Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:57 PM   #1
rdubya5
macrumors newbie

Home Videos in Apple TV 5.1.1 and iTunes 11

So I noticed that the new iTunes 11 has a section for home Videos. I have previously added my home videos to the TV section so they will display on my Apple TV. So I added a few to the new section in iTunes 11 and was hoping to see a section in the computers app named home videos but didn't see anything.

Is anyone seeing videos under the home videos section in iTunes showing on their Apple TV?
rdubya5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:07 AM   #2
peeaanuut
Banned

Send a message via AIM to peeaanuut
they are showing in my movies section on the appletv.
peeaanuut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:35 AM   #3
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdubya5 View Post
So I noticed that the new iTunes 11 has a section for home Videos. I have previously added my home videos to the TV section so they will display on my Apple TV. So I added a few to the new section in iTunes 11 and was hoping to see a section in the computers app named home videos but didn't see anything.

Is anyone seeing videos under the home videos section in iTunes showing on their Apple TV?
Yep...no special Home Movie section for the aTV. You have to go to Genre: Home Movies to isolate them. I am disappointed they did not make the aTV correlate more closely with iTunes 11.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:45 AM   #4
aquaboy
macrumors regular

iPhoto's is where I Store my home movies, as photos n home movies should sit side by side and I play them via the photo section on atv.
aquaboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:25 PM   #5
Glassed Silver
macrumors 6502

Own content storage is a mess.

I think there should be ONE CENTRAL PLACE (or the option to handle it that way) for all media you create.

Then, all project files, edits etc done to your media should be stored in there as well.

I like how iPhoto and Aperture can share libraries, so you already have a kind of centralized approach for photos here, however, movies are a mess, you now have home videos in iTunes, iPhoto/Aperture and maybe some projects in Final Cut or iMovie.

To make things worse, you might have a nicely edited movie you'd like to sync via iTunes, but unless you actually create another big big storage hog an exported movie is and add it to say Aperture, there's no way to both sync your photos and say a couple of edited videos.

meh

Anyhow, I plan to use the home movies section for now for stuff I get from friends, so iTunes is constantly the place of all things coming TO me and not from me.
(Apart from photos people send me... Where do I put those logically? Aperture I actually tried to keep 100% to my photography and videos and I wanted to use iPhoto for that originally, too bad you cannot synch two programs with iPhone. Oh Jesus...)

Glassed Silver:mac
Last login: Sat May 5 22:52:51 on ttys000
Society-System:~ dumbnut$ rm -rf ~/Library/mind.db ~/Library/Frameworks/tolerance
~/Library/Frameworks/commonsense ~/integrity ~/individuality
Glassed Silver is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:05 AM   #6
timskliu
macrumors newbie

Home Videos is a new Media Kind

I just figured out that Home Video is a new option under Media Kind (e.g., Music Video, Movie, TV Show, Podcast, etc.).

First select the movie, File, Get Info, and then click on the Options tab.

The movie will then show up under the "Home Videos" tab in iTunes 11.

It's a cool way to keep regular movies separate from your home videos. I haven't tested to see where the home videos sync on an iOS device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HomeVideo iTunes 11.PNG
Views:	16
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	382068  
timskliu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:25 PM   #7
bearcatrp
macrumors 65816

I had to add them again so they would show up, When doing this, itunes moved the complete folder to the home movies. Itunes wouldn't let me move itunes downloaded movies when I tried it. Seems apple likes to mess with us to get the movies from apple instead of us ripping them. I won't be downloading digital copies anymore with apple playing around like this. I didn't think there was anything wrong with the previous version way of holding the movies.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater