Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:59 PM   #1
Demigod Mac
macrumors 6502

Trying to get WakeOnLan to work over the internet

Trying to get WakeOnLan ( www.readpixel.com/wakeonlan/ ) to work over the internet, so I can remote wake my Mac Pro from sleep with my Macbook Pro, connect to it via Chicken (VNC) and then put it back to sleep when I'm done.

Thus far I've been able to get everything working locally on the LAN. Chicken works, WakeOnLAN works.

If I try it remotely over the internet however, the Mac doesn't wake up. Chicken works over the internet if my Mac is already awake.

Router is a Linksys E1000. I set my router's subnet mask on 255.255.255.128. I set up my router's port forwarding to 192.168.1.127 (listening port) on ports 7 and 9 for wakeup. Router's firewall is disabled. Is there something I'm missing here?

Last edited by Demigod Mac; Nov 26, 2012 at 11:33 PM.
Demigod Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:49 PM   #2
Demigod Mac
macrumors 6502

It's looking like the reason it doesn't work is that Linksys disabled the broadcast address forwarding feature in recent firmware... Means I might have to go with DD-WRT for this to work!

If anyone has other suggestions I'm all ears.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:55 PM   #3
DJLC
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to DJLC Send a message via MSN to DJLC Send a message via Yahoo to DJLC Send a message via Skype™ to DJLC
Not sure what the issue could be off-hand, but I'd say give DD-WRT a shot anyway. Linksys firmware has been pretty crappy as of late.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:48 AM   #4
motorboating
macrumors newbie

Wake On LAN is local ethernet only. It doesn't work over the internet.
motorboating is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:33 AM   #5
DJLC
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to DJLC Send a message via MSN to DJLC Send a message via Yahoo to DJLC Send a message via Skype™ to DJLC
Now that I think about it...

You can do WoL from the DD-WRT interface. Your remote workflow would be something like...

1) Login to your home router via Safari, use that to wake your Mac.
2) Connect via VNC, put it back to sleep via Apple > Sleep when you're done. Or just wait for automatic sleep to kick in.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:21 PM   #6
Demigod Mac
macrumors 6502

I got it working. DD-WRT and some heavy duty configuration required.

If anyone's interested I could try retracing all my steps and post them here.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking