Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:29 AM   #126
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603

Wow! New Apple products that are in short supply for the first few months after release. When did this start?
AppleScruff1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:30 AM   #127
AppleInTheMud
macrumors regular

This starts reminding me about the Amiga Scene...

Lots of promises about great products and NOTHING happens... Just the good stuff getting worse, and then even not being delivered.
AppleInTheMud is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:32 AM   #128
chirpie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
There's a big difference between rumours and official announcements. Apple certainly haven't announced the next Mac Pro. Hopefully they won't do so until it's actually ready to ship. If it's shipping on the last day of November it should have been announced in November, not in mid-October!
Well Steve said Final Cut Pro X was coming and it was going to be "awesome" in Fall of 2010. I don't think that was a rumor. Then a little over half a year after that Apple had a giant preview for video editors at a major conference, announcing it would come out a few months later. I don't think that was a rumor. Then it finally came out. Half baked. Then a year after that it was finally ready for primetime. That most certainly wasn't a rumor. ^_^

And the current president of Apple said a new mac pro was coming. That's not what I'd consider a rumor either.

All of that to say, the point is, I think this iMac launch is mid tier drawn out at best, but then, I'm one of the idiots who bought a beige G3 tower in '97 when Apple was at absolute rock bottom, so maybe you should take what I say with a grain of salt. ^_^;

Last edited by chirpie; Nov 28, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
chirpie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:41 AM   #129
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
You know you can design the greatest device in the world and have everyone drooling over it, but if you cannot deliver, time and time again, people will move on and realize the difference between wants and needs.

Apple is dropping the ball big time IMHO, the iPhone 5, iTunes 11, the iPad mini and now the iMac...
It's unfortunate that there are not enough leading edge companies out there that are able to keep up with Apple's technology and production demands. Perhaps Apple should hold back on rapid innovation? NOT!

----------

Why don't Apple get another supply chain before the release of new iMac? Tim Cook should think about what he is doing to Apple.[/QUOTE]

If there was "another supply chain", I think Apple would be using it. Trouble is that manufacturers can't keep up with Apple's innovation. Apple hires the best minds right out of college, leaving the second and third tier grads for manufacturers to fight over. They just can't keep up with the leader.
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:59 AM   #130
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn View Post
I'm a bit confused... by the time the 2012 iMacs are released, Haswell will only be a few months away?
Apple is known not put on the latest and greatest the moment it releases, unless they designed it themselves. So it will be a good six months before we can expect to see them using Haswell, if they do at all

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post

The most powerful corporation on the planet does not launch a new product line during the holidays with an expectation the supply chains will be choked off. Somebody screwed up.
Except that Cook said at the keynote that supplies would be limited at launch.

And with the numbers they have on sales trends, it is possible that holidays are the lowest sales for iMacs and thus the best time for a limit.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:00 AM   #131
bidwalj
macrumors 6502a

This is why the whole fall cycle for every ios product makes no sense. If everything you want to sell is in short supply for the important holiday season; you wont be selling as many products as you could have.
bidwalj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:05 AM   #132
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuencap View Post
Since when do macrumors articles about delays count as news? This entire article is a rumor...
It's not even a rumor, just fact with some BS tossed in.

Fact- Apple said from the start that the 21.5 inch models would be available in November, not Nov 1 but November
Fact - November 30 is in November
Fact - Tom Cook said at the keynote that supplies would be limited
Fact - Apple said the 27 inch would come in December

The BS is claims of issues as if this is something new much less true. It's possible that Apple is holding back on purpose to get a feel for which models are more popular. They don't want to guess wrong and have stores having to ship back in selling models or worse holding them for ages with less room for the models they can sell.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:05 AM   #133
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
You know you can design the greatest device in the world and have everyone drooling over it, but if you cannot deliver, time and time again, people will move on and realize the difference between wants and needs.

Apple is dropping the ball big time IMHO, the iPhone 5, iTunes 11, the iPad mini and now the iMac...
And the same folks are saying Apple is not innovative enough and not putting enough new technology into their product. Isn't the problem with these two product delay caused by supplier not able to fill their promise? Do you want old technology instead? 8-)
xofruitcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:08 AM   #134
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post
Currently, there is a 2 week wait for an iPad Mini, that doesn't seem bad.
Not if you go to the stores. Many of them are in stock to a day or two for the next shipment

And as these computers aren't on sale we can't really say what the wait time will be.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:15 AM   #135
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidwalj View Post
This is why the whole fall cycle for every ios product makes no sense. If everything you want to sell is in short supply for the important holiday season; you wont be selling as many products as you could have.
But if your product cycle started in Spring, all your technology is already 4-5 months behind. So you can produce in large volume but someone else hot new toys will take the sales prize. Nexus 7 was announced what 4-5 months ago? it is already old news. And I already saw an analysts estimate cutting Nexus 7 sales to 4M for 2012 from 5M before Ipad mini launch. And Asus said that Google sold 2.3M unit in 3Q. So they are moving the sales target from 2.7M in 4Q to 1.7M all because of Ipad mini competition. It is better to fight production problem than demand problem.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavi...ch-boosts-eps/

Quote:
Wilson this morning chopped his forecast for 2012 Nexus 7 tablet sales to 4 million units from 5 million. For 2013, he now sees Google selling 9.6 million Nexus devices – including both 7-inch and 10-inch models – down from a previous forecast of 14.6 million.

“We are bullish on Google, but still have not seen the device that makes us bullish on its Nexus hardware,” he writes. “We are lowering our Nexus revenue estimates, but raising our EPS estimates as margins should improve from less hardware in the mix.” Let me underline that point: Google actually loses money on the Nexus 7 hardware, so the fewer tablets it sells…the more money it makes. Ergo, Wilson trimmed his revenue estimates for both this year and next year, but inched up his EPS estimates.
xofruitcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:20 AM   #136
FuNGi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
Stop making sense here!
-snip-
PS:
You must be an experienced Apple consumer. While Apple has gotten better with their A productions (hence the delays) I agree that it is always better to wait for Rev. B., sometimes even Rev C. (Outwaited the iPad until #3)

Prices are usually the same, but they give you more memory or something and usually within 6 months.

Anybody who has ever produced anything new knows that despite the best planning , zero production test runs etc. it all changes when the chips are down and one needs to run large quantities for real.

Only then do all the problems show up.

People who think that any company wouldn't like to ship every piece they can make as fast as possible need to take a business 101 class!
Agreed. Like the retina MBP, I would wait until Rev B on this slender fella. Hell, I won't even buy a Rev B iMac either. I will wait until the gutted iMac (e.g. TBD) comes out and plug it into whatever refurb laptop I'm running then.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:41 AM   #137
GorgonPhone
macrumors 6502a

ummmm the ipad mini has the same lame screen and the same old chips that are in the old ipad 2..lol that is on the damn 3gs .. you mean tok tell me that apple is having trouble making that crap?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:47 AM   #138
HelveticaRoman
macrumors 6502

Not one of my clients has ever asked me how thin is my computer, they just want the work done on time.
HelveticaRoman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:57 AM   #139
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

Sucks mini is short supply. Don't they have three or four manufacturers for the screen?

And that iMac is LG only but hasn't this been the case for a while? Certainly that screen is similar to previous iMacs it's maybe the design they're slow at pumping out?
thadoggfather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:03 PM   #140
spcdust
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
Fact - Tom Cook said at the keynote that supplies would be limited
If you're going to write "Fact" I want to know who this Tom is

Also, and I may be wrong so I won't say "Fact", I do believe in fact that he didn't say at the Keynote about the supply constraints but rather at the Investors 4th Quarter Results Release. I could be wrong and wouldn't usually pull some one up on such a minor thing but you did rather emphatically use the word "Fact".
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:03 PM   #141
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Omg

Quote:
Additionally, the sources said new iMac models use panels sourced only from LGD. The company has had to develop a new production process for mass producing the iMac panels and has limited capacity, which is delaying shipments.

Can NOT wait to see the issues that pop up on these iMac screens. This is a recipe for disaster.

Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:04 PM   #142
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

It's funny non-retina devices are in short supply. Just an observation.

I really wish I knew who made my iPad 3 and mini screens. The nerd in me enjoys it, I used to pick all the parts I wanted in my PC tower back in the day. Same with monitor, etc. Though with portables it's more difficult to have your specifications. My first (mini) and this one are bright and pop. My second one was sort of paler in color, though less washed out (cant wait for color profiles) but a weird weird tint that buggered me. My iPad 3 is cherry picked amongst a lot of them because they are garbage (most of these 2048x1536 screens that make it into iPad 3/4. uneven multiple tint is just ewww) I heard a lot of iPad 4's have image retention issues like the 15" rMBP (and maybe 13"? haven't been following, have the air).

Are LG iMac displays that problematic relative to other manufacturers?

-mini owner
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:27 PM   #143
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

DigiTimes reports that shipments of both the iPad mini and iMac are expected to be constrained throughout 2012. In both cases, display production appears to be the limiting factor.

For the iPad mini, the panels have reportedly seen low yield rates, especially from one of Apple's suppliers. As a result, Apple may only reach 6 million of an estimated 10 million target for iPad mini shipments in the fourth quarter of 2012.

Meanwhile, the newly announced iMacs will also see constrained supplies due to issues with iMac panels from LGD.Yields of both products aren't expected to reach target goals until the first quarter of 2013.

Apple just announced that the new iMac would go on sale on Friday, November 30th, but the 27" model wouldn't start shipping until December.

Article Link: New iMac and iPad mini to be in Short Supply Until 2013
Not a very well run company it seems these days. And more firings over the maps disaster has to be hurting employee moral
winston1236 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:27 PM   #144
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombierunner View Post
This is really Appalling. You have to pay through your nose and wait for ages to get hold of a product with inferior and outdated internals.
Welcome to the world of Sony.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:31 PM   #145
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603

I wonder if they used Samsung for the displays if the supply would be better?
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:32 PM   #146
Thunderbird
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
Welcome to the world of Sony.
What a coincidence then, one of the companies Steve Jobs admired most was Sony.
Thunderbird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:38 PM   #147
hammonda1
macrumors newbie

LG Panel is Absolutely Superb in iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsolares View Post
For all blaming Samsung vs Apple as the culprit behind this, you should remember that no 27" panel has ever come from Samsung, they've all been LG. samsung has just now begun producing 27" panels but they're PLS and not IPS
Yes and IMHO that LG panel is absolutely superb and not at all inferior to Samsung.
hammonda1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:55 PM   #148
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

I thought they were all LG (the iMacs)

At least you can't blame it on manufacturer bias from unit-to-unit comparisons.

They also put them in Korean 3rd party panels like Achieva Shimian.

I'd totally snatch up a QH270-Lite on eBay with squaretrade for my MBA if I didn't get a ZR24W last year that I still love quite enough.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:58 PM   #149
Vorst
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorgonPhone View Post
ummmm the ipad mini has the same lame screen and the same old chips that are in the old ipad 2..lol that is on the damn 3gs .. you mean tok tell me that apple is having trouble making that crap?
NO it is not. The A5 chip is 55% of the size of the one in the old iPad 2. It is using the new 32nm cpu technology, consumes less power and less heat.
LCD panel is extra tin and new design, ultra tin battery. Basically Apple had to design a Mini with half the volume of the old iPad 2, half wait, with better specs like better camera, same battery live etc. Not an easy job I would say.
Vorst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:09 PM   #150
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorst View Post
half wait
32nm is just as fast as 45nm.

...just kidding I know you meant "weight"

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion