Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:34 AM   #1
weegrim
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Glasgow
2012 Mini UK SSD

Hey guys I appreciate the fact that SSD's have been talked to death on here but I'm thinking of installing a SSD in my new 2012 Mini. Now the problem I have and iv not seen a solution yet (please point me to it if there is) is where to get a OWC kit to keep the original drive and an SSD for customers in the UK. Can anyone help me out?
For the SSD I was looking at: http://m.ebuyer.com/318423
weegrim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:54 AM   #2
edunon
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
This company from Belgium sells it:

http://macupgrade.eu/catalog/hd-ssd-...c-139_248.html

I bought it from OWC and got away with custom charges in Dublin. Worked out a bit cheaper than that link, but I didn't know about them..
edunon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:31 AM   #3
weegrim
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Glasgow
Thanks for that il have a look at that site. Other question I have is do I need the kit or can I do it myself? I am willing to get my hands dirty!
weegrim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:32 AM   #4
Luap
macrumors 65816
 
Luap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
This is a UK based company and also sells the parts needed www.thebookyard.com
Luap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Adz76
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dagobah System
I ended up buying mine from the US, OWC was cheaper than iFixit by a way and they had a discount on the kit which swung it for me.

Also the shipping at iFixit is one choice only and it's much dearer than OWC where I chose the cheapest as I wasn't bothered about the speed of the delivery.

To be honest, if you have all the tools already then just buying the cable is the way to go as they mark up the kits for what is essentially just 4 rubber washers, 4 screws, the motherboard removal tool and a few screwdrivers that are ok but aren't eactly high quality.

The only part that might be awkward to get is the motherboard tool, but even that could be got around with something else like long thin screws or the like.

Last point is that if you don't buy in the US you will avoid the nasty double charge when the item hits customs here, the item incurred a 5 charge which Royal Mail duly paid on my behalf and then added an 8 on top of which is non-negotiable so thats an extra 13.

OWC should really factor a pre-paid customs charge in like Amazon does to stop this happening.
Adz76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:15 PM   #6
weegrim
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz76 View Post

To be honest, if you have all the tools already then just buying the cable is the way to go as they mark up the kits for what is essentially just 4 rubber washers, 4 screws, the motherboard removal tool and a few screwdrivers that are ok but aren't eactly high quality.

The only part that might be awkward to get is the motherboard tool, but even that could be got around with something else like long thin screws or the like.

Last point is that if you don't buy in the US you will avoid the nasty double charge when the item hits customs here, the item incurred a 5 charge which Royal Mail duly paid on my behalf and then added an 8 on top of which is non-negotiable so thats an extra 13.

OWC should really factor a pre-paid customs charge in like Amazon does to stop this happening.
I have a way of getting the kit from OWC, I would get a friend who lives in the US to post it out to me so I could try and avoid the double customs charge. So that could be an option. I have the torx screwdrivers and I think from a iPhone back plate that I repaired last year I may have a remover tool that I think could be used to remove the motherboard part. Are the the screws you mentioned needed? Any idea where I could get a cable at a reasonable price and not an inflated price like on those sites that are taking advantage of the situation (I feel, I may be wrong if thats the price they really are).

Last edited by weegrim; Nov 29, 2012 at 02:23 PM.
weegrim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Adz76
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dagobah System
The screws are used to secure the drive to the cage that the stock drive sits in. The second drive is fixed by adding the rubber washers into the mounting holes and once you've positioned the ssd in the screws hold it in place. I'm sure you could get everything in the kit if you look around a bit except for the removal tool ( which I reckon you could still do it without )

The cable is the difficult part. I did read that you might be able to ring an authorized repair agent ( NOT Apple store ) and get them to order it for you, not sure if that's true or how much but might be worth a call to find out.

If you know someone in US I'd go down that route, get them to split the item into 2 halves and label as a gift and you should be fine.

You can get the cable in a few select places in Europe including UK but the price I saw wasn't worth it.
Adz76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:59 PM   #8
weegrim
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz76 View Post
The screws are used to secure the drive to the cage that the stock drive sits in. The second drive is fixed by adding the rubber washers into the mounting holes and once you've positioned the ssd in the screws hold it in place. I'm sure you could get everything in the kit if you look around a bit except for the removal tool ( which I reckon you could still do it without )

The cable is the difficult part. I did read that you might be able to ring an authorized repair agent ( NOT Apple store ) and get them to order it for you, not sure if that's true or how much but might be worth a call to find out.

If you know someone in US I'd go down that route, get them to split the item into 2 halves and label as a gift and you should be fine.

You can get the cable in a few select places in Europe including UK but the price I saw wasn't worth it.
Great help, thanks for that! Just bought the Samsung SSD and I think by the sounds of it getting my friend in the US to post it out to me sounds like the best option, much less hassle just getting the kit then. So thanks for the tips!
weegrim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:20 AM   #9
Adz76
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dagobah System
No probs and good choice of drive, after doing my homework i went with the 830 and haven't regretted it for a second.

I used the iFixit guide for their photos and the OWC video guide and really took my time as I was paranoid about breaking something.

I see OWC have just updated their guide to include the 2012 mini as there are differences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63WL3Q7UujI

Good luck!
Adz76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:30 PM   #10
Luap
macrumors 65816
 
Luap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by weegrim View Post
Great help, thanks for that! Just bought the Samsung SSD and I think by the sounds of it getting my friend in the US to post it out to me sounds like the best option, much less hassle just getting the kit then. So thanks for the tips!
Why? I provided a link here yesterday to a company in the UK that already has the required parts. Its just the cable and screws (with rubber washers).
Its less hassle still, surely..
Luap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:31 PM   #11
dasx
macrumors 65816
 
dasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by weegrim View Post
Hey guys I appreciate the fact that SSD's have been talked to death on here
I doubt it. Why, because of FD? Please… FDs are a patch until whole SSD disks are much cheaper. That or a new technology shows up.

As soon as SSDs get to offer same capacities as other drives at similar prices any other drive will be dead.
__________________
Grey computer which does complicated stuff.
Cell phone that can talk to me. (Seriously).
"Fancy quote from dead guy"
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clone retina MBP SSD to a Samsung SSD to use in a 2012 Mac Mini? RTF Mac mini 3 Dec 24, 2013 09:00 PM
Adding a second SSD to 2012 Mini -- Boot from OEM SSD or 840 Pro? ombudsman Mac mini 5 Jun 23, 2013 03:25 AM
Buying Mac Mini (Late 2012) - FD or SSD from Apple or add own SSD voiding warranty? Solos79 Mac mini 34 Mar 29, 2013 04:22 AM
2012 Mini 2.6 Internal SSD and USB3 External SSD speed test propower Mac mini 44 Jan 21, 2013 04:29 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC