Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:11 PM   #1
BlueMoonForever
macrumors regular

Exclamation iTunes unlocked my iPhone 5?

So I restored my iPhone 5 with iTunes today and it unlocked it? I did purchase it directly from Apple with no contract. My question is, can one who is under contract with AT&T unlock theirs the same way?

Hope its permanent?

Thumb resize.

Last edited by OllyW; Nov 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM. Reason: changed tags on oversized image from IMG to TIMG
BlueMoonForever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:12 PM   #2
albertxp06
macrumors regular

When no contract phones are activated, they are almost always unlocked.

Under contract phones won't be unlocked by AT&T unless the requirements have been met (ETF paid or they've fulfilled the two years).
albertxp06 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:13 PM   #3
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

Your phone was unlocked when you bought it. When you restored it iTunes checks with homebase to see if that phone is locked and unlocks it if it isn't.

People with AT&T iPhones cannot unlock theirs until they are out of contract or contact AT&T and request to be unlocked for international travel.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:15 PM   #4
BlueMoonForever
macrumors regular

No. The phone came with an AT&T nano sim in it. It said AT&T on the receipt. They said they didn't have any unlocked iPhones and they were all locked to AT&T.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:24 PM   #5
green tea
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLuffJimmy View Post
Your phone was unlocked when you bought it. When you restored it iTunes checks with homebase to see if that phone is locked and unlocks it if it isn't.

People with AT&T iPhones cannot unlock theirs until they are out of contract or contact AT&T and request to be unlocked for international travel.
or if they pay a small $15-25 service fee from people on ebay/etc to get an unlock code
green tea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:27 PM   #6
BlueMoonForever
macrumors regular

I guess the only true way to tell is pop in a T-Mobile sim card. Only problem is I have no way of getting a T-Mobile nano sim, as I'm with AT&T. ):
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:27 PM   #7
boshii
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoonForever View Post
No. The phone came with an AT&T nano sim in it. It said AT&T on the receipt. They said they didn't have any unlocked iPhones and they were all locked to AT&T.
You bought it off contract though. Off-contract phones can be unlocked by AT&T.
boshii is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:30 PM   #8
BlueMoonForever
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshii View Post
You bought it off contract though. Off-contract phones can be unlocked by AT&T.
Yeah, but I didn't call them or anything. It just unlocked on its own via iTunes. So what I'm asking is if my friend's AT&T iPhone 5 can be unlocked the same way. He upgraded to get the 5 so will iTunes know?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:32 PM   #9
xlost6
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yeah, but I didn't call them or anything. It just unlocked on its own via iTunes. So what I'm asking is if my friend's AT&T iPhone 5 can be unlocked the same way. He upgraded to get the 5 so will iTunes know?
Since he upgraded using AT&T subsidized pricing, his AT&T iPhone 5 isn't unlocked. It's only unlocked if you bought it off contract, full price.
xlost6 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:40 PM   #10
boshii
macrumors 68040

Quote:
If his is off-contract it can be unlocked. A restore isn't going to magically unlock your phone if it's on-contract.
boshii is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:41 PM   #11
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
No, your friends is under contract.
Yours is not. That's why yours is unlocked because you paid full price for it without a 2 year agreement.
Your friend is locked to AT&T and he can request an unlock from AT&T once his contract expires or if he cancels the contract and pays the ETF.
Or if he buys an IMEI unlock for his iphone on ebay

Last edited by Applejuiced; Nov 30, 2012 at 11:04 PM.
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:23 AM   #12
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
I did purchase it directly from Apple with no contract.
As stated multiple times already in this thread this is why it's unlocked.

Quote:
My question is, can one who is under contract with AT&T unlock theirs the same way?
Sure. They can buy an unsubsidized and unlocked one as well.

Quote:
The phone came with an AT&T nano sim in it.
That really doesn't mean anything with regard to the subsidy lock.

Quote:
So what I'm asking is if my friend's AT&T iPhone 5 can be unlocked the same way.
"The same way" would entail buying the 5 unsubsidized.

Last edited by takeshi74; Nov 30, 2012 at 08:29 AM.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:59 AM   #13
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Quote:
So I restored my iPhone 5 with iTunes today and it unlocked it? I did purchase it directly from Apple with no contract. My question is, can one who is under contract with AT&T unlock theirs the same way?

Hope its permanent?

You bought yours without contract so it's unlocked. The other person under contract won't just get an unlock by restoring.
Jordan921 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:17 AM   #14
bimmerboii
macrumors member

Just to clarify, if i buy an AT&T iphone5 from the Apple Store at full price/no contract, it will be unlocked?

Can i just pop in my own sim straight out of the box or do i need to do a restore first like the OP did since it is an AT&T iphone 5?

But why is Apple (in the US) about to sell factory unlocked phones? Isnt that just gona confuse people?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:55 AM   #15
Coleman2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboii View Post
Just to clarify, if i buy an AT&T iphone5 from the Apple Store at full price/no contract, it will be unlocked?

Can i just pop in my own sim straight out of the box or do i need to do a restore first like the OP did since it is an AT&T iphone 5?

But why is Apple (in the US) about to sell factory unlocked phones? Isnt that just gona confuse people?
Walk into the Apple Store and ask to buy a device only, no contract iPhone 5. It will be unlocked and you can use it with T-Mobile or any GSM carrier.
Coleman2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone