Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
hi all, got my new mbp today and just got done cloning and installing my new vertex 4 I received along with it. I got blackmagic disk speedtest and ran it and here are the results:
write: 478.2
read: 453.1

are those good results for an ssd? sorry if its a dumb question but I am new to this. also, I now have my stock 500gb HD in an enclosure and would like to know if I need to partition it or anything in order to use it to hold my movies,music etc without affecting the original osx portion. what I want to learn to do is make it the default directly for everything iTunes related and I was reading the other night that you can setup an external HD to do so but can't remember where I read the how to. I am back on the search for it now but getting tired....

Last edited:

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
Your results are fine. It's the expected high performance for the Vertex model you've got. Sit back and enjoy.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Vertex 4 and Samsung 840 Pro are the two fastest and best SSDs on the market IMO.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I now have my stock 500gb HD in an enclosure and would like to know if I need to partition it or anything in order to use it to hold my movies,music etc without affecting the original osx portion. what I want to learn to do is make it the default directly for everything iTunes related and I was reading the other night that you can setup an external HD to do so but can't remember where I read the how to. I am back on the search for it now but getting tired....

If you want iTunes to recognise where your iTunes Music is you have to go into iTunes Preferences and in the advanced Tab set it to the external disk, if your music folder is already on that second partition then point it towards that Music folder.
Keep in mind though that iTunes won't find it unless the external is cconnected, but that seems to be obvious.:eek:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Man, I wished my SSD could increase the speedtest result for my internet connection ;)

lukester

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2009
RI
hi all, got my new mbp today and just got done cloning and installing my new vertex 4 I received along with it. I got blackmagic disk speedtest and ran it and here are the results:
write: 478.2
read: 453.1

are those good results for an ssd? sorry if its a dumb question but I am new to this. also, I now have my stock 500gb HD in an enclosure and would like to know if I need to partition it or anything in order to use it to hold my movies,music etc without affecting the original osx portion. what I want to learn to do is make it the default directly for everything iTunes related and I was reading the other night that you can setup an external HD to do so but can't remember where I read the how to. I am back on the search for it now but getting tired....

What is your computer model?
I just did a vertex in my Mid 2010 17" with 2.66 I7 8 gig and I did the speed test too.
I got 256 write and 260 read?

I wonder if thats it for me with my model of did I do something wrong.
Speed test with the HD 5400 500 gig was about 60 for both so I got a little over 4 times.. I like how snappy it is to open things and on and off.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
I just did a vertex in my Mid 2010 17" with 2.66 I7 8 gig and I did the speed test too.

Speed test with the HD 5400 500 gig was about 60 for both so I got a little over 4 times.. I like how snappy it is to open things and on and off.

It is a 2012 mbp 13 base model...

----------

If you want iTunes to recognise where your iTunes Music is you have to go into iTunes Preferences and in the advanced Tab set it to the external disk, if your music folder is already on that second partition then point it towards that Music folder.
Keep in mind though that iTunes won't find it unless the external is cconnected, but that seems to be obvious.:eek:

thanks j, so i can just direct everything to the itunes media folder in the original Macintosh hd partition on the drive i removed? also, should i do that or would i be better off leaving that partition alone and creating a seperate partition on the drive and not touching the mac hd portition?

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009

The 2010 has only Sata 2 aka 3G. Its theoretical maximum is only 280MB/s. 260 is just all you will ever get.
The faster felt speed doesn't come from those numbers. If you watch activity monitor you rarely ever see it co beyond 10MB/s sometimes with peaks of 40-70MB/s. Usually all that is needed and useful on a notebook with the notebook CPU is that 10-40MB/s random read speed. In random read an HDD only reaches 1.5MB/s and usually much less. That is the difference in the SSD.
Those high sequential numbers that those tests show are pretty much meaningless you only ever really need them when extracting archives or copying some big file on the same drive, or for certain operations like loading levels in games. Everyday work stuff that what people usually say feels fast with an SSD has almost nothing to do with those high sequential numbers.

If you had Sata 3 rather than 2 your notebook would feel any different at all. 200 or 500 MB/s is about the same in 95% of practical usage.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2009
RI
The 2010 has only Sata 2 aka 3G. Its theoretical maximum is only 280MB/s. 260 is just all you will ever get.
The faster felt speed doesn't come from those numbers. If you watch activity monitor you rarely ever see it co beyond 10MB/s sometimes with peaks of 40-70MB/s. Usually all that is needed and useful on a notebook with the notebook CPU is that 10-40MB/s random read speed. In random read an HDD only reaches 1.5MB/s and usually much less. That is the difference in the SSD.
Those high sequential numbers that those tests show are pretty much meaningless you only ever really need them when extracting archives or copying some big file on the same drive, or for certain operations like loading levels in games. Everyday work stuff that what people usually say feels fast with an SSD has almost nothing to do with those high sequential numbers.

If you had Sata 3 rather than 2 your notebook would feel any different at all. 200 or 500 MB/s is about the same in 95% of practical usage.
Thanks
I was thinking about a new Mac but I went with the ssd upgrade .
I liked 17" AG screen. Works great for photography. Have win 7 boot camp and it works very well. I did hZve to do a clean install since had problems restore win clone of xp.. pain!

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
A better question is does knowing those numbers make any difference in how you use your mac? (Probably not).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.