Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

products_itunes20110301.png
The Wall Street Journal has published a profile of Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services, Eddy Cue, which includes hints about the release date of iTunes 11.

The newest version of iTunes was expected to be released at the end of October. Instead the software was delayed with a new release date pegged at the end of November, and The Wall Street Journal believes it will come out as soon as tomorrow. The reason for the delay was reportedly due to engineering issues.
This week, Mr. Cue faces a test of how well Apple can keep up in online services with the launch of a new desktop version of iTunes, which is expected as soon as Thursday.

The new iTunes has been delayed a month by engineering issues that required parts to be rebuilt, according to people who have seen it.
iTunes 11 is expected to feature a redesign of the user interface in addition to enhanced iCloud integration.

The article goes on to detail Mr. Cue's role as "Mr. Fix-It" at Apple. Cue has taken over some of the most troubled projects at Apple, most recently taking responsibility for Maps and Siri.

Article Link: iTunes 11 to Launch as Soon as Thursday?

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Just let me stream my iTunes library to my iPhone/iPad (outside of my Wi-Fi network) and I'll be a happy camper!

EDIT - I mean my TV shows and movies :) ... and yes, I know there're 3rd party solutions for this.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm looking forward to seeing something new and hope we don't lose any necessary functionality, even the simplest of things. :)

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
why can't you do that? i do that all the time!?
itunes match is the way to go, buddy!

I don't think it "technically" streams... I don't mind keeping the songs on my phone for future use, though.

BTW, anyone sees music reported as others? I see 5-6GB of other, 2 GB of Music in iTunes, but the about on my phone shows 7-ish GB of music... Yeah, I should report it, I know...

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
Tomorrow is the day it releases, and tomorrow is the day we see 600 threads appear noted how user X hates this or that feature. *sigh*

patrickvanzandt

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
U.S.A.
Just let me stream my iTunes library to my iPhone/iPad (outside of my Wi-Fi network) and I'll be a happy camper!

Isn't this what iTunes Match does for you? Of course that's via Apple's servers (not direct streaming from your computer(s) to your iOS decice(s)), but isn't the end result the same? Or am I missing something here?

UPDATE: Ok I see what you mean. You want to stream video content as well. Hmm that would make a really nice enhancement to iTunes Match if you ask me! :)

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
Isn't this what iTunes Match does for you? Of course that's via Apple's servers (not direct streaming from your computer(s) to your iOS decice(s)), but isn't the end result the same? Or am I missing something here?

Some people have complained that the iTunes match options are 256kbs instead of 320 that is in their library on their computers...i can't speak for patrick but i hear that a lot.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Some people have complained that the iTunes match options are 256kbs instead of 320 that is in their library on their computers...i can't speak for patrick but i hear that a lot.

iTunes Match songs are the same quality as on the iTunes Store, exact same versions

So 256kbs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.