Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 17, 2005, 05:31 AM   #1
chancellor
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to chancellor Send a message via AIM to chancellor Send a message via Yahoo to chancellor
Powerbook Memory No Longer Recognized

My 1.5 year old Powerbook has two memory so-dimms (each 512 MB). Recently, the lower slot's memory stopped being recognized. I tried reseating the so-dimm and it fixed the problem briefly, but soon stopped recognizing that so-dimm again.

I then tried swapping the two so-dimms, and while that fixed the problem briefly, eventually the _same_ slot's memory wouldn't be recognized.

It's clear that the memory itself is not the problem. Is there anything that can be done to fix this, or am I looking at a bad motherboard?

Also, since I don't have AppleCare, what's the best way to deal with Apple Support (i.e. can I just pay for the repair without paying for a tech support incident file)?

Thanks for your help!
chancellor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:08 AM   #2
wdlove
macrumors 604

You should give Apple a call and see what they say. Maybe they would just allow you to send it in to them. You could also try a local reseller.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs