support site. Thanks to Doctor Who. I don't know whether or not this is a returned iPad, but the account problem would not result from it being returned. It seems to be a server bug.

Last edited by faroZ06; Nov 28, 2012 at 09:06 PM.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:04 AM   #2
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a
 
KeepCalmPeople's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California
Well I hope that's an anomaly. I returned an iPad to Target after resetting all content and settings.
KeepCalmPeople is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:04 AM   #3
Ishimaru
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Los Angeles
That's why you sign out of the stores before you reset.
Ishimaru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:31 AM   #4
sdsvtdriver
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego
if any music/apps/books, etc were acquired in a fashion other than the itunes store, then this will happen as someone's apple id is associated with the content.
sdsvtdriver is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:01 AM   #5
rollzst
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Happened to me before with an iphone 5, kinda made me think I had been given a refurbished one. Luckily I don't have that iphone anymore and have not had it happen with my new ne.
__________________
Macbook Pro 13" (2011)
iPhone 5 64GB White
iPad 32GB White Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th gen)
http://www.integratech.co.uk
rollzst is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:14 AM   #6
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
My mom just got an iPad 4th gen new from Apple during the Black Friday sale, and I told it to sync up with an iPhone backup on iCloud. Before then, it was in the "setup" mode like it was new. I doubt this matters, but it came with a 90% charge. Is it supposed to be 90% or 0%?

First of all, the home button on the iPad is messed up, which is really not cool considering that it's supposed to be brand new. It's fine the majority of the time, but sometimes, it doesn't respond, and sometimes, it thinks you're pressing it twice when you're really pressing it once. It also feels sticky and doesn't click at all. I don't know if this is normal or an indication of a broken home button.

Secondly, there is this REALLY weird bug. When all of the apps were installing, it seemed to get stuck. I clicked on an app that was loading, and it asked me for my Apple ID. This is normal because I used my ID to download some apps. But then I pressed cancel, and it asked for the ID by the name of "kmoore562". Nobody has any idea who this is. I Googled the name and got random accounts for YouTube and such.

Now, it seemingly randomly asks for the kmoore562 ID when I press one of the apps that is loading. It usually asks for my ID (about 80% of the time), but I didn't enter my password because I want to keep the evidence there for returning the iPad.

How did a past user account end up on a freshly wiped iPad? There is no way this kmoore562 ID was used on the iPhone that the iCloud backup is from, and I tried updating apps on the iPhone and reproducing the problem and couldn't get it to happen. So somehow, the past user of this iPad had his account stay on there after a return/wipe.
Perhaps Target wrapped up a returned iPad and sold it as new....seems to be happening sometimes, return it....
__________________
W2P KLD talking...what's your handle, WR2 GFO?
Defender2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:22 AM   #7
Pinksteady
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
My mom just got an iPad 4th gen new from Apple during the Black Friday sale, and I told it to sync up with an iPhone backup on iCloud. Before then, it was in the "setup" mode like it was new. I doubt this matters, but it came with a 90% charge. Is it supposed to be 90% or 0%?

First of all, the home button on the iPad is messed up, which is really not cool considering that it's supposed to be brand new. It's fine the majority of the time, but sometimes, it doesn't respond, and sometimes, it thinks you're pressing it twice when you're really pressing it once. It also feels sticky and doesn't click at all. I don't know if this is normal or an indication of a broken home button.

Secondly, there is this REALLY weird bug. When all of the apps were installing, it seemed to get stuck. I clicked on an app that was loading, and it asked me for my Apple ID. This is normal because I used my ID to download some apps. But then I pressed cancel, and it asked for the ID by the name of "kmoore562". Nobody has any idea who this is. I Googled the name and got random accounts for YouTube and such.

Now, it seemingly randomly asks for the kmoore562 ID when I press one of the apps that is loading. It usually asks for my ID (about 80% of the time), but I didn't enter my password because I want to keep the evidence there for returning the iPad.

How did a past user account end up on a freshly wiped iPad? There is no way this kmoore562 ID was used on the iPhone that the iCloud backup is from, and I tried updating apps on the iPhone and reproducing the problem and couldn't get it to happen. So somehow, the past user of this iPad had his account stay on there after a return/wipe.
I experienced the same thing when re-installing apps from iCloud after a reset; it would pop up asking for an apple ID with someone else's details in the email address field. It was actually my girlfriend's address but still, I'd never ever used her account or linked it to anything on my phone before.

Turns out it was because some music that was re-syncing from iTunes contained tracks I had copied from my girlfriend's collection, which I'm guessing she bought from iTunes, so my phone was asking to confirm authorisation I think, or something like that.

Have you checked if there's any music still trying to sync?
Pinksteady is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:50 AM   #8
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinksteady View Post
I experienced the same thing when re-installing apps from iCloud after a reset; it would pop up asking for an apple ID with someone else's details in the email address field. It was actually my girlfriend's address but still, I'd never ever used her account or linked it to anything on my phone before.

Turns out it was because some music that was re-syncing from iTunes contained tracks I had copied from my girlfriend's collection, which I'm guessing she bought from iTunes, so my phone was asking to confirm authorisation I think, or something like that.

Have you checked if there's any music still trying to sync?
Yeah with each device you have to verify thhat you are authorized to play the file.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:35 AM   #9
KandyKane
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Australia
Was your previous iDevice jail broken? Or was the backup from a backup of a previously jail broken device? If it was and there were apps acquired by other means than the App Store, it would do that...
KandyKane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:39 AM   #10
faroZ06
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinksteady View Post
I experienced the same thing when re-installing apps from iCloud after a reset; it would pop up asking for an apple ID with someone else's details in the email address field. It was actually my girlfriend's address but still, I'd never ever used her account or linked it to anything on my phone before.

Turns out it was because some music that was re-syncing from iTunes contained tracks I had copied from my girlfriend's collection, which I'm guessing she bought from iTunes, so my phone was asking to confirm authorisation I think, or something like that.

Have you checked if there's any music still trying to sync?
It hasn't been synced to a computer yet. The iPad was in the "setup" mode originally, so shouldn't it be completely fresh and not linked to anything? The user account somehow survived a wipe.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
Perhaps Target wrapped up a returned iPad and sold it as new....seems to be happening sometimes, return it....
It's from Apple directly.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:40 AM   #11
mattopotamus
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
just return it. As for the battery, that is normal. I want to say mine came at around 88%
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:44 AM   #12
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
It hasn't been synced to a computer yet. The iPad was in the "setup" mode originally, so shouldn't it be completely fresh and not linked to anything? The user account somehow survived a wipe.

----------



It's from Apple directly.
Doesnt have to be synced up yet. If you are trying to access a file that is related to someone elses apple account you can get that. You probably downloaded a file from someone else's iTunes account. The backup stored it anyway thinking you would still have access to that account once you tried to upload it to your new device.
AdonisSMU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:35 PM   #13
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a
 
KeepCalmPeople's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California
So the Apple ID prompt is related to the content in the backup file being restored onto the iPad 4, not the iPad 4 itself...? Thank goodness!
KeepCalmPeople is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:03 PM   #14
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
In regards to the charge, they don't come with 100% charge and I've seen different %s on the various iDevices I've purchased.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:36 PM   #15
faroZ06
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post
Doesnt have to be synced up yet. If you are trying to access a file that is related to someone elses apple account you can get that. You probably downloaded a file from someone else's iTunes account. The backup stored it anyway thinking you would still have access to that account once you tried to upload it to your new device.
There was definitely no app downloaded from that account. Also, the fact that it asks for the account at "random" times and has never asked before on the iPhone suggests that something is going wrong.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
In regards to the charge, they don't come with 100% charge and I've seen different %s on the various iDevices I've purchased.
OK, so Apple just charges them before they sell them, and they lose a little in inventory. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:47 PM   #16
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
There was definitely no app downloaded from that account. Also, the fact that it asks for the account at "random" times and has never asked before on the iPhone suggests that something is going wrong.

----------



OK, so Apple just charges them before they sell them, and they lose a little in inventory. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.
it could just be a glitch with iCloud. Do you really think apple is trying to sell you an old iPad?
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:14 PM   #17
Crabnbass
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
My iPad 4 home button sucks too. Does everything that you described. Probably works right about half the time. I am hoping it is just a software glitch that will be fixed in a future update.
Crabnbass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:29 PM   #18
DoctorWho
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hobart, Tasmania
The iPad having 90% charge right out of the box is normal. All iPads and iDevices should.

As for the random Apple IDs popping up, it's a well-documented bug within iOS.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16535969#16535969

It doesn't sound like it's anything to be concerned about (nor does it sound like you received a 'returned' iPad. As for the home button, well, I'd probably return it because of that.
__________________
MacBook Air - 2012, Thunderbolt Display, iPad Mini, iPhone 5
DoctorWho is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:58 PM   #19
faroZ06
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post
it could just be a glitch with iCloud. Do you really think apple is trying to sell you an old iPad?
People do return iPads, so I'd imagine they clean, wipe, and repackage them. Are they sold as new or refurbished? The main thing that made me think it was returned is the home button feeling worn-out and not working sometimes, but it doesn't seem like Apple would sell returned items. Who knows, it could be a mistake by an employee, or Apple really does sell returned items as new.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
The iPad having 90% charge right out of the box is normal. All iPads and iDevices should.

As for the random Apple IDs popping up, it's a well-documented bug within iOS.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16535969#16535969

It doesn't sound like it's anything to be concerned about (nor does it sound like you received a 'returned' iPad. As for the home button, well, I'd probably return it because of that.
Thanks! This is something I was looking for, but I couldn't get any search results on Google or Apple.com that weren't about using two Apple IDs or something.

You've solved the mystery here, at least partially. I hope Apple fixes the bug because it's a bit scary that Apple servers somehow giving people the wrong data. The fact that it happens randomly when I press the app might be due to the iPad asking the server for authorization and getting the wrong user in return due to a bug in the server.

Last edited by faroZ06; Nov 28, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Tags
bug, glitch, ios

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Returned iPad Air, Returning iPad 4 refurb...now what? KhunJay iPad 19 Jan 12, 2014 08:42 PM
MacBook Air Late 2011 Wi-Fi bug has returned booyahbooyah MacBook Air 6 Jan 1, 2014 02:22 PM
iPad: returned iPad - did not restore maylen iPad 3 Dec 14, 2013 12:22 PM
iPad Mini: How many iPad rMinis have you returned? DelMac iPad 53 Nov 28, 2013 08:54 AM
iPad: I returned The New iPad to Best buy gabo864 iPad 16 Nov 1, 2012 03:36 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC