Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:26 AM   #1
Macaroooon
macrumors 6502

Question about getting a replacement phone UK

Oops I posted this as a reply rather than a new thread.

I'm hoping to get my iPhone 5 replaced, however my friend has told me if I go into the store (UK) they will give me a refurbished phone rather than a brand new one, but if I send it off I'll get a brand new one.

Is this true?
Macaroooon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:10 AM   #2
iphonehype
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroooon View Post
Oops I posted this as a reply rather than a new thread.

I'm hoping to get my iPhone 5 replaced, however my friend has told me if I go into the store (UK) they will give me a refurbished phone rather than a brand new one, but if I send it off I'll get a brand new one.

Is this true?
Its too early for refurbished iPhone 5's yet from what I have read on this forum.

Even if you do get a refurbished iPhone you will not be able to tell the different between a new and refurbished. Its practically new, has a new case, screen etc, etc.
iphonehype is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:51 AM   #3
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonehype View Post
Its too early for refurbished iPhone 5's yet from what I have read on this forum.

Even if you do get a refurbished iPhone you will not be able to tell the different between a new and refurbished. Its practically new, has a new case, screen etc, etc.
You're not quite right I think. It's "late" enough in the product's life so that refurbs are floating around, but majority of them are still new devices.

You will not be able to tell the difference between a refurbished and new apple product.
XboxMySocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Macaroooon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post
You're not quite right I think. It's "late" enough in the product's life so that refurbs are floating around, but majority of them are still new devices.

You will not be able to tell the difference between a refurbished and new apple product.
So what is refurbished then? Are there *any* disadvantages to them?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:39 AM   #5
cambookpro
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Outside is completely new, only internals have been 'used'. If an internal had gone wrong, it would be repaired and tested.

It's a win win, Apple get to use the broken phones and we get cheap/free replacements.
cambookpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Macaroooon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambookpro View Post
Outside is completely new, only internals have been 'used'. If an internal had gone wrong, it would be repaired and tested.

It's a win win, Apple get to use the broken phones and we get cheap/free replacements.
Hmm. I suppose I shouldn't turn my nose up at it - only when I'm paying 700 for a phone (intending to keep it for about 4 years) then I expect it to work, and expect a new phone if it doesn't. I might sound a bit.. picky but that's what I'd expect.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:02 AM   #7
cambookpro
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Hmm. I suppose I shouldn't turn my nose up at it - only when I'm paying 700 for a phone (intending to keep it for about 4 years) then I expect it to work, and expect a new phone if it doesn't. I might sound a bit.. picky but that's what I'd expect.
Essentially though, it is new isn't it? Brand new exterior, fully tested internals. In some ways, it's better than new as most components are confirmed working.
cambookpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:09 AM   #8
bradkb
macrumors member

I have had mine replaced in the UK by Apple direct, it involved a courier swap. The replacement came in a slim white box with no accessories except for the sim slot key.

It was exactly as new, plastic covers front and back and setup as a new phone, you cannot tell the difference. Looking on line the one that got sent back was from week 39 production and the replacement was from week 37.

You really cannot know if it is refurb or new, I suspect this one is a refurb because of the week of production.
bradkb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:34 AM   #9
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
They HAVE been used. But the outer casing and any previously defective parts (if any) have been replaced. So no not really
XboxMySocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:26 AM   #10
iphonehype
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post

Apples not meeting the demand so I highly doubt there's refurbs floating around just yet.
iphonehype is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone