Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:57 AM   #1
Sander
macrumors 6502

Peparing older Mac for sale w/ new OS?

Hello all,

I recently ordered a new rMPB, and am looking to sell my "Late 2008" 15" MBP. I found some hints on the net about how to restore it to factory defaults before selling it, but it came with 10.5 and I've since upgraded it to Snow Leopard and now Lion. I don't have any disks for those (bought them as download-only). Does anyone know how to wipe the machine so it has a "fresh" 10.7 install for a better "out of the box experience" for the person buying it? I presume the OS updates are linked to my Apple ID, so does that mean I'm stuck?
Sander is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:02 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post
Hello all,

I recently ordered a new rMPB, and am looking to sell my "Late 2008" 15" MBP. I found some hints on the net about how to restore it to factory defaults before selling it, but it came with 10.5 and I've since upgraded it to Snow Leopard and now Lion. I don't have any disks for those (bought them as download-only). Does anyone know how to wipe the machine so it has a "fresh" 10.7 install for a better "out of the box experience" for the person buying it? I presume the OS updates are linked to my Apple ID, so does that mean I'm stuck?
No, you could install Leopard and upgrade to 10.7 using your Apple ID, after this you need to delete your Apple ID Account from that computer and "Install" it on the new rMBP.

"Install" = Activate on new computer
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:46 PM   #3
Sander
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply justperry; I will try it out as soon as my new MBP is here.
Sander is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice