Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:16 PM   #1
jmanley1
macrumors member

Chris Pirillo's iPhone 5 screen cracked; Apple replaced it free of charge...?

Big fan of the Lockergnome YouTube Channel. Chris is a good reviewer and an entertaining presenter with all things tech.

Yesterday he posted this Vlog.

He dropped his iPhone 5 and the front screen cracked. He took it in to the Apple store and they replaced it free of charge. Is this common practice for Apple to do this with a phone that is still in the 1st year, under warranty.

Keep in mind Chris has no AppleCare+ or insurance (not that the latter would have mattered at the Apple Store).
jmanley1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:21 PM   #2
andyx3x
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanley1 View Post
Big fan of the Lockergnome YouTube Channel. Chris is a good reviewer and an entertaining presenter with all things tech.

Yesterday he posted this Vlog.

He dropped his iPhone 5 and the front screen cracked. He took it in to the Apple store and they replaced it free of charge. Is this common practice for Apple to do this with a phone that is still in the 1st year, under warranty.

Keep in mind Chris has no AppleCare+ or insurance (not that the latter would have mattered at the Apple Store).
No it's not common practice. Most people would have to pay the $229 replacement fee. I'm not sure why he got it waived. It may have to do with who he is.

Last edited by andyx3x; Nov 28, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
andyx3x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:32 PM   #3
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

Nice. Now when I go to replace my iPhone and they argue that I have to pay, I can just show them this video.
duneriderltr450 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:34 PM   #4
jmanley1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyx3x View Post
I'm not sure why he got it waived. It may have to do with who he is.
That's the only thing I can figure.
jmanley1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:39 PM   #5
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanley1 View Post
Have to disagree with you there. I watched Chris's videos pretty regularly up until three or so years ago. I finally had to stop because he spent more time drinking wine, yelling, and going off on rabbit trails than actually giving a solid review. Thank God there are plenty of good alternatives to him.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:52 PM   #6
utahusker
macrumors member

I had the same experience getting my wife's screen replaced on her iphone3 a couple of years ago. I bought a screen replacement to install myself, and I failed miserably. I then bought another one and failed again.

I finally gave in and was prepared to pay the fee to have the Apple store replace it. We made an appointment and they took it in the back and repaired it for free! So they will do repairs for free depending on their mood. By the way, it was out of regular warranty but we had Apple Care.
utahusker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:54 PM   #7
daneoni
macrumors G4

Depends on the store/staff you come across. Also helps if you have clout as it were...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:42 PM   #8
Androidfan1x
macrumors regular

usually when you bring your sad face to their store and politely sadly patiently consistently honestly tell (not beg) them what happened they will repair it for free
Androidfan1x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:55 PM   #9
bmwman3241
macrumors regular

I have had multiple iDevices replaced by my Apple store for free. I just be honest and calm and they always come thru. Even had liquid damage fixed on my Macbook Pro for free once.
bmwman3241 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:03 PM   #10
MisterDisney
macrumors 6502a

My first 4S slipped out of my hand as I was getting into my car. It hit the cement and cracked. Went to the Apple Store, prepared to pay $200 and instead, the genius said she could replace it for free as a "hairline" crack.
MisterDisney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:21 AM   #11
hyteckit

Depends on the Genuis you get.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone