Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NextGenApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
What is the benifit of getting a fusion drive late 2012 iMac versus me getting an SSDinstalled on my current mid 2011 iMac. I do a lot of video work and don't really want to splash out on the new iMac just to get fusion drive if I can achieve the same effect with an SSD on the 2011 imac.

I know Fusion manages what goes on it due to what you use frequently. What other MAJOR differences are there and which one is the best option for my current situation.

Also if I got an Apple certified repair guy to install the SSD would that void warranty!?! To be fair I don't even want the iMac to be opened up.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
If you don't necessary need the new upgrades and features in the new iMac than you should just upgrade the HD yourself. Opening the machine will not void your warranty. It is only if you damage it in the process of attempting to upgrade. The only thing you should do when sending it in for Apple repairs or diagnostic tests is to replace it back.

NextGenApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
If you don't necessary need the new upgrades and features in the new iMac than you should just upgrade the HD yourself. Opening the machine will not void your warranty. It is only if you damage it in the process of attempting to upgrade. The only thing you should do when sending it in for Apple repairs or diagnostic tests is to replace it back.

Cheers.

Anyone else can add anything?!

Last edited:

NextGenApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Seems know one has any reasonable answers for me. Glad I don't rely on a forum for decisions. I'll pick up a 2nd gen version when these are released next year.
As I don't really want hands in the iMac plus ill get a few more months out of my 2011 imac bought in Feb 2012. I'll cut my loses on this get a maxed out 2013 iMac and keep that we'll after AppleCare.

Thank you mr above for your participation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.