Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
My brother's battery stopped any charging after about 9 months of use. Last week he went to the Genius Bar and they looked at it and told him it was as defective battery. They said they couldn't replace it there, they were too busy, so they had to send it out. They covered it under warranty, but the price was $100 labor charge, and $180 flat rate repair charge. I thought the battery charge was $129 for an Air replacement. Kinda worries me when it comes to battery replacement. Anyone know different?

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
My brother's battery stopped any charging after about 9 months of use. Last week he went to the Genius Bar and they looked at it and told him it was as defective battery. They said they couldn't replace it there, they were too busy, so they had to send it out. They covered it under warranty, but the price was $100 labor charge, and $180 flat rate repair charge. I thought the battery charge was $129 for an Air replacement. Kinda worries me when it comes to battery replacement. Anyone know different?

If it was free, why does it matter. The prices given for battery replacements outside of warranty may differ from ones in warranty. I also suspect they can tack on additional charges which Apple covers and is given to the technicians at that store. I wouldn't worry though.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
If it was free, why does it matter. The prices given for battery replacements outside of warranty may differ from ones in warranty. I also suspect they can tack on additional charges which Apple covers and is given to the technicians at that store. I wouldn't worry though.

It will matter if I have to have mine replaced after the next year. I was under the impression that the cost to replace the batter was $129. I would be very upset to have to pay that price of $280, but it could be because of warranty prices, like you said.

If anyone has had one replaced out of warranty, please chime in.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It will matter if I have to have mine replaced after the next year. I was under the impression that the cost to replace the batter was $129. I would be very upset to have to pay that price of $280, but it could be because of warranty prices, like you said.

If anyone has had one replaced out of warranty, please chime in.
The price for battery replacement at owner expense in the U.S. is $129 plus tax, as specified in the following link. The user's cost for replacement covered by warranty or AppleCare is zero, regardless of Apple's cost.

Replacing the Battery in your MacBook Air

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

GP20

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
What happens when they ship your MBA out for repair? Does Apple loan you a computer to use during this time or is it on you to find another computer to use?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What happens when they ship your MBA out for repair? Does Apple loan you a computer to use during this time or is it on you to find another computer to use?
No, they don't loan you a computer. You can take your MBA to a local Apple store to have the battery replaced. Depending on inventory availability this may be replaced the same day.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
No, they don't loan you a computer. You can take your MBA to a local Apple store to have the battery replaced. Depending on inventory availability this may be replaced the same day.

If they ship it out, you get it back in just 3 or 4 days, but hopefully they could replace it in store, 'if they are not too busy'. That's what happened to my brother, they had stock, just not enough man power to do the job I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.