iTunes 11 to Launch as Soon as Thursday? - Page 6 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:17 AM   #126
locust76
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
iTunes 11 to Launch as Soon as Thursday?
As soon as? It's been delayed an entire month, is "due" out this month, and we only have two days left!
locust76 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:20 AM   #127
Darth.Titan
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
Wrong.

It was *NEVER* designed for iPods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoundJam_MP
That's like linking to a Wikipedia page on Macintosh System 6 and saying the Mac was *NEVER* designed for color graphics.

iTunes has been all about iPods since their release.
Darth.Titan is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:22 AM   #128
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

So I quickly read page 1,4 and 5 of this thread but didn't see anything mentioned about PowerPC compatibility.

Sorry if I missed any posts mentioning it but it makes sense if the new iTunes doesn't support PPC but:

I know many people using an old G4 PowerBook, with external hard drives, to serve as their iTunes music and video to their AppleTv.

How will the current AppleTV work, if it also gets a software upgrade?

Hopefully newer Macs get direct streaming like airdrop?

What about AppleScript which Apple has been depreciating over the years, bc I use it often in iTunes.
spacepower7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:22 AM   #129
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMcLovin View Post
APple is really pushing the limits when it comes to promises, releasedates and delays these days. Would be good for their reputation if actually one release was a bit ahead of time for once.
Like 4th gen iPad?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:24 AM   #130
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulge View Post
My iTunes library was around 3 TB last time i checked and about half of it is music. iTunes works fine here.
Do you have a big CD collection? Or do you keep AIF versions of your CDs? Or did you just pirate the entire Pirate Bay? 1.5TB of music is enormous!

----------

Quote:
Wrong.

It was *NEVER* designed for iPods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoundJam_MP
It was designed for iPods in version 2 and up, so you could say that it was not ORIGINALLY designed for iPods.
faroZ06 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:25 AM   #131
efktd
macrumors regular

would this explain why iTunes Match is slacking at the moment?
efktd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:27 AM   #132
baller1308
macrumors 6502a

I kind of forgot about iTunes 11, it's been so long.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:28 AM   #133
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68020

It's alright by me as long as it doesn't turn out to be another "Rushed POS"
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:29 AM   #134
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepower7 View Post
So I quickly read page 1,4 and 5 of this thread but didn't see anything mentioned about PowerPC compatibility.

Sorry if I missed any posts mentioning it but it makes sense if the new iTunes doesn't support PPC but:

I know many people using an old G4 PowerBook, with external hard drives, to serve as their iTunes music and video to their AppleTv.

How will the current AppleTV work, if it also gets a software upgrade?

Hopefully newer Macs get direct streaming like airdrop?

What about AppleScript which Apple has been depreciating over the years, bc I use it often in iTunes.
I almost forgot about that. I love AppleScript, and I don't know why Apple is trying to kill it. It's very useful and easy to use!

I'm not sure if you knew this, but the latest version of iTunes 10 that is already out only runs on ≥ Snow Leopard, which doesn't run on PPC. The newest iTunes should work on newer PPC Macs, by the way. You know why? It works on Windows XP SP2, which can run on, say, a 1998 PC! And it doesn't work in Leopard, which was released in 2007, way after SP2 was released.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:29 AM   #135
The Bulge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
Do you have a big CD collection? Or do you keep AIF versions of your CDs? Or did you just pirate the entire Pirate Bay? 1.5TB of music is enormous
Mostly from audio CDs i purchased, some from old vinylsand some from iTunes. I keep everything in Apple lossless.
The Bulge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:29 AM   #136
msnyder7
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback666 View Post
Looking forward to these, hope the damm "problem" with itunes asking for password/login apple id everytime i open its fixed
Amen to that! All I want is for iTunes to show what I'm listening to on Facebook. Not sure why, but I want it.
msnyder7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:33 AM   #137
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I almost forgot about that. I love AppleScript, and I don't know why Apple is trying to kill it. It's very useful and easy to use!

iTunes should work on newer PPC Macs, by the way. You know why? It works on Windows XP SP2, which can run on, say, a 1998 PC!
It's because the PC didn't experience a migration to a totally different CPU platform like the Mac did.

Windows XP SP2 was compiled to up run on the archaic 32-bit Intel x86 platform.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:35 AM   #138
JS82712
Banned

let's hope this release doesn't break more things than it adds; in other words, I hope apple doesn't pull another iOS 6/ML on us.
JS82712 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:35 AM   #139
cipo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulge View Post
My iTunes library was around 3 TB last time i checked and about half of it is music. iTunes works fine here.
Do you use home sharing? My library is half as big (around 300GB music), and while accessing it from my Apple TVs works fine, opening the share from the Videos / Music app on my iDevices takes *forever*, if it finishes at all. That's especially embarrassing when there are 3rd party alternatives that access the same library almost instantly (e.g. Subsonic, AirVideo).

I'd still prefer to use Home Sharing for the streamlined interface, but right now this is impossible. Hope they fix this with iTunes 11, although I don't really believe it.
cipo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:35 AM   #140
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnyder7 View Post
Amen to that! All I want is for iTunes to show what I'm listening to on Facebook. Not sure why, but I want it.
because your friends are all so eager to know what you are listening to /s
JS82712 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:40 AM   #141
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

Quote:
There needs to be an iTunes light version for those of us who just need to play mp3s from a library. iTunes is way too bloated and there are many people that don't need and will never use the ipod, ipad, iphone connectivity, the app store, music store, etc. I have no iDevices and don't need the extra junk that comes with iTunes.

also, itunes is really bad at handling libraries with over 200gb of music. it becomes a memory and cpu hog, sometimes hitting 200mb of ram... a simple mp3 player shouldn't use that much memory.
First, iTunes slowness has been a non-issue for me since the 2011 update, I have much more than 200GB and more than 100,000 songs. (Been buying CDs since the late 1980s)

Second, complaining about iTunes RAM usage is ridiculous when WebKit browsers (Chrome and Safari) will waste 28 MB real RAM on a single web page that is less than 50k text only info. WebKit is the most offensive computer offering RAM wise. Load a web page with automatic Flash loading and it may steal 500 MB of real RAM.
spacepower7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:48 AM   #142
jettredmont
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Do you have a big CD collection? Or do you keep AIF versions of your CDs? Or did you just pirate the entire Pirate Bay? 1.5TB of music is enormous!

----------

It was designed for iPods in version 2 and up, so you could say that it was not ORIGINALLY designed for iPods.
Well, yes, but iTunes 2 came out nine months after iTunes 1.0, alongside the release of the first iPod. Do you think the (skin-deep) changes made to SoundJam to make it iTunes 1.0 weren't made knowing the iPod was going to be coming out? Further, even iTunes 1.0 supported synching with "other" MP3 players (Diamond Rio, Creative Jukebox, etc).
jettredmont is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:52 AM   #143
skellener
macrumors 65816

Anyone think we'll get nice big album art and coverflow style browsing through the store? It could almost be like a real record/CD store except you can preview the tracks. Or will we still be stuck with crummy tiny album art, lots of wasted cluttered UI space, tiny text and poor discovery like we have now?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:07 AM   #144
The Bulge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipo View Post
Do you use home sharing? My library is half as big (around 300GB music), and while accessing it from my Apple TVs works fine, opening the share from the Videos / Music app on my iDevices takes *forever*, if it finishes at all. That's especially embarrassing when there are 3rd party alternatives that access the same library almost instantly (e.g. Subsonic, AirVideo).

I'd still prefer to use Home Sharing for the streamlined interface, but right now this is impossible. Hope they fix this with iTunes 11, although I don't really believe it.
Works fine on ATV, but i haven't tried it on iPhone or iPad. It all comes down to network speeds and device processing power. I imagine library that big will take some to cache on the device.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:16 AM   #145
ruvil
macrumors regular

I also think that iTunes match will launch in several new countries.

This just showed up in my Swedish account:

So far i only get an error message, but just a couple of days ago when i last checked - these itunes match options did not exist.
ruvil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:18 AM   #146
The Bulge
Banned

Quote:
First, iTunes slowness has been a non-issue for me since the 2011 update, I have much more than 200GB and more than 100,000 songs. (Been buying CDs since the late 1980s)

Second, complaining about iTunes RAM usage is ridiculous when WebKit browsers (Chrome and Safari) will waste 28 MB real RAM on a single web page that is less than 50k text only info. WebKit is the most offensive computer offering RAM wise. Load a web page with automatic Flash loading and it may steal 500 MB of real RAM.
Indeed. I have seen iTunes use 300 MB of RAm, but with 3 TB library it's pretty understandable in my opinion. The application is fast, starts in a bit more than one bounce in the Dock.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:19 AM   #147
wikus
Banned

Quote:

Thats a separate issue with WebKit and ultimately irrelevant. The topic at hand is iTunes.
wikus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:22 AM   #148
Popcutureboi
macrumors newbie

iTunes Match is not working (Since This Morning) in Australia! Please let 11 be faster!
Popcutureboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:23 AM   #149
Lvivske
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thats a separate issue with WebKit and ultimately irrelevant. The topic at hand is iTunes.
whats wrong with iTunes taking up 100-300mb of ram? who cares? that's a pittance
Lvivske is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:36 AM   #150
wikus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvivske View Post
whats wrong with iTunes taking up 100-300mb of ram? who cares? that's a pittance
For the purposes of it being a simple mp3 player and nothing more, this is unacceptable. If all developers were that lazy, we'd require a lot more than 8gb of RAM just to run software.

This is another reason why I refuse to switch to OS X 10.7 or 10.8. Snow Leopard is killer and was nicely optimized, I was super excited about it being released knowing how much under the hood work went into it.

The same should be done with iTunes or a lighter alternative that handles a full library.
wikus is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion