Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:29 PM   #1
desertman
macrumors 6502

How to sync contacts from Mac with OS X 10.6.8 via iTunes to iPhone 5?

A friend of mine has an Intel iMac "Late 2006" with OS X 10.6.8 and iTunes 10.7 and an iPhone 5 with iOS 6.01. According to Apple's iPhone specs it should be possible to sync from this Mac to this iPhone via iTunes. It does work with apps and music but it does not work with contacts. The contacts are stored on the Mac in the default 10.6.8 "Addressbook" application. The iPad is connected to the iMac with a cable. Automatic syncing has been disabled in iTunes.

In iTunes (Devices - iPad - Info) "Sync Contacts" is checked and after clicking onto "Apply" a sync is set in motion but when it has finished no contacts are in "Contacts" on the iPhone. We tried this with and without having in iTunes under Advanced the option "Replace information on this iPhone: Contacts" checked. The result is always the same - no contacts on the iPhone.

Does anybody have any idea what is going wrong here and what needs to be done to get the contacts synced?

Thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Junkman
macrumors newbie

Me too ...

Hi, did you get an answer for this?
Junkman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 02:43 AM   #3
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman View Post
According to Apple's iPhone specs it should be possible to sync from this Mac to this iPhone via iTunes.
Better provide a link so we can see those specs.

My experience with Apple, they kind of want you to keep updating to the latest stuff. Unlike Windows, which many Apps still work with XP, a over 10 years old OS.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 07:12 AM   #4
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68000

You can sync the contacts on your iPhone and the Mac on 10.6.8 with either a Yahoo or Google account...no bothering with connected-iTunes syncing.
BrianBaughn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 08:44 AM   #5
desertman
macrumors 6502

I started this thread more than one year ago. It is kind of obsolete now, at least for me. I don't remember exactly what we did to solve this - it was probably either updating to OS X 10.7 or going the Google route.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Better provide a link so we can see those specs.
Since iCloud works only with OS X 10.7 and up you have to use iTunes for any kind of synchronizing with OS X 10.6, and the details are described here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1386.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman View Post
I started this thread more than one year ago. It is kind of obsolete now
Hopefully Mr. Junkman got something out of this.

Google Contacts, giving Google more data, and data of my acquaintances? Call me paranoid, not if I can help it.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting