Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idutch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Because the SSD option on a 27' mac is a ridiculous $1300 i'm considering a Fusion drive.
I know a Fusion drive puts the stuff you use the most on the 128gb SSD part, But what if you need data from the other half? how fast is the other half?
Is is at fast as a normal 7200-rpm hard drive? or maybe even slower?

In that case i rather have a consistent speed.

I'm also afraid if you use a lot of different files and the Fusion drive is always busy swapping data from the SSD part to the normal part the benefits of the Fusion drive quicky become disadvantages.

Last edited:

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Difficult to say without knowing their caching algorithm. My guess is that accessing a file from the hard disk instead of the SSD would be regular hard disk speed. I suspect a file would have to be accessed a number of times before it was moved onto the SSD and that process would be at an idle moment in the background.

Not sure why consistent access is more important to you than some fast, some not so fast.

idutch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Not sure why consistent access is more important to you than some fast, some not so fast.

I mainly gonna use my mac for producing music, and i got a lot more then 128 gb of samples,presets ect. and always use dirfrent ones and i'm constantly searching thru and prelistening te files.

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
I mainly gonna use my mac for producing music, and i got a lot more then 128 gb of samples,presets ect. and always use dirfrent ones and i'm constantly searching thru and prelistening te files.

what kind of machine did you have before when you were doing this?

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
Yep, Apple should have given us a 256gb or 512gb SSD option.
If you use many big samples, get plenty of ram, that should help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.