Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Loving the LEGO minifig Steve! ;)

B

[MOD NOTE]
I moved the Lego side discussion out of a Site and Forum Feedback thread and into a new thread

Last edited by a moderator:

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Thanks guys. I'm kind of a Lego maniac. I've been playing with/collecting them for 20+ years. I'm only missing something like 3 pieces out of the over 15,000 that I have from all the sets I've ever had. They're all cataloged and organized in ziplock bags with their directions and stuff. I was one of those freakishly neat children.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Thanks guys. I'm kind of a Lego maniac. I've been playing with/collecting them for 20+ years. I'm only missing something like 3 pieces out of the over 15,000 that I have from all the sets I've ever had. They're all cataloged and organized in ziplock bags with their directions and stuff. I was one of those freakishly neat children.

Damn, boy! (Although my Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon is 5195 pieces alone. ;) )

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Damn, boy! (Although my Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon is 5195 pieces alone. ;) )

I REALLY want that set. That and the Death Star. I just can't bring myself to spend $400+ on a Lego set. I settled for the smaller scale Millennium Falcon that came out last year.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I was a major LEGO kid. I spent hours and days playing with them from the time I can remember until maybe 12-13 years old.

30 years later, I still have all of them in some bins in the attic. I'm hoping that my now-7-month-old will grow to love them as he gets older. Purely so I can play with them again, too. :p

Mine are all piled into bins, but I hope to have some time to organize them one day.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I buy Lego sets, put them together, take them apart, then give the sets to my nephews. I get the fun of putting them together then they get the fun of having really sweet and expensive sets for free! They got a Lego Death Star out of it and almost all the LOTR ones recently.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I hate Legos as "play" toys. You will not change my mind. :p This was recently reinforced as my Grand kids play with them, break them, they fall apart, and constantly are losing parts. My wife insists on buying them. Yeach!

For building, they are great, but after this they need to be placed on a shelf and admired. My son who is now 30+ had about 20 sets that now reside in a big bucket. However one of his kits remain intact (I think :p) his Red X-Wing Fighter ($200 version) which is a piece of art, but definitely not made to play with, no frick'n way. I think this is it. 20"x18".

Red-Five-X-wing-Starfighter-1.jpg

Last edited:

jlsm511

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
KMIA
Legos defined my childhood, and I still get some now as a 27 year old, although usually only 2-3 sets per year. The detail and engineering behind them though is insane, and what they can do now would have been unthinkable to me back when I was a little kid.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I hate Legos as "play" toys. You will not change my mind. :p This was recently reinforced as my Grand kids play with them, break them, they fall apart, and constantly are losing parts. My wife insists on buying them. Yeach!

For building, they are great, but after this they need to be placed on a shelf and admired. My son who is now 30+ had about 20 sets that now reside in a big bucket. However one of his kits remain intact (I think :p) his Red X-Wing Fighter ($200 version) which is a piece of art, but definitely not made to play with, no frick'n way.

I can totally relate to your point of view. I have two boys age 9 and 5. They love legos and have a variety of them. The standard cycle is to build the set according to the instructions and then they begin to play with them during which they make modifications according to their impulsive little devious minds. At this point the possibility of ever reclaiming the original product is completely lost forever as the pieces ultimately end up in the play room in the void and formless abyss that is know as the "lego bucket". Watching this play out challenges me to the core as there is an internal struggle between the logical and organized side of me and the free spirited "let's just have fun" side of me. Ultimately, I end up on the free spirit side and don't intervene in their play, but the day one of them comes to me wanting to restore one of the sets to its original design will be a sad day. It will take all of my patience and love to not launch into a tirade about the importance of being organized and keeping things neatly in their place. Oh, the woes of parenting... :D

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I can totally relate to your point of view. I have two boys age 9 and 5. They love legos and have a variety of them. The standard cycle is to build the set according to the instructions and then they begin to play with them during which they make modifications according to their impulsive little devious minds. At this point the possibility of ever reclaiming the original product is completely lost forever as the pieces ultimately end up in the play room in the void and formless abyss that is know as the "lego bucket". Watching this play out challenges me to the core as there is an internal struggle between the logical and organized side of me and the free spirited "let's just have fun" side of me. Ultimately, I end up on the free spirit side and don't intervene in their play, but the day one of them comes to me wanting to restore one of the sets to it's original design will be a sad day. It will take all of my patience and love to not launch into a tirade about the importance of being organized and keeping things neatly in their place. Oh, the woes of parenting... :D

This is especially true if the children you hare handing these kits over to are to young to build them, as in our case. The kits were small, we built them a couple of days ago for the kids, and today were handed back a pile of bricks wanting us to build them again. I'm like, "ask your Nanna." :p

----------

I love lego's too! I have a boat load that I have not even taken out of the boxes yet.

Has anybody seen this bad boy!

http://www.dvice.com/2014-6-6/40000-piece-lego-star-destroyer-66-foot-long-behemoth

WOW:eek:

My favorites were the the Technic style lego's and the master builders/modelers (I think that is what they were called).

Keep them in the box for ten years then sell for a profit after they are discontinued. ;) We sold a bunch of Harry Potter buildings/castles at a profit and they were not even in the box, but my wife had to rebuild most of them to verify contents. :)
The Mall of America Lego store used to have some large builds 9' tall, but using larger blocks. That's the other thing, they are just plastic, too damned expensive. ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.