Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:59 PM   #1
johndallas999
Banned

Saw a mini for the first time and ....

I couldn't believe how sub-par the display is. I love the size and weight but that is a total oversight to not put a retina on it. Very poor display by a company that touts Retina everything.
johndallas999 is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:00 PM   #2
nfl46
macrumors 601

After a while, your eyes get back used to it (coming from a retina iPad, that is). Its not that bad.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:02 PM   #3
AndroidBlows
macrumors member

The mini is a total fail. Unbelievable. Epic sadness - no retina.
AndroidBlows is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:04 PM   #4
maverick22
macrumors regular

I do not own one, but from what I saw at Best Buy, I did not think the display was bad at all. Maybe my eyes are so bad they can't tell much of a difference between this and retina though haha.
maverick22 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:17 PM   #5
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
I love my mini, I think that Apple is saving it for next year's iPad mini release.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:19 PM   #6
nStyle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
I do not own one, but from what I saw at Best Buy, I did not think the display was bad at all. Maybe my eyes are so bad they can't tell much of a difference between this and retina though haha.
It looks good in a store for a reason - everything looks better in store. Not to say the display is as bad as OP is making it out to be, but it is definitely a step backward in display quality. In terms of portability and design? Top notch. I guess you just have to weigh the pros and cons.
nStyle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:48 PM   #7
jester0723
macrumors regular

Everyone is freaking out about how it's not retina and it burns their eyes. Jesus, it's not like its black and white. It's just as good as my Macbook Pro - which isn't "retina", but honestly it's not a big deal.

I love my Mini. It's much better for me than the iPad 2. Retina seems like it would be nice, but it's just not a big deal. I've not had anyone complain about the screen quality when they played with it. I think it's great.

The screen quality is fine. If you're on the fence about buying the Mini because people are bitching about the screen, I'd just suggest that it's not nearly as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Personally, I'm much more concerned with the older processor. But for now, it fits my needs better than a normal size iPad.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:50 PM   #8
Frankied22
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester0723 View Post
Everyone is freaking out about how it's not retina and it burns their eyes. Jesus, it's not like its black and white. It's just as good as my Macbook Pro - which isn't "retina", but honestly it's not a big deal.

I love my Mini. It's much better for me than the iPad 2. Retina seems like it would be nice, but it's just not a big deal. I've not had anyone complain about the screen quality when they played with it. I think it's great.

The screen quality is fine. If you're on the fence about buying the Mini because people are bitching about the screen, I'd just suggest that it's not nearly as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Personally, I'm much more concerned with the older processor. But for now, it fits my needs better than a normal size iPad.
And the low amount of RAM really sucks. Apps and Safari tabs constantly reloading.
Frankied22 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:45 PM   #9
Willyb26
macrumors member

...and this is the reason I got an ipad 4 over the mini. One look at that screen and instant disappointment. Maybe I will go for the retina mini next year though.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester0723 View Post

Only problem is once you get a good look at that retina display, there's really no hesitation. You gotta have it and have it now! Hehe
Willyb26 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:45 PM   #10
kodeman53
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallas999 View Post
I couldn't believe how sub-par the display is. I love the size and weight but that is a total oversight to not put a retina on it. Very poor display by a company that touts Retina everything.
Wow, a new topic.
kodeman53 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:47 PM   #11
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

You are aware how battery-hungry retina displays are, right?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:53 PM   #12
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaluproar View Post
You are aware how battery-hungry retina displays are, right?
im sure many would sacrifice some battery life for better screen. i too am not owning the mini and i get to have a look at it in nearby shop. The screen is a let down but i am more disappointed by the feel of it. It just seems too delicate and light. I much prefer it to be a little heavier or maybe because im coming form original ipad feels.

i seriously found ipod touch 4 to have a better durability feel to it.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:53 PM   #13
MrXiro
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallas999 View Post
Non-retina is fine... the PPI on your TV is MUCH worse.

Things not Retina:
11 inch MBA
13 inch MBA
13 inch MBP
15 inch MBP
17 inch MBP (do they still make this one?)
21.5 inch iMac
27 inch iMac
Mac Mini - Can't buy a Retina Monitor for it.
iPad 2
iPad Mini
AppleTV (you use it on your TV which is not Retina)

Retina Devices:
iPad 4
15 inch MBP
13 inch MBP
iPod Touch 4
iPod Touch 5
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5

I count more non-retina devices than Retina still...

Last edited by MrXiro; Nov 28, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
MrXiro is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:56 PM   #14
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXiro View Post
Non-retina is fine... the PPI on your TV is MUCH worse.
Agreed. Maybe it's because I currently use an ipad 2, or use a 37 inch tv as a monitor for my mac mini, or it could be that I would much rather have 10 hours of battery life than a retina screen, or maybe, just maybe, I'm willing to give apple credit on a good first draft.

I actually love the mini and am a bit envious. My only problem with the ipad is the heft.