Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:36 PM   #1
rsted222
macrumors member

How do you backup your computer

Trying to figure best way to back up my iMac. I've been downloading lots of video from camcorder and my memory is getting sucked up. I have an external that's about 300gb, but it's full.

I'm thinking about carbonite...what say you?
rsted222 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:39 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsted222 View Post
Trying to figure best way to back up my iMac. I've been downloading lots of video from camcorder and my memory is getting sucked up. I have an external that's about 300gb, but it's full.

I'm thinking about carbonite...what say you?
I use Carbon Copy Cloner for all backups. You can use version 3.5.1 ($40) or 3.4.6 (free).
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:44 PM   #3
rsted222
macrumors member

Not sure if my Mac is acting strange, but...

I just erased my external and then dragged my picture file (about 50gb) to it and it's taking a LONG time to copy. I have the 2011 iMac and it seems it shouldn't take this long...saying an hour.
rsted222 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:49 PM   #4
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

I use Time Machine for the time being. I had no idea CCC existed so until I get another external HD, TM will have to do.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Scrapula
macrumors 6502

Right now I use Arq and backup to Amazon's Cloud. It costs me about $5 per month for storage. They have a new storage server that only costs pennies per month if you do not access the data often.

When I get the new iMac, I will probably just copy over to an external drive.
Scrapula is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:52 PM   #6
MatthewAMEL
macrumors 6502

Use the 3-2-1 rule for data.

3 copies of your data
2 on-site (production/local backup)
1 off-site (Crashplan, etc.)

I use Time Machine and Crashplan.

Granted, the 1st backup to Crashplan took 4 months (4TB), but it's done now and subsequent backups take minutes.
MatthewAMEL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:28 PM   #7
mchoffa
macrumors 6502

fire/water proof ioSafe for constant time machine backups, then a small portable time machine backs up to every couple weeks and I keep off site
mchoffa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:31 AM   #8
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

Here's a simple, relatively cheap, not-physically-attractive way to backup your computer:

1. Get one of these gadgets for as little as $20-25:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...usb3+sata+dock
(many items shown, they all work the same, just pick one you like that's cheap)

2. Download the FREE version of CarbonCopyCloner (version 3.4.7) from here:
http://www.bombich.com/download.html
(disregard the warning about what systems it works with, works fine for me with 10.8)

3. Get one or two "bare" SATA hard drives from the vendor of your choice (or, do you know anyone who has an old drive lying around they don't need anymore?)

Put the drive into the dock, connect it, turn it on, initialize with Disk Utility.
Use CCC to "clone" the contents of your internal to the docked drive.

You now have a "bootable clone" -- a fully bootable backup of your main drive. If you need something from it, just connect and it will mount in the Finder, then copy over what you need. You can even "re-clone" the entire backup back to the internal drive if you need to.

If you run off a second cloned copy, keep that somewhere "off-site" (office, bank vault, even a fireproof/waterproof box in your basement). That way, if the house burns down, you'll STILL be backed up.

You can also periodically boot from the docked drive, to do regular maintenance on the internal hard drive.

There is NOTHING you can buy that will beat having a bootable clone backup close-at-hand during a "moment of extreme need". You ALWAYS want to have a second bootable copy of the OS and your data close by.
Fishrrman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:47 AM   #9
kaelell
macrumors 6502

I am liking that idea, is there any issue that I might of overlooked with using this carbon copy with a 1TB fusion drive setup? Would it just recognise it as 1 drive and copy it all? and in that case would it still be able to boot from it.

thanks
kaelell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:49 AM   #10
xgman
macrumors 68040

Simply carbon copy clone to a usb 3 drive. I boot to a spare drive osx install first to make sure I get it clean.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:14 PM   #11
hacke
macrumors member

CCC and time machine backup, but will soon move over to a NAS solution.
hacke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:21 PM   #12
bflowers
macrumors 6502

Time machine for most stuff. Manually dump movies and music to an external as I get them. Photos get TM-ed, but manual copies every few weeks. I burn batches of them to DVD for off site storage when I have enough to fill a disc. Off site is my parent's house, my old room's closet! Don't yet trust the cloud options yet, because I don't want my files to be shared by hackers with the rest of the world.
bflowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:37 PM   #13
RexTraverse
macrumors 6502

Time Machine for my system, which is enough since I almost always have my laptop with me and TM is at home. I don't keep anything that sensitive on the system itself, so this is more for convenience that in case something happens, chances are it only happens to one of the drives.

I have a RAID 1 external that I keep the bulk of my documents, including can't-lose documents, on with a third physical hard drive kept secured off-site. Every month, I swap the third one in and one of the others out so all three are kept up-to-date. A cloud solution like Crashplan is probably more convenient, but there's that little bit of paranoia inside that feels safer and more secure doing it this way.
RexTraverse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:39 PM   #14
aerok
macrumors 65816

CrashPlan all the way. Unlimited space for only $5 a month, no excuse not to use their service.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:46 PM   #15
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

A combination of Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner. Time Machine for our MBP, CCC for everything else. It all goes to a WD My Book Live NAS (2TB).
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:25 PM   #16
old-wiz
macrumors 604

SuperDuper clones rotating different clone drives, one in vault.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:31 PM   #17
skyenet
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacke View Post
CCC and time machine backup, but will soon move over to a NAS solution.
I use all three methods. Time Machine to a USB External drive. The NAS I bought is a Synergy 212J with 2x3Tb hard drives and I use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup up to it. Also use CCC to backup to other external drives.

When I had my hard drive replaced through the current iMac Hard drive replacement program I used my Time Machine backup to re-install my Data and it was dead easy.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:42 PM   #18
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

Post In my working setup....

I have a external Thunderbolt drive and use CCC to backup. Normal backups ranging in size from 5.5 to 12.5 GB. Pretty fast, I know!

Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:51 AM   #19
windowpain
macrumors 6502

I use Time machine as my day-to-day backup.
And CCC as a weekly clone, just incase my hdd dies (on a 2.5" shock resistant, waterproof external drive.)
I also use Backblaze as a primary back-up incase I lose the contents of my apartment.

I also just started using Amazon Glacier, as it seemed dirt cheap, and will offer further redundancy.

It may seem a little over the top, but given where I live, natural disasters are a a very real possibility.
Backblaze is good, but they delete your data after a certain time, and don't back up certain file types. Glacier is really a very last resort, which I hope I never use.

All in, I think I am paying about $5 a month for almost guaranteed certainty that I never lose any data. Works for me.
windowpain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:03 AM   #20
noteple
macrumors 6502a

Many Mac's and PC's between house and office.

All back up to server running FreeNas from Freenas.org. The macs use a time machine share on the Nas.

Also have complete cloned drives using CCC and now SuperDuper.

Offsite is CrashPlan. Their service allows you to backup all your machines for one low price.
Utility runs in the background spitting out files during idle moments.

CrashPlan does not backup system files, just the data you created, pictures, videos, PDF, etc..
noteple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:48 AM   #21
uptownnyc
macrumors regular

Originals on the drive.
Windows Home Server for local backup - which also mirrors locally to itself in case one of its drives fails.
CrashPlan for remote backup.
uptownnyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:41 PM   #22
barrett14
macrumors regular

I use www.backblaze.com
barrett14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:44 PM   #23
TammyW
macrumors newbie

We use an online backup system, but I also have two separate drives (1TB and 1.5 TB) where I backup my pictures.
TammyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:27 PM   #24
jclardy
macrumors 68020

I use Crash Plan. Mainly because for multiple computers it is cheaper than the other online backup services.

The client software is Java though, which kind of sucks, but it does work on both Mac and PC. Occasionally when you plug in a new disk it will take up high amounts of CPU while scanning - but you can tell it to take a break if need be.

But I also have a local time machine backup. Just for redundancy.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:53 PM   #25
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

I've tried, on trial basis, cloud type services like Carbonite and Crash Plan, but found them lacking. Speed for one thing.

I have a 3.5 prong backup plan:

1. Time Machine for instant recovery of single files.
2. Nightly automatic incremental backup of all music, pics, video, docs to a Drobo using CCC.
3. Manual copying of my most important video, pics, docs to Drop Box.

3.5 Annually clone my video, photo, and docs drives to new ones (I have separate drives for each to minimize downtime and loss). I then store the old ones -- they'll eventually fail being stagnant, but since it's annual they won't all fail at the same time. Drives are so cheap these days it's the best insurance plan I know of.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac