Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:41 AM   #1
chubbles
macrumors newbie

Question User account

I'm trying to set up my mountain lion Mac Mini with one administrator and one user account. This is my first try with accounts. Should all the files in the administrator account be non-sharing files in system preferences under file sharing? Should I do all my future work in the user account, Including downloading programs? Do I need to be in the administrator account when receiving updates from Apple? What should be my iCloud settings under system preferences for My admin account and user account, and should the settings be identical or can they differ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tkanks,
Chubbles
chubbles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:43 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbles View Post
I'm trying to set up my mountain lion Mac Mini with one administrator and one user account. This is my first try with accounts. Should all the files in the administrator account be non-sharing files in system preferences under file sharing? Should I do all my future work in the user account, Including downloading programs? Do I need to be in the administrator account when receiving updates from Apple? What should be my iCloud settings under system preferences for My admin account and user account, and should the settings be identical or can they differ?
The default account on a Mac is an administrator account. There is no need to create another account unless you're sharing the Mac with another user. Just use the admin account for everything.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbles View Post

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tkanks,
Chubbles
To answer your questions, if you prefer to run as a user account, just setup the admin account and do nothing else there. Don't setup iCloud or anything else in that account. Just activate it, then add your user account, and go over to the user account to setup iCloud and everything else.

You can get updates in the user account, but some will ask you to enter the admin user name and password.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:14 PM   #4
chubbles
macrumors newbie

Smile

Hey,
thanks for the help men!!
chubbles is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion