Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I believe I saw numerous ads and posts saying that Lightning was supposed to be reversible, but I notice that with my new iPad 4, it only works when it's plugged in one way, while it doesn't work the other way around. Is there a defect somewhere, be it my iPad or my Lightning cable?

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
I believe I saw numerous ads and posts saying that Lightning was supposed to be reversible, but I notice that with my new iPad 4, it only works when it's plugged in one way, while it doesn't work the other way around. Is there a defect somewhere, be it my iPad or my Lightning cable?

Yes it's reversible, either your ipad port isn't connecting correctly or the contacts on the cable are messed up...just my .02

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
It is suppose to work both ways - either your cable or ipad is defective - or you are not plugging it in all the way.

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
There does seem to be some minor issues with cords. We had to exchange one of the cords from one of the three minis we purchased, and I have read maybe four other stories here in the recent weeks, with similar troubles.

Ours wouldn't charge or communicate at all. Apple replaced it promptly.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Thank you for the replies so far. I tried plugging in again both ways and now it works. Talk about having a mind of its own...and I say this well aware that the cables have some kind of chip in them.

jwilson25

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2009
I have a similar problem with my SD reader I received today. It only works in one direction. I figure not too big of a deal since I don't use it everyday or anything. My normal cords seems to be reversible.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I have a similar problem with my SD reader I received today. It only works in one direction. I figure not too big of a deal since I don't use it everyday or anything. My normal cords seems to be reversible.

Try plugging it in a bit harder the next time you do. I think that did the trick with my Lightning cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.